Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Bush could have vetoed those budgets... that's like saying the GOP is responsible for Obama's f**k ups now
    And then we'd hear the left whine because without a budget the gov't shuts down. So while Bush had ultimate veto power, that means nothing. Garbage in, garbage out. Sorry. The ball rests firmly in the lefts court. Either that, or Clinton can't take any of the credit for the budget so called "surplus" that passed under his administration because it was passed by a republican controlled congress.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 03-15-11 at 06:54 PM.

  2. #32
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    And then we'd hear the left whine because without a budget the gov't shuts down. So while Bush had ultimate veto power, that means nothing. Garbage in, garbage out. Sorry. The ball rests firmly in the lefts court. Either that, or Clinton can't take any of the credit for the budget so called "surplus" that passed under his administration because it was passed by a republican controlled congress.

    You libtards are hilarious.
    You're telling me that the GOP is responsible for this sh*tty economy... go head, keep repeating yourself. I am sure the Libtards will love it.

  3. #33
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Not true. Stop listening to media matters and NPR.

    When Obama took office, there was a 400 billion dollar deficit. Now there is a 1.4 trillion dollar deficit. He didn't triple the debt, he tripled the deficit. And considering the last 2 years Bush budgets were passed by a democratically controlled congress, you can't blame Bush for those.

    Obama
    Again, you do not read. The person I was quoting was foolish enough to say DEBT, not DEFICIT. They are different. And I am 1000000000% correct on the DEBT numbers, since it is your own freaking Treasury that posts the numbers.

    As for DEFICIT... again you are WRONG.

    CBO projects record $1.2 trillion deficit - Jan. 7, 2009

    The U.S. budget deficit in 2009 is projected to spike to a record $1.2 trillion, or 8.3% of gross domestic product, the Congressional Budget Office said Wednesday.
    This is from 14 days BEFORE Obama took office, and if we go by budget years, then the deficit is even worse during the last Bush budget going from 2008 to 2009. At best you can claim Obama had something to do with the budget after he took office, but by that time the deficit was already 1.2 trillion and in reality, most of the budget was set in stone by the Bush administration for most of 2009.

    So like it or not, you BOTH are wrong and have been listening to too much Fox News propaganda and dont let the facts hit you on the way out.
    PeteEU

  4. #34
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,686

    Re: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

    Well, I agree with much of the coming GOP message, including the decline message. However, Obama is both an embracer and a polite ignorer of American Exceptionalism viewpoints. The sad part is too many liberals and conservatives have no idea what the hell American exceptionalism is. American conservatives only see American exceptionalism as a positive force that includes being the best at everything at all times, or perhaps having a special mission in the world (however you interpret that to be executed). This is only a small fraction of the belief. It is also the embrace that for whatever massive reasons, America is qualitatively different from most of the world in a great number of subjects. For American liberals, I think the problem is that they are too eager to think that American exceptionalism is only being the best at x, y, and z, and to them that notion is idiotic, so American exceptionalism to them becomes some sort of jingoistic nonsense. I completely reject that line of thinking because it tends to give the concept no validity at all, when that is historically and sociologically bankrupt. So indeed, American liberals over the past few decades have been awfully tempted to swing too much in an European direction for my taste.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 03-15-11 at 06:49 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #35
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,686

    Re: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    Politico isn't liberal. A significant portion of conservatives/republicans don't think he's american. To fault them just for reporting that in an article that otherwise isn't critical of Republicans in general is silly. Simply looking for reasons to get butt-hurt.
    The tone of the article was more snarky than it needed to be.

    On one hand, a small portion of conservatives or Republicans believe he is not an American citizen by means of birth. On the other hand, more believe that his beliefs and actions run contrary toward Americanism. I obviously think the former is ridiculous, but the second one has only slightly more validity, but still vastly misunderstood. The American creed in many respects is heard over and over again in his rhetoric and actions. Nevertheless, much of his policy actions could likewise be argued to run counter toward American notions of being skeptical about the vast expansion of the Welfare state and so forth. Americans view themselves as united by creed rather than explicitly shared common ancestral history like in Briton, so the slogan un-American or anti-American is truly an ideological one. Do not completely discount it, because it will be hard to suggest that American liberalism in the late 20th and early 21st century has not tried to downplay the uniquely American ideal or tried not to wager its success on becoming more like the rest of the industrialized western nations.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 03-15-11 at 06:58 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    You're telling me that the GOP is responsible for this sh*tty economy... go head, keep repeating yourself. I am sure the Libtards will love it.
    Wow it'd be like crazy if they with-held declaring the recession until after the 2008 election not to completely kill the republican candidate or something!

    Naw I'm kidding. The recession started the moment the last winning vote was cast for obama then voo-doo magic took over the US and a recession magically happened the day after.

    knock knock... Do you remember when they declared the recession?

  7. #37
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,362

    Re: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Obama responsible for American decline?



    If you think our problems are less than two years in the making, I don't know what to tell you.

    edit: Generic "you," not referring to any individual.
    I don't think Americans see Obama as being responible, but rather Democrats/Liberals as a group are responsible. Obama is the leader of the Liberal Democrats and will get voted out in 2012.

  8. #38
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    America has declined and who all is responsible for it is not as important as having plans in mind to cure the problems.

    Using bad news for a campaign as I see it is very wrong. Obama got lucky but only because people were worked up into a frenzy of hate toward President Bush.

    As I have been saying right along it's time for a Statesman to come on the scene with a very positive workable, logical set of plans and do their best not to go on the attack because Obama or who ever it is on the Left is going to start of there.

    We need plans for a power source that is clean and relatively safe. It turns out that new technology is available for use in nuclear plants that eliminates the possibility of another situation as in on going in Japan. So there is that.

    As Donald Trump said we rescued the people of Iraq and so they need to be paying us back for it and there is no better way than with free oil. Iraq has the third largest oil reserves or was it the second.
    Next we could drop some of the Taxes that inhibit manufacturing along with stupid rules and regulations, and income taxes.

    There are lots of other things that could be done but someone has to present them in the right way and be forceful it it.
    Brilliant but simple Idea
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  9. #39
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Well, I agree with much of the coming GOP message, including the decline message. However, Obama is both an embracer and a polite ignorer of American Exceptionalism viewpoints. The sad part is too many liberals and conservatives have no idea what the hell American exceptionalism is. American conservatives only see American exceptionalism as a positive force that includes being the best at everything at all times, or perhaps having a special mission in the world (however you interpret that to be executed). This is only a small fraction of the belief. It is also the embrace that for whatever massive reasons, America is qualitatively different from most of the world in a great number of subjects. For American liberals, I think the problem is that they are too eager to think that American exceptionalism is only being the best at x, y, and z, and to them that notion is idiotic, so American exceptionalism to them becomes some sort of jingoistic nonsense. I completely reject that line of thinking because it tends to give the concept no validity at all, when that is historically and sociologically bankrupt. So indeed, American liberals over the past few decades have been awfully tempted to swing too much in an European direction for my taste.
    So what do you think American exceptionalism is

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: GOP 2012 theme: American 'decline'

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    So what do you think American exceptionalism is
    Geographic privilege?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •