Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 441

Thread: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

  1. #381
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    yes, i bought units from fresno pacific university, thru-the-mail education, for 110 dollars each

    it cost me 1650 therefore for every block of 15 units that moved me over a column, earning me a raise of about 1500 per year for life

    i maxed out, of course, years ago

    but i sent a lot of money to fresno pacific

    they still mail me their exciting new courses a couple times a year, a lot of bed and breakfast tours in historic sacramento, yosemite, the coast...

    i learned to pick the classes (actually, it was the "professors" that were the giveaway) which assigned the least work---motivating high school athletes, walking for health, great women mathematicians, discipline in the classroom...

    quite a few others

    i could crank out three SEMESTER units easily in an afternoon or two---in front of the tv

    make of that what you will

    i'd send money to an educational institution, i'd fill out a few dittoes, i'd mail it back

    i'd get a nice raise from MY educational institution

    i always thought it was kind of a racket

    but, hey, that's the INDUSTRY

    stay up
    not all teachers have that little game available to them....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #382
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    it's industry wide here in northern california

    it's the same for my sister in law in northern arkansas

    i know of no district where pay scale is not tied to units

    and units, like i said, are really very cheap, at least compared to the payoff

  3. #383
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Are you of the opinion that they make too much money? $50k is too much for our teachers? That is the area that we need to cut to make our country right again?
    There is no need to go here okay. Are you going to trot out the children next? Anyway, I think there is time in there that isn't counted, like teachers taking work home and so forth. Not arguing they shouldn't, but I've never had an issue with how much they make, but with what they teach and their competence.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #384
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    There is no need to go here okay. Are you going to trot out the children next? Anyway, I think there is time in there that isn't counted, like teachers taking work home and so forth. Not arguing they shouldn't, but I've never had an issue with how much they make, but with what they teach and their competence.
    IF only we could cut the pay of incompetent parents.....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #385
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    could you, perhaps, point me to some research that clearly demonstrates a link between teachers pensions and student performance?
    it never ceases to amaze me. offer to put into place a system of merit pay based on student performance, and it's SO implausible for the OBVIOUS reason that student performances have NOTHING to do with whether or not their teachers are quality or not........but offer to drop teacher compensation, and suddenly there's a VERY Real Immediate One-to-One Ratio DROP in student IQ!

    Their pensions are higher because they negotiated higher benefits with the taxpayer's representatives in exchange for the lower salaries they have. Their total compensation is no higher than in the private sector for the same education level. By eliminating collective bargaining you are reducing the capability to not only provide a compensation to attract and retain the best and brightest, but you are also committing schools to continued problems of high student to teacher ratios and decreased instruction time.

    "the states that actually have lots of teachers in teacher unions tend to be the states that have done the best in terms of academic success in this country. And the states that don't tend to be the worst."
    http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/week-...1506701&page=1
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #386
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,618

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    IF only we could cut the pay of incompetent parents.....
    We cant do that but we CAN change the rules so that disruptive students are removed from the system...so that an education is seen as a valued and desirable asset that requires work from the student and participation by the parents and the students and teachers that are anxiously engaged in the education process are not punished by those that are not.

  7. #387
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Their total compensation is no higher than in the private sector for the same education level.
    "they" work 181 days per year

    if you prorate my pay for 11 months work it comes to 95K

    PLUS my pension which is 400% of social security

    PLUS my tenured status

    PLUS the fact that workers in my industry very rarely commute, we live where the kids are

    PLUS the block schedule i teach which affords me 100 minutes of prep per day

    this year, for instance, i don't start teaching even days until 10:15, and odd days i have a one hundred and thirty five minute gap in the middle of my schedule (which is not necessarily a good thing)

    PLUS the fact that the most stress i really have to deal with is some high school girl with attitude

    get real

    teaching is a great profession, i highly recommend it

    we're one of the few industries these days with much measure of job security

  8. #388
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    "they" work 181 days per year

    if you prorate my pay for 11 months work it comes to 95K

    PLUS my pension which is 400% of social security

    PLUS my tenured status

    PLUS the fact that workers in my industry very rarely commute, we live where the kids are

    PLUS the block schedule i teach which affords me 100 minutes of prep per day

    this year, for instance, i don't start teaching even days until 10:15, and odd days i have a one hundred and thirty five minute gap in the middle of my schedule (which is not necessarily a good thing)

    PLUS the fact that the most stress i really have to deal with is some high school girl with attitude

    get real

    teaching is a great profession, i highly recommend it

    we're one of the few industries these days with much measure of job security
    you're a teacher???????? how disconcerting.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #389
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    "they" work 181 days per year

    if you prorate my pay for 11 months work it comes to 95K

    PLUS my pension which is 400% of social security

    PLUS my tenured status

    PLUS the fact that workers in my industry very rarely commute, we live where the kids are

    PLUS the block schedule i teach which affords me 100 minutes of prep per day

    this year, for instance, i don't start teaching even days until 10:15, and odd days i have a one hundred and thirty five minute gap in the middle of my schedule (which is not necessarily a good thing)

    PLUS the fact that the most stress i really have to deal with is some high school girl with attitude

    get real

    teaching is a great profession, i highly recommend it

    we're one of the few industries these days with much measure of job security
    No offense, but you're coming off as a really poor teacher. Do you always take the easiest route? Do you think you're serving your students well by equating prep time to free time? By putting bare minimal effort into attaining continuing education? Don't you have the personal responsibility to take advantage of the opportunities available to you that might make you a better teacher?

    Do many of your colleagues share your point of view on these things? How would you characterize the professional demeanor of those you work with every day?

  10. #390
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Last Seen
    11-06-13 @ 06:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    234

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    No offense, but you're coming off as a really poor teacher. Do you always take the easiest route? Do you think you're serving your students well by equating prep time to free time? By putting bare minimal effort into attaining continuing education? Don't you have the personal responsibility to take advantage of the opportunities available to you that might make you a better teacher?

    Do many of your colleagues share your point of view on these things? How would you characterize the professional demeanor of those you work with every day?
    How does being honest equate to, 'coming of as a really poor teacher'? Honesty is one of the most important ingredients I know of in the facilitation of the learning process. After all, while you may not admit it, the Prof just taught you something just now regarding teachers in California and you are not even in his/her classroom. Imagine the knowledge you would gain from spending a year in the Prof's classroom?

    To the Prof: I would like to thank you for the free education that you just provided me regarding your profession. It surely is refreshing to find an educator willing to think outside the box and not blindly promote the liberal teaching agenda. You are truly an asset to your profession and I would allow you to teach my children any day.

    Sincerely yours,
    Nevergolfpar

Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •