Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 441

Thread: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

  1. #331
    User Candice Lynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-21-11 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    77

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Enterance year - 30,000.00
    Five years - 35,000.00
    Ten years - 40,000.00
    Maxing out, based on performance, at $70,000.00.......

  2. #332
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergolfpar View Post
    I agree with cpwill, attracting the 'best and brightest' to the classrooms of America is not a smart allocation of this countries' intellectual capital. I do not want morons in our classrooms either (though I would want people of above average intelligence in America's colleges). The reality is, I would be more than satisfied with people of only average intelligence instructing across America. As a result, I believe a fair and equitable salary for a public school teacher would be approximately $35,000 per year. In other words, America's average income of $46,300 adjusted to 9 months of work (rounded up to the nearest thousand).
    Then why complain if a teacher isn't among the best?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #333
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Last Seen
    11-06-13 @ 06:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    234

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Then why complain if a teacher isn't among the best?
    You would never hear me complaining if the teachers of America would be paid properly. However, you will hear me complain very loudly, when we pay them the salaries they currently are being paid, and not delivering. Let's face it, the teachers in our society make an extremely good wage, yet our students are not even in the top 10% in the world. Raise the prices (i.e. cost of education) and I will raise my expectations. Fail to meet those expectations, expect to hear me complain. Obviously, the teachers in this country are failing at their jobs...yes they get an 'F'.

  4. #334
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,722

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Im coming into this conversation late...so...

    I have NO PROBLEM with paying an experienced qualified and competent teacher 100k in compensation, provided the community is willing to support it with increased taxes. Merit pay is a fine thing. The problem with collective bargaining is you end up keeping POS deadweight and have to fight unions to suspend or fire teachers. Thats why you have so many worthless POS teachers that discredit the rest.

  5. #335
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Im coming into this conversation late...so...

    I have NO PROBLEM with paying an experienced qualified and competent teacher 100k in compensation, provided the community is willing to support it with increased taxes. Merit pay is a fine thing. The problem with collective bargaining is you end up keeping POS deadweight and have to fight unions to suspend or fire teachers. Thats why you have so many worthless POS teachers that discredit the rest.
    All that is required is following a perscribed process. This is not unreasonable or evil. It is as possible that a poor administrator would seek to rid a good teacher as it is that a poor teacher would fight to hold onto a job. This is why procedures are put in place.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #336
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergolfpar View Post
    You would never hear me complaining if the teachers of America would be paid properly. However, you will hear me complain very loudly, when we pay them the salaries they currently are being paid, and not delivering. Let's face it, the teachers in our society make an extremely good wage, yet our students are not even in the top 10% in the world. Raise the prices (i.e. cost of education) and I will raise my expectations. Fail to meet those expectations, expect to hear me complain. Obviously, the teachers in this country are failing at their jobs...yes they get an 'F'.
    You make a leap, who says THEY are failing? Isn't it parents who are falling? Communities that are failng? Leaders who are failing? Your sid tends to reduce a sociatal problem down to one scape goat. The fact is, most teachers are doing a fine job. While o no one excuses the few poor teachers, your leap is simply inaccurate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #337
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Last Seen
    11-06-13 @ 06:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    234

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You make a leap, who says THEY are failing?
    You are kidding me right? Our schools are failing by every conceivable way they could possibly be measured. For example, the United States 14th out of 34 OECD countries for reading skills, 17th for science and a below-average 25th for mathematics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Isn't it parents who are falling? Communities that are failng? Leaders who are failing?
    Maybe so. If true, then all the more reason not to pay teachers huge salaries. If the teachers have no way of succeeding, then why pay them salaries that require them to succeed? Would our tax dollars not be better spent financing the continuing education of the best and the brightest students? Adopting such a philosophy would propel this country to greatness again by making education as competitive as athletics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Your sid tends to reduce a sociatal problem down to one scape goat.
    I never blamed the teachers. Just because I do not believe teachers should be paid $72,000 a year, does not mean I am against teachers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The fact is, most teachers are doing a fine job. While o no one excuses the few poor teachers, your leap is simply inaccurate.
    My leap is rooted in sound economic principals and logic. Regardless how a few teachers might or might not be doing a fine job, does not negate the fact that ALL of our children are being shortchanged from an education system which is not the envy of the world.

  8. #338
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    i'm also not sure our brightest and best should all go into teaching.
    Well now your position is clear. Thanks.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #339
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    I love this guy! And he has good points regarding Fox News. Thing is corporate welfare and crazy-ass bonuses are a different matter than teachers pay. I despise all the things Jon mentioned about corporations but its just a different topic.
    its not a different topic all, just different priorities.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #340
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Well now your position is clear. Thanks.
    well, ai'ts kindsavoufa "duh'. the bestst and the brighgtssest should be keeping mnucelar afacilitiesi safe, or things liket hata.

Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •