Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

  1. #41
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    In case you thought you were anonymous on these forums, or that your thoughts were not being monitored by the government, you are wrong.


    "In-Q-Tel, the investment arm of the CIA and the wider intelligence community, is putting cash into Visible Technologies, a software firm that specializes in monitoring social media."

    "Visible crawls over half a million web 2.0 sites a day, scraping more than a million posts and conversations taking place on blogs, online forums, Flickr, YouTube, Twitter and Amazon. (It doesn't touch closed social networks, like Facebook, at the moment.) Customers get customized, real-time feeds of what's being said on these sites, based on a series of keywords."

    CIA branch invests in tech firm that monitors blogs, Twitter, social media Boing Boing
    Here's the way I see it:

    1) This is a public forum. As such, the CIA has the right of a guest, just as anybody else. If they want to spy on me, I say "have at it".

    2) However, this is not the same as spying on your cellphone conversations. But I have a solution for this too. When you are on your cell phone, use trigger words. Here are some examples:

    When talking to your wife: "Honey, you are the bomb".

    At a baseball game: "Damn, the Astros totally assassinated the Cubs today".

    At the supermarket: "Sorry, honey. I'm not getting any beans. They make my ass explode".

    When you're sick: "Can't come into work today. I'm doing a jihad on this flu I have".

    Get the picture? It's called "****ing with the government for ****s and giggles". But you are also sending a message that what you say on your cell phone, what you read at a library, and what you send in an email are none of the government's mother****ing business. If they really suspect you of something, then they had better damn well get a mother****ing warrant.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #42
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    i'm sorry, I just don't buy that. Terrorists in the desert don't have time to log in and screw around with nonsense
    then you aren't reading what i'm writing, and you have no idea whatsoever about the long-term strategic goals of Islamist terror networks.

    1. we're not talking about "nonsense", we are talking about organization and communication; what we call C2 (command and control). the US military does the same thing, organizing over the internet in order to pursue joint goals; except that we use our own, seperate lines. Al-Qaeda and like groups do not have the institutional capacity to support this kind of network, and so they rely on the world wide web.

    2. not all terrorists are "in the desert". it's not like they're living in a secret terrorist camp in an oasis out there somewhere plotting their next move; they are far more fluid than that. terror networks live in cities, in mountains, on ships, so on and so forth.

    3. in fact, a solid argument could be made that AQ's central branch now spends more of its' resources on the non-kinetic 4th Gen internet-based fight than it does on the actual "shooting and/or blowing up people" fight.

    4. connectivity isn't as difficult as you seem to imagine. and for the higher functioning branches of AQ-etc, it has become a necessity due to the fact that they are aware that we can track their cell phones. it's the only safe means of communication left to them.

    I really believe that reports of so and so Islamic website is a snare
    then you are 100% wrong

  3. #43
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Here's the way I see it:

    1) This is a public forum. As such, the CIA has the right of a guest, just as anybody else. If they want to spy on me, I say "have at it".

    2) However, this is not the same as spying on your cellphone conversations. But I have a solution for this too. When you are on your cell phone, use trigger words. Here are some examples:

    When talking to your wife: "Honey, you are the bomb".

    At a baseball game: "Damn, the Astros totally assassinated the Cubs today".

    At the supermarket: "Sorry, honey. I'm not getting any beans. They make my ass explode".

    When you're sick: "Can't come into work today. I'm doing a jihad on this flu I have".

    Get the picture? It's called "****ing with the government for ****s and giggles". But you are also sending a message that what you say on your cell phone, what you read at a library, and what you send in an email are none of the government's mother****ing business. If they really suspect you of something, then they had better damn well get a mother****ing warrant.
    cute, but those aren't exactly the key phrases they are looking for.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

    Yeah... you don't want them to mistake you for a terr-o. Better not to try.

  5. #45
    Professor
    Kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    09-09-13 @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,661

    Re: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

    Republican are always talking about liberty, but do nothing when the government is illegally caught spying, wiretapping, disrupting protests with police provacateurs,
    and clamping down on free speech by censoring and distorting all the media channels.

    Ron Paul, the most popular Republican, was himself the victim of a Fox News smear campaign.

    What does that tell you?

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    In case you thought you were anonymous on these forums, or that your thoughts were not being monitored by the government, you are wrong.
    I'm more worried about Comcast than the CIA.

  7. #47
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

    Even in Democracies man will never truly be free.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Even in Democracies man will never truly be free.
    That is so deep that it makes it true.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

    ....totally...

  10. #50
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: CIA Spying on Social Media, Blogs, Forums

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    I'm more worried about Comcast than the CIA.
    eh. i'm worried about Google. when the day comes that our every action is monitored and we have no privacy, it won't be because some government bureacrat wants to spy on us; it will be because some company wants to sell us something.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •