Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 441

Thread: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

  1. #141
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergolfpar View Post
    What skill set would that be? The ability to communicate in a clear and effective manner? A complete understanding of the subject matter being taught? What exactly is so different about teaching a person one on one verses teaching a group? Then again if that skill set is the payment of regular weekly union dues...you're right, I do not have such a skill set.

    Give me an opportunity and I swear to you I would succeed.
    Like most of us, you already have all the opportunities you need...pick one and go forth....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #142
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    ALright man...... teachers hardly do any work. They are there for SIX hours a day! Thats 30 hours a WEEK! They are off around 2 days a month for whatever lame holiday comes around. Then they have THREE MONTHS OFF!!! Their job is EASY! At least 3 out of 10 people could walk in and do their job with ZERO training.
    You know why its hard to get a teachers position? Because everyone and their cousin wants to be one! So they made it more difficult in Illinois to qualify. My friend Rob is a teacher. He used to be a retail book store manager. He said that was TWICE as difficult.

    Lets not even get into how difficult it is to fire a crappy teacher! Or their INSANE pensions! Beginning teachers should make no more than $27K a year and after ten years make no more than $37K a year. Now divide that salary by NINE...... NOT 12 since they only work 9 months. Plus they need to pay 20% of their benefits.
    You clearly dont know what teachers do..

    Also teachers are the cornerstone of our societies as they teach our children.

    Now, people like bankers who get FAR FAR more in bonus even for failure... why you not whining about them? They after all caused the financial ****hole you are in now. I bet that even if you combined every freaking teachers wage and benefit in the US, you would still not meet the bonus for failure that just one of the major banks gives out every year.

    This fake outrage against teachers and union members by the right is getting more and more pathetic... targeting the glue of society just because they usually support the opposition.

    It is so funny to watch the same talking heads from the right on Fox and other stations, rambling on about unions and teachers and yet defending bankers and the like... talk about being hypocrites.
    PeteEU

  3. #143
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Last Seen
    11-06-13 @ 06:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    234

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    When a school turns out college ready students, the teachers are doing their jobs.... The material is being presented. Don't blame teachers for lazy students and uncaring parents..
    Actually UtahBill there is a lot of truth to what you say about the students being lazy and parents uncaring. In fact, I agree with you whole heartily. When you boil this issue down to its most rudimentary element the sad state of America's educational system is indeed due to the lack of parenting. We all can go on for years debating education in America and you cut to the chase with your very poignant post. Well done! Though I would vehemently disagree with you that are schools are turning out 'college ready students'.

    However, your post does actually highlight the lunacy of those who advocate for large teacher salaries. After all, if this is a parenting issue, then why the hell are we paying $101,000 per year for people to teach our children? If the children are lazy and the parents don't care, no amount of money we pay our teachers will ever solve the problem. So I ask why throw good money after bad? Why not pay the teachers the same salary we pay our baby sitters? Are they not both doing the same job?

  4. #144
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Last Seen
    11-06-13 @ 06:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    234

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Like most of us, you already have all the opportunities you need...pick one and go forth....
    Maybe so. The opportunities I have had in my life are all of my own making. I have clearly chosen the path I am currently on--both the good and the bad. However, that does not mean that should I venture down another path, I would not be equally as successful. My guess is you are similar to me in that regard. However, that still does not mean that either of us are not qualified to teach or do anything else in life.

  5. #145
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    you only pay 3% toward your health and life iinsurance?YOUR SCREWING THE TAXPAYER!! CADILLAC BENEFITS!!!
    we're both getting screwed. the government health insurance (Tricare) that I am forced to purchase is atrocious. i would MUCH rather simply take (say, 2/3rds; but i would take a half) of the money they are spending on my family insurance plan into the market and purchase an HSA / hgh deductible plan.

    ok, rant over if you stay in 20yrs, you deserve it.
    ah, but if i were just allowed to pursue the plan outlined above we would both be better off.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    132

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    First, it's actually $59,500 in salary. The rest is in "benefits" which the article refuses to define. That's like me paying $50 for cable which advertises "benefits" of 100 channels, but I'm only interested in 20 of them because the rest are crap like the Home Shopping Network. What are these $41,591 in benefits the teachers have?

    Second, a quote from JFK: “Children are the world's most valuable resource and its best hope for the future

    Do we really want to go to the lowest bidder with our most valuable resource?
    Last edited by Divine Wind; 03-06-11 at 10:58 AM.

  7. #147
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergolfpar View Post
    Actually UtahBill there is a lot of truth to what you say about the students being lazy and parents uncaring. In fact, I agree with you whole heartily. When you boil this issue down to its most rudimentary element the sad state of America's educational system is indeed due to the lack of parenting. We all can go on for years debating education in America and you cut to the chase with your very poignant post. Well done! Though I would vehemently disagree with you that are schools are turning out 'college ready students'.

    However, your post does actually highlight the lunacy of those who advocate for large teacher salaries. After all, if this is a parenting issue, then why the hell are we paying $101,000 per year for people to teach our children? If the children are lazy and the parents don't care, no amount of money we pay our teachers will ever solve the problem. So I ask why throw good money after bad? Why not pay the teachers the same salary we pay our baby sitters? Are they not both doing the same job?
    Multiply 30 kids times what a baby sitter gets per hour....the baby sitter gets more.
    Day care, average per month, is $600 for a toddler, so one link says. 30x600 is $18,000 per month......
    Teachers should all quit teaching at schools and open day care centers, that teach.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #148
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    the last few decades have seen teacher compensation soar and student scores plummit. I'm thinking I would like to see your evidence that there is that strong a correlation between the two at this point.

  9. #149
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    the last few decades have seen teacher compensation soar and student scores plummit. I'm thinking I would like to see your evidence that there is that strong a correlation between the two at this point.
    And I would like to see your data supporting both of your claims as well.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #150
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: $101,091: Annual Compensation for Average Milwaukee Teacher

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergolfpar View Post
    Maybe so. The opportunities I have had in my life are all of my own making. I have clearly chosen the path I am currently on--both the good and the bad. However, that does not mean that should I venture down another path, I would not be equally as successful. My guess is you are similar to me in that regard. However, that still does not mean that either of us are not qualified to teach or do anything else in life.
    All your own making? Maybe not...did your parents insist you do your homework and get good grades? Did they support you in any way while you went to college? Good parents are the start. You have to have a license to cut hair but not to make babies. If only good parents had babies, we would be better off.
    The one thing I had going for me at age 18 was that I knew for sure that I was on my own.....except for my rich Uncle Sam who let me join his navy, paid me a small stipend plus room and board to attend his technical schools, and then let me serve for 12 years to get experience on the job.
    I didn't get good grades in high school, but did in military schools. The methods used by military instructors are better than most public schools....no fluff, no assemblies, no field trips, just goals to meet every few weeks. Step by step, you follow the plan and months later, you have been paid to learned a skill that privately owned tech schools would have charged you a fortune for.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •