Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    MISSING:


    ABC-NBC-CBS-PBS-CNN-PMSNBC

    Last seen trying to create Violent Racist Tea Partyers

    REWARD IF FOUND.

    .
    .
    .
    .
    I don't know if you've seen Japan lately...

  2. #22
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    well i suppose that he means the kind of folks who would threaten to blow up buildings full of innocent people, pbrauer





    looks like they're also going after the locals:

    That's a nice business you got there. Pity if anything were to happen to it if, say, you didn't toe the line and denounce Governor Walker like we're asking nice-like
    WOW!!!! A story by a right wing talk show host - I am not surprised.


  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no, i'm sure that they were made instead by the furious CSPAN lobby that has been denied it's Wisconsin Senate Coverage the past three weeks
    so i take that as a no?

  4. #24
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    remember, you gotta be nice to public employee unions....

    ....cause if you're not, they'll hurt you. …
    That's just a smear against public employee unions. You take a threatening letter by an anonymous nutjob and assign blame to all opponents of the recent anti-union legislative action. It's just guilt by association.

    Political violence is wrong and should be condemned. The letter represented a form of political violence. And, this libelous opening post represents a form of political violence. I condemn the author of the threatening letter and I condemn cpwill for his false and malicious post.

    But the right wing freak show is all atwitter about a recent letter, excerpted below, which identifies the history of collective bargaining in five decades of peaceful labor relations and that Scott Walker did not run on highly constraining collective bargaining in his gubernatorial campaign and then goes on to say:

    … In the event that you cannot support this effort to save collective bargaining, please be advised that the undersigned will publicly and formally boycott the goods and services provided by your company. However, if you join us, we will do everything in our power to publicly celebrate your partnership in the fight to preserve the right of public employees to be heard at the bargaining table. Wisconsin’s public employee unions serve to protect and promote equality and fairness in the workplace. We hope you will stand with us and publicly share that ideal. …

    — letter, from executive Director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association to Tom Ellis, President, Marshall & Ilsley Corporation¹

    Here's a forum member's take on it.

    Personally, this is a valid form of direct political advocacy. There's nothing wrong with withholding your patronage for businesses whose politics are contrary to your own. Conservative groups and liberal groups and groups in between all use the boycotts to express their displeasure with a business or public entity.

    cpwill and others in the right wing freak show want to distort that legitimate, public political expression into a kind of extortion. It's just more malevolence from repeat offenders.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  5. #25
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

    Hey look, they caught one of 'em.
    News that the state Justice Department has identified one suspect in connection with death threats sent to Republican state senators comes as at least a minor relief to Sen. Glenn Grothman (R-West Bend).

    Snip

    The suspect admitted to writing two e-mails, threatening to kill Gov. Scott Walker and members of the Senate, according to a press release from the department. Grothman told Patch that he was among those who received a threat.

    "The Division of Criminal Investigation takes these kind of threats seriously and will follow through with the investigation and prosecution whenever possible," DCI Administrator Ed Wall said in the release.

    "I and the group of people that are working with me have decided that we've had enough," one of the threatening e-mails read. "We feel that you and your Republican dictators have to die."

    The message then went on to say the "group" planned to shoot the senators, and plant bombs in various locations, such as their homes and cars.

    "If you and your goonies feel that it's necessary to strip the rights of 300,000 people and ruin their lives, making them unable to feed, clothe and provide the necessities to their families and themselves then we will 'get rid of' (in which I mean kill) the eight of you," the e-mail continued. "Please understand that this does not include the heroic senator that risked everything to go aganist what you and your goonies wanted him to do."

    The second message was much shorter, and stated:

    "(Expletive) you, (expletive). I am formally requesting to see the 30,000 e-mails you have gotten making you comply with the open records law. I assure you that none of them are in support of you or anything that you or your staff stand for. Your staff members have now been added to the hit list as well as those of the other Senate members we have threatened. Please advise them of the impending danger leading to their deaths."
    http://portwashington-wi.patch.com/a...lican-senators
    Last edited by X Factor; 03-12-11 at 07:02 PM.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  6. #26
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Hey look, they caught one of 'em.
    Good, they need to throw the book at em if guilty.

  7. #27
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    That's just a smear against public employee unions. You take a threatening letter by an anonymous nutjob and assign blame to all opponents of the recent anti-union legislative action. It's just guilt by association.

    Political violence is wrong and should be condemned. The letter represented a form of political violence. And, this libelous opening post represents a form of political violence. I condemn the author of the threatening letter and I condemn cpwill for his false and malicious post.

    But the right wing freak show is all atwitter about a recent letter, excerpted below, which identifies the history of collective bargaining in five decades of peaceful labor relations and that Scott Walker did not run on highly constraining collective bargaining in his gubernatorial campaign and then goes on to say:

    … In the event that you cannot support this effort to save collective bargaining, please be advised that the undersigned will publicly and formally boycott the goods and services provided by your company. However, if you join us, we will do everything in our power to publicly celebrate your partnership in the fight to preserve the right of public employees to be heard at the bargaining table. Wisconsin’s public employee unions serve to protect and promote equality and fairness in the workplace. We hope you will stand with us and publicly share that ideal. …

    — letter, from executive Director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association to Tom Ellis, President, Marshall & Ilsley Corporation¹

    Here's a forum member's take on it.



    Personally, this is a valid form of direct political advocacy. There's nothing wrong with withholding your patronage for businesses whose politics are contrary to your own. Conservative groups and liberal groups and groups in between all use the boycotts to express their displeasure with a business or public entity.

    cpwill and others in the right wing freak show want to distort that legitimate, public political expression into a kind of extortion. It's just more malevolence from repeat offenders.
    They can threaten to boycott, we can propose reverse boycotsts and CP can post about it and provide his own take. Just because you disagree with him, doesn't mean he's doing something wrong or "libelous". Language like that is intended to put a damper on opposing views. You must be union. LOL

    I tried once to get you to condemn union violence, you wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by X Factor; 03-12-11 at 07:12 PM.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #28
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

    Out of curiosity which senator was it that "went against" what the others wanted him to do?

  9. #29
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Out of curiosity which senator was it that "went against" what the others wanted him to do?
    I don't know.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  10. #30
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: 18 Republican Senators now recieving death threats in Wisconsin

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    … Just because you disagree with [cpwill], doesn't mean he's doing something wrong or "libelous". …
    I agree! Or, at least I agree with the statement that just because I disagree with something cpwill posts or you post for that matter, does it necessarily mean he or you have done something wrong. We must examine the content of the post and in the case where an individual made a threat, cpwill painted a whole political movement with that individual's crime. That's wrong. That's libelous. That you are unable to see that or choose not to see that is disappointing to me. It tells me you are either unable or unwilling to have an honest discussion about a pretty basic aspect of political discourse: a shared understanding of the facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    … I tried once to get you to condemn union violence, you wouldn't do it.
    For my part, I have consistently opposed political violence in all forms in this country; apart from being morally wrong, it is also ineffectual. To succeed in American politics, one must align oneself with people's aspirations and speak to their imaginations.

    However, there are cases where people attempt to deflect discussions into irrelevant things and I think this was the case you are failing to link to. Correct me if I am wrong, but, as I recall you were incapable or unwilling to stay on-topic.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •