View Poll Results: The new ad against Walker

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • (supports Walker) - A fair attack

    2 16.67%
  • (supports Walker) - A character assassination

    4 33.33%
  • (supports Walker) - I don't know / Not sure

    1 8.33%
  • (opposes Walker) - A fair attack

    4 33.33%
  • (opposes Walker) - A character assassination

    1 8.33%
  • (opposes Walker) - I don't know / Not sure

    0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

    Democrats are running this ad against David Prosser, who is up for reelection for the Wisconsin State Supreme Court:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWif6...layer_embedded

    The 2 kids involved are suing the Catholic Church in Wisconsin for hiding the priest who molested them, and molested others after Prosser refused to prosecute them.

    But, from Prosser's perspective, here is the deal:

    1) Times were different back then. Prosser says that the reason he did not prosecute the pedophile priest was to spare the kids the emotional stress of taking the stand. He had no knowlege that the priest was a serial molester. The villain here was the Bishop, who hid the priest, which enabled him to continue molesting kids.

    2) Prosser is not Catholic, and so is not involved in a conspiracy to hide the priest.

    3) Prosser did make a ruling a few years ago that the Catholic church can be sued.

    From the Democrats' perspective - Because Prosser did not prosecute the molester, he enabled him to molest more kids, before he was finally prosecuted in 2004.

    This is a difficult subject. Also, since the outcome of this election is going to help decide the Constitutionality of Walker's union busting, and also help decide redistricting in Wisconsin, it is an extremely hot-button topic. No doubt, the Democrats are jumping all over this for partisan political purposes, and if Prosser were a Republican, they most likely would be defending him, as Republicans are, at the moment.

    Here is the issue in my poll - Many judges make bad decisons, without meaning to, and go on to distinguished careers. Is this the case with Judge Prosser? Does he deserve to be voted out, or is this just a power play by Democrats? I am categorizing the choices according to who and who does not support Walker's term as Governor of Wisconsin, so we can see how much of the issue is doing to divide along partisan lines.

    NOTE: If you are against Walker, do NOT make inflammatory statements against Walker. State why you believe as you do. If you are for Walker, please do the same, instead of name calling too.
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-28-11 at 03:28 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,046

    Re: Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

    Most likely this is a made up issue. I can't imagine a judge ignoring child abuse that he really though was a possibility. If they can prove that he went against his better judgement for money or something like that then prosecute the bastard and give him jail time but other than that this is just politics. Judge's can't be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  3. #3
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,474

    Re: Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post

    1) Times were different back then. Prosser says that the reason he did not prosecute the pedophile priest was to spare the kids the emotional stress of taking the stand. He had no knowlege that the priest was a serial molester. The villain here was the Bishop, who hid the priest, which enabled him to continue molesting kids.

    WTF... that's the worse, most pathetic excuse ever.

    It isn't his choice to decide if the children are capable of taking the stand or if they can't handle the emotional distress.

    I wouldn't vote for him. He should have thought about the consequences of not giving the victim a chance to prosecute the priest back then. Not only did more children get hurt, he might lose his job, and he should.

  4. #4
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Democrats are running this ad against David Prosser, who is up for reelection for the Wisconsin State Supreme Court:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWif6...layer_embedded

    The 2 kids involved are suing the Catholic Church in Wisconsin for hiding the priest who molested them, and molested others after Prosser refused to prosecute them.

    But, from Prosser's perspective, here is the deal:

    1) Times were different back then. Prosser says that the reason he did not prosecute the pedophile priest was to spare the kids the emotional stress of taking the stand. He had no knowlege that the priest was a serial molester. The villain here was the Bishop, who hid the priest, which enabled him to continue molesting kids.

    2) Prosser is not Catholic, and so is not involved in a conspiracy to hide the priest.

    3) Prosser did make a ruling a few years ago that the Catholic church can be sued.

    From the Democrats' perspective - Because Prosser did not prosecute the molester, he enabled him to molest more kids, before he was finally prosecuted in 2004.

    This is a difficult subject. Also, since the outcome of this election is going to help decide the Constitutionality of Walker's union busting, and also help decide redistricting in Wisconsin, it is an extremely hot-button topic. No doubt, the Democrats are jumping all over this for partisan political purposes, and if Prosser were a Republican, they most likely would be defending him, as Republicans are, at the moment.

    Here is the issue in my poll - Many judges make bad decisons, without meaning to, and go on to distinguished careers. Is this the case with Judge Prosser? Does he deserve to be voted out, or is this just a power play by Democrats? I am categorizing the choices according to who and who does not support Walker's term as Governor of Wisconsin, so we can see how much of the issue is doing to divide along partisan lines.

    NOTE: If you are against Walker, do NOT make inflammatory statements against Walker. State why you believe as you do. If you are for Walker, please do the same, instead of name calling too.
    I support Walker. I also think this is fair information to get out there. I don't see anything wrong with it. Is it prejudicial? Of course! But as long as the ads are truthful, then I fail to see a problem with them. Hopefully, he will be able to provide a satisfactory explanation. If not? Why should he be a member of the Supreme Court?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

    One of the two vicitims indicates that he belives the ad is just an inaccurate smear.

    Victim upset with new SC ad

    Todd Merryfield issued a statement in response to the ad, saying he is upset to see his court case being used as a political tool against Prosser. Merryfield goes on to say he finds the ad to be offensive, inaccurate, and out of context. Merryfield says he hopes the Greater Wisconsin committee will remove the ad, and hopes Prosser's opponent, Assistant Attorney General JoAnne Kloppenburg will encourage the organization to pull it.
    Prosser, has responded that the evidence at the time was insufficient. Additional evidence came out 25 years later which allowed for prosecution.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

    I'm for Walker and said it was a fair attack. However, my opinion is, it's somewhere in between a fair attack and character assassination.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    One of the two vicitims indicates that he belives the ad is just an inaccurate smear.

    Victim upset with new SC ad


    Todd Merryfield issued a statement in response to the ad, saying he is upset to see his court case being used as a political tool against Prosser. Merryfield goes on to say he finds the ad to be offensive, inaccurate, and out of context. Merryfield says he hopes the Greater Wisconsin committee will remove the ad, and hopes Prosser's opponent, Assistant Attorney General JoAnne Kloppenburg will encourage the organization to pull it.
    Prosser, has responded that the evidence at the time was insufficient. Additional evidence came out 25 years later which allowed for prosecution.
    In my best liberal voice: The victim is obviously being manipulated and coached by the vast right-wing conspiracy! Pay him no heed.

  8. #8
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    Re: Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    One of the two vicitims indicates that he belives the ad is just an inaccurate smear.

    Victim upset with new SC ad

    Prosser, has responded that the evidence at the time was insufficient. Additional evidence came out 25 years later which allowed for prosecution.
    According to this article:
    In 1979, then Outagamie County District Attorney David Prosser told a mother he did not want to prosecute a Green Bay priest who had abused her sons because "it would be too hard on the boys," newly released documents indicate.
    So it doesn't matter what the kid or Judge Prosser says, if it is documented that this is the reason why Prosser did not prosecute. However, I strongly feel that Prosser was not supporting the priest, which is why I view it as a character assassination. You have to look at the Democrats' motives. Why is this only finally, after many years, being brought out now, during an election campaign, and not before?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #9
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    According to this article:

    So it doesn't matter what the kid or Judge Prosser says, if it is documented that this is the reason why Prosser did not prosecute. However, I strongly feel that Prosser was not supporting the priest, which is why I view it as a character assassination. You have to look at the Democrats' motives. Why is this only finally, after many years, being brought out now, during an election campaign, and not before?
    If his character is assassinated by making this decision public, he assassinated his own character when he made it in the first place.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #10
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,474

    Re: Wisconsin Judge Prosser Assailed on Child Molestation

    I think the ad is fair, I don't know how it's not fair...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •