Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Borderland Beat: Why Mexican cartels grew out of control

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Borderland Beat: Why Mexican cartels grew out of control

    This is something a special forces soldier said on the Mexicans: "I have worked EXTENSIVELY in Colombia from 1990 until recently. Even did a four year stint there. I now work with the Mexican Army and I have to say they are worse off now than Colombia ever was at its worst (my opinion). I love my job (what SF guy doesn't like working with foreign nationals) but, at the end of the day, they are almost hopelessly corrupt and truly clueless. Unlike other LATAM nations, Mexico carries alot of historical animosity towards the US (no matter what you may hear). This precludes them from asking for real help (i.e.- military might v. "security assistance"). until they can get past that (and, if the PRI takes over again, they probably won't) it's only going to get worse. "

    Borderland Beat: Why did Mexican organized crime grow so out of control?

    Conventional wisdom states that Mexican organized crime is fighting the government of President Felipe Calderón because he has confronted corruption and ended a long-time pact between the former PRI governments and cartel members. This explains the escalation of violence and the shift of crime gangs to other lines of business such as human trafficking, counterfeit goods and selling drugs in the local market.
    Thoughts? If any?

  2. #2
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Borderland Beat: Why Mexican cartels grew out of control

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    This is something a special forces soldier said on the Mexicans: "I have worked EXTENSIVELY in Colombia from 1990 until recently. Even did a four year stint there. I now work with the Mexican Army and I have to say they are worse off now than Colombia ever was at its worst (my opinion). I love my job (what SF guy doesn't like working with foreign nationals) but, at the end of the day, they are almost hopelessly corrupt and truly clueless. Unlike other LATAM nations, Mexico carries alot of historical animosity towards the US (no matter what you may hear). This precludes them from asking for real help (i.e.- military might v. "security assistance"). until they can get past that (and, if the PRI takes over again, they probably won't) it's only going to get worse. "

    Borderland Beat: Why did Mexican organized crime grow so out of control?



    Thoughts? If any?
    Yikes.

    10 character limit

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Borderland Beat: Why Mexican cartels grew out of control

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Yikes.

    10 character limit
    Whats worse is that I know the animosity Mexican's hold against the US. I have experienced it first hand on many occasions. This was done by my cousins too and most are born rich so you would have expected better. But nope. Many Mexican's abhor American's and what makes it unique. Is that it is not only the government they hate but the people too.

  4. #4
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Borderland Beat: Why Mexican cartels grew out of control

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    Whats worse is that I know the animosity Mexican's hold against the US. I have experienced it first hand on many occasions. This was done by my cousins too and most are born rich so you would have expected better. But nope. Many Mexican's abhor American's and what makes it unique. Is that it is not only the government they hate but the people too.
    Bit of a broad statement, Gray Fox. I know of a Mexican (Oxacan by birth) who wanted to join the American armed forces until he realized he had to be here legally first.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Borderland Beat: Why Mexican cartels grew out of control

    But nope. Many Mexican's abhor American's and what makes it unique.
    This isn't a case of them hating us cause we're better than them is it?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Borderland Beat: Why Mexican cartels grew out of control

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    This isn't a case of them hating us cause we're better than them is it?
    I think it is.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Borderland Beat: Why Mexican cartels grew out of control

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    I think it is.
    ^ funny.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •