Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 70

Thread: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

  1. #21
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    DWI laws are over the top control by the state. Punishing people for potential outcomes is not right. If you want to punish them when they do kill someone you already have a law for that.
    so if your children are out riding their bikes and playing chicken with unsuspecting car drivers, you will wait til one gets killed to spank their butts?

    laws are meant to prevent as well as punish...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #22
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

    It all about the money making juducial business, nothing to do with safety. If you drive drunk, first offense you loose your car but you don't get a criminal record. Second offense you loose your car but you don't get a criminal record etc. BTW the car is lost regardless who owns it. Eventually driving while drinking will be a very expensive proposition. Although mandatory treatment for the hardcore cases would be required. I just disagree with criminalizing every offense that's seems to be difficult to cure.

  3. #23
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    It all about the money making juducial business, nothing to do with safety. If you drive drunk, first offense you loose your car but you don't get a criminal record. Second offense you loose your car but you don't get a criminal record etc. BTW the car is lost regardless who owns it. Eventually driving while drinking will be a very expensive proposition. Although mandatory treatment for the hardcore cases would be required. I just disagree with criminalizing every offense that's seems to be difficult to cure.
    Wrong. First offense in Texas you DO get a criminal record, but you don't lose your car. You lose your license for a year, but you can get an occupational license. I was convicted of DWI, and I still have my car. The judge gave me a break, though, and I only lost my license for 6 months. However, you are right about it being expensive. Lawyers fees, fines, surcharges, fines, classes, interlock fees, probation fees, forced donation to the 100 Club, and a few other small fees, put the cost of my DWI at 18 thousand bucks. You can be very sure that I won't be doing that again.
    Last edited by danarhea; 04-02-11 at 02:15 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #24
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Wrong. First offense in Texas you DO get a criminal record, but you don't lose your car. You lose your license for a year, but you can get an occupational license. I was convicted of DWI, and I still have my car. The judge gave me a break, though, and I only lost my license for 6 months. However, you are right about it being expensive. Lawyers fees, surcharges, fines, classes, interlock fees, probation fees, forced donation to the 100 Club, and a few other small fees, but the cost of my DWI at 18 thousands bucks.
    NO what I am saying is that you do loose your car but you get no criminal record. What you went through I am against, I would have simply taken your car and that would be it. No fines, no jail, no donations, no criminal record etc.

  5. #25
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    NO what I am saying is that you do loose your car but you get no criminal record. What you went through I am against, I would have simply taken your car and that would be it. No fines, no jail, no donations, no criminal record etc.
    Are you talking about Massachusetts? In Texas you don't.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #26
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Are you talking about Massachusetts? In Texas you don't.
    No what I am saying is this is, what I would like to see is what I stated . Ma. laws are basically the same as Texas. Putting people like yourself through the financial ringer along with a record I am strongly opposed to, this is all about money and financing the judicial machine this country has created.

  7. #27
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

    Laws against drunk driving are necessary, but they can be taken too far. In most of the country, I'd say they have been.

  8. #28
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    No what I am saying is this is, what I would like to see is what I stated . Ma. laws are basically the same as Texas. Putting people like yourself through the financial ringer along with a record I am strongly opposed to, this is all about money and financing the judicial machine this country has created.
    Oh, gotcha. Damn, am I dense today..... Oops, can I get an infraction for personally attacking myself? LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #29
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,604

    Re: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

    There is nothing illegal or dangerous about going to a tavern, having one or two beers with your buds, and then driving home. What is illegal is drinking to excess, then getting behind the wheel. It is the alcoholics who can't have one or two then quit, and those alcoholics shouldn't be drinking at all.



    None of us wants to share the road with drunks, do we?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #30
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Montana Republican Senator Bashes DWI Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    There is nothing illegal or dangerous about going to a tavern, having one or two beers with your buds, and then driving home. What is illegal is drinking to excess, then getting behind the wheel. It is the alcoholics who can't have one or two then quit, and those alcoholics shouldn't be drinking at all.



    None of us wants to share the road with drunks, do we?
    Exactly but taking a wrecking ball to their personal lives will not cure the problem and then marking them for life isn't right either. What I see is a system more interested in the taking of money under guise of so called justice, yet it is those who pay taxes and are law abiding who pay in the long run. Although I do agree in regards to the habitual drinker but I am sure there is another path opposed to punishing all for the acts of a few.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •