Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 80

Thread: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

  1. #61
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I have seen no evidence
    Because you never look.

    that Discouraged workers is cumulative and why would it be since none of the other numbers are cumulative. Here is what the Employment Summary states
    RIGHT THERE IS EVIDENCE. If the data was monthly increases, then discouraged workers from Feb 2010 to Feb 2011 would have increased by over 12 million, resulting in a decline of 12.184 million discouraged workers. Instead, the decline was 184,000. Furthermore it says TOTAL for the month. Not INCREASE from prior month. Seriously, did you entirely skip math in school?

    Furthermore, a GIANT ASS SIGN it's cumulative is that the first line is "NOT IN THE LABOR FORCE." If this was monthly increases, it would outpace the population of the entire country within 5 months. So yes, the other numbers are indeed cumulative. Table A-14 is cumulative as well. If the table is not cumulative, there is a title for the change either in total or percentage, table B-4 for example.

    Good grief. You've been citing this data and you can't read it properly?

    Table B-4. Indexes of aggregate weekly hours and payrolls for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls by industry sector, seasonally adjusted

    So where is the evidence that the number is cumulative and not monthly? I suggest you don't buy information given you by another liberal just because that is what you want to believe. Maybe you ought to do a better job fact checking since you take great pride in your research.
    See above. I'm embarrassed for you.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #62
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Actually, everyone is at fault here. The corps went crazy, the government didn't regulate them and the people didn't do their job to make sure that the government worked for them. The crisis started before Obama was in office, yet he continued it by pushing for a stimulus which was not enough. To blame these problems solely on Obama is idiotic and childish at best.
    He's not interested in that. Anyone who is blaming the current ecnomic state on Obama is completely ignorant (hopefully willingly) and mostly likely baiting to begin with. This is simply one more talking point that is one giant non sequitur and it generally serves no purpose.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Because you never look.



    RIGHT THERE IS EVIDENCE. If the data was monthly increases, then discouraged workers from Feb 2010 to Feb 2011 would have increased by over 12 million, resulting in a decline of 12.184 million discouraged workers. Instead, the decline was 184,000. Furthermore it says TOTAL for the month. Not INCREASE from prior month. Seriously, did you entirely skip math in school?

    Furthermore, a GIANT ASS SIGN it's cumulative is that the first line is "NOT IN THE LABOR FORCE." If this was monthly increases, it would outpace the population of the entire country within 5 months. So yes, the other numbers are indeed cumulative. Table A-14 is cumulative as well. If the table is not cumulative, there is a title for the change either in total or percentage, table B-4 for example.

    Good grief. You've been citing this data and you can't read it properly?

    Table B-4. Indexes of aggregate weekly hours and payrolls for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls by industry sector, seasonally adjusted



    See above. I'm embarrassed for you.
    Actually you ought to be embarrassed for yourself, if it was cumulative they wouldn't comparing it to a year ago but instead last month. Keep diverting however from the fact that 1 million Americans dropped off the unemployment roles in February which is what lowered the unemployment rate.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    He's not interested in that. Anyone who is blaming the current ecnomic state on Obama is completely ignorant (hopefully willingly) and mostly likely baiting to begin with. This is simply one more talking point that is one giant non sequitur and it generally serves no purpose.
    No one is blaming Obama for the economic mess he inherited although as a member of Congress he is partially responsible for not preventing it. Bush is blamed but no one blames Congress for doing little or nothing and it was under Democratic control. What I blame Obama for is the economic policy that did nothing to solve the economic problem but instead prolonged it as the numbers show.

  5. #65
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What I blame Obama for is the economic policy that did nothing to solve the economic problem but instead prolonged it as the numbers show.
    The economy was in such horrible shape when he took office, preventing the country from falling into another Great Depression was about the only thing Obama could do. Now you're crying because he didn't do enough for the economy?
    The economy is growing, the stock market is up. That's what the numbers show.

    Republicans controlled everything for 6 of the 8 years Bush was president. The economy started to tank in '06, you let the republicans off the hook and expect Obama to fix their mess in two years. Why?
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  6. #66
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

    USA_1;1059329394]The economy was in such horrible shape when he took office, preventing the country from falling into another Great Depression was about the only thing Obama could do. Now you're crying because he didn't do enough for the economy?

    The economy was in recession when Obama took office but he was part of the Congress that did nothing to prevent it. We came out of recession in June 2009 so what exactly did Obama do to prevent a great depression? Obama took a crisis and used it to his advantage to sell a leftwing agenda that prolonged the crisis yet you buy the hretoric. Economists claim it was TARP that saved us from a great depression and TARP was Bush's

    The economy is growing, the stock market is up. That's what the numbers show.
    So now a growing stock market is a good thing? Was it a good thing when it was over 14000? Economy is growing and that is what a private sector economy does over time.


    Republicans controlled everything for 6 of the 8 years Bush was president. The economy started to tank in '06, you let the republicans off the hook and expect Obama to fix their mess in two years. Why?
    Republicans controlled the entire Congress from 2003-2006 and I suggest you check out the economic growth and job creation during that period of time. Then compare what happened when the Democrats took control. BEA.gov and BLS.gov will provide you with the answers. The economy did not begin to tank in 2006 as GDP growth shows. Stop buying the Obama and leftwing talking points as the facts make you look foolish.

  7. #67
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,737

    Re: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    USA_1;1059329394]The economy was in such horrible shape when he took office, preventing the country from falling into another Great Depression was about the only thing Obama could do. Now you're crying because he didn't do enough for the economy?

    The economy was in recession when Obama took office but he was part of the Congress that did nothing to prevent it. We came out of recession in June 2009 so what exactly did Obama do to prevent a great depression? Obama took a crisis and used it to his advantage to sell a leftwing agenda that prolonged the crisis yet you buy the hretoric. Economists claim it was TARP that saved us from a great depression and TARP was Bush's



    So now a growing stock market is a good thing? Was it a good thing when it was over 14000? Economy is growing and that is what a private sector economy does over time.




    Republicans controlled the entire Congress from 2003-2006 and I suggest you check out the economic growth and job creation during that period of time. Then compare what happened when the Democrats took control. BEA.gov and BLS.gov will provide you with the answers. The economy did not begin to tank in 2006 as GDP growth shows. Stop buying the Obama and leftwing talking points as the facts make you look foolish.

    Employment is what is known as a lagging factor, in that it is the last thing to pick up when an economy gets going again. Employment might have been OK from 2003-2006, but that's only because the cluster**** economic policies had not yet taken their toll. It takes a while. When it did kick in, it kicked in in spades.



    Part of the recovery of jobs does go to Obama, but a lot of it (I think about half, goes to Bush). Yes, the graph is misleading. You DO have to give some of the credit to Bush for helping in the recovery. Again, employment is a lagging factor. Although jobs were bleeding away badly during Bush's last year, it took at least that long for TARP to kick in.

    In the latter part of his administration, Bush did have the common sense to kick the crazy Neocons to the curb. So where are the Neocons now? Hijacking Tea Party movements. That's where they are. You didn't think they would go away quietly, did you?
    Last edited by danarhea; 03-06-11 at 02:32 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #68
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Employment is what is known as a lagging factor, in that it is the last thing to pick up when an economy gets going again. Employment might have been OK from 2003-2006, but that's only because the cluster**** economic policies had not yet taken their toll. It takes a while. When it did kick in, it kicked in in spades.



    Part of the recovery of jobs does go to Obama, but a lot of it (I think about half, goes to Bush).
    You are missing a major component, discouraged workers who are no longer counted. If you take a million people off the roles of unemployment what do you expect the number to look like? There are still two million fewer people employed today than when Obama took office and that was before adding 3.5 trillion to the debt. Your chart is distorted.

  9. #69
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Actually you ought to be embarrassed for yourself, if it was cumulative they wouldn't comparing it to a year ago but instead last month.
    Is that your argument? How does that disprove it's cumulative? The BLS compares it to last year to adjust for seasonal changes. Seriously. You expect people to take you seriously and you can't even properly read the data?

    If it was monthly changes, the population of the US would be expanding by 80 million people a month according to the non-labor force population alone.

    Furthermore, it if monthly changes, the population of the US would have expanded by 153 MILLION people in the labor force.

    Table A-1. Employment status of the civilian population by sex and age

    Keep diverting however from the fact that 1 million Americans dropped off the unemployment roles in February which is what lowered the unemployment rate.
    Wow. Total Epic Fail.

    Civilian Jan 2011 population was 153,186 million. Feb 2011 was 153,246. if a million Americans left the labor force, then Jan 2011 should have been 154,186 million. The fact that unemployment went down with the total labor force expanding is a good sign the recovery is really underway.

    Table A-1. Employment status of the civilian population by sex and age

    This is really embarrassing how badly you can't figure out basic charts.

    The population of the US is a little over 300 million. If the non percentage charts were monthly changes, then the US population would literally be doubling every month. Doesn't that suggest that you are reading the charts entirely wrong?
    Last edited by obvious Child; 03-06-11 at 05:42 PM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #70
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Republicans controlled the entire Congress from 2003-2006 and I suggest you check out the economic growth and job creation during that period of time.
    Yeah because they benefited from exceptionally low rates, lax regulation and Fannie/Freddie who under the Bush Ownership Society basically eliminated responsible mortgage creation barriers. We are paying for their excesses now.

    Then compare what happened when the Democrats took control. BEA.gov and BLS.gov will provide you with the answers.
    You should not cite things you have demonstrated you do not understand.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •