Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 379

Thread: Rich-Poor gap widening

  1. #241
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That's one of the things I am talking about, the middle class are forced to send 50% of what they make to the government, while the top 1% pay much less and in some cases nothing. The other 50% the middle class spends on necessities with little left over to buy consumer goods. The top one percent have no such hardship.



    No it is those that support a fascist state that has taken us on the dangerous path we are on. One of the first things to be done to pave the way for a fascist state is to get rid of the unions.

    But that would probably never happen, right?
    Give us some idea of exactly who you are talking about when you say, "middle class", please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Possibly if I subscribed to popular political illusions I would understand it, but to me it sounds retardulous.
    I suspect most things sounds this way to you.

  3. #243
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, that kind of data can't tell us why. That requires a subjective analysis of the data. Nor does it tell us if it is any different today than it was in the past. People in lower income and improverished areas have always been found wanting in one way or another, conplete with studies.
    They want, but apparently they don't want to work.

    No, it is data plus opinion. Data doesn't speak for itself, someone has to interpret it, and that leads us in subjective analysis.
    You're not saying anything about the facts!

    "Peter Doeringer's study of the Boston "ghetto" labor market in 1968 found that about 70% of job applicants referred by neighborhood employment centers received job offers ó but that over half of these offers were rejected, and of those accepted only about 40% of the new workers kept their jobs for as long as one month."

    There is nothing to dispute there! Unemployment is at least somewhat due to a poor work ethic. You're just in denial.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  4. #244
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    [QUOTE=Grant;1059320770]
    So what's the answer?Clearly government spending has to be brought under control because it's evident the government will just waste the money no matter how much the public sends them, and will go further in debt by borrowing more money besides. They can never get enough money. If the rich were to send them all their money, every penny, that would still not be enough to pay of the debts, and the programs that are throwing the money into the bottomless sinkhole would still be in place. But then you would have every American broke, including those who have tended to create the wealth. But before that happens, of course, the people who have the money will leave, and there are signs they are doing that now.
    I would say the first place to start would be on the waste identified by the GAO, then we need to examine how our social programs can be modified to make them more sustainable, then lock those funds from being used to offset other government costs, reduce the size and spending of our military, then equitably set the tax rates to provide the income necessary to pay our bills. with enough left over to begin paying down our debt.

    You really shouldn't throw these terms around unless you understand them. Tennessee is not a 'Fascist State", nor is South Carolina. In fact these are states where the population are growing. Union thugs trying to take over the economy are more fitting for the "fascist" term.
    You mean I should throw the word fascist around like the way people throw the word communism around?

    There certainly seems to be some who have fascist tendencies, such as dividing society into different factions and turning on one segment against the other (the 'the rich' and 'the poor' would be one example) without looking at the genuine source of the problems
    Agreed. As Warren Buffett noted, "Thereís class warfare, all right, but itís my class, the rich class, thatís making war, and weíre winning."

    That would be an economies being ruined by out of control governments. Governments have always caused more problems than the people they were ostensibly intended to serve.
    Governments are the problem? Not the people we elect to run it? So your plan is to have no government?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #245
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,483

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    That's complete bull****. Their middle class is growing so much you can google all day and never get to the end of discussion of the booming growth. It's on every radio, every station, every TV at some point or another. How are you peddling this nonsnese? It's like you're a flat-earther or something, christ.

    Creating a more capitalist market and opening open foreign investment (capitalist investment) has done the exact ****ing opposite of the crap you are spewing.
    The fact is ENORMOUS numbers of people are being lifted out of poverty into middle and upper class. Historically unprescedented numbers.
    The fact is that some who remain poor, remain poor. <- DUR

    Concept:Rise of China's Middle Class
    The meteoric rise in Chinaís middle class is tied to dramatic increases in its per capita income, which is growing at a nearly unprecedented rate. The first industrial revolution created a 250% increase in per capita income over a 100 year period. The second industrial revolution triggered 350% per capita income growth over 60 years. By comparison, China is on track to create a 700% growth in per capita income in just 20 years.

    Burgeoning middle class reshapes China's skyline - People's Daily Online
    Meanwhile, the accelerated growth of China's middle class also manifests the country is already on the sound track of development, with more and more citizens getting close to or fulfilling their 'Chinese Dream,' or so to speak, the dream of a bulging purse plus a satisfying life.

    Rise of the Global Middle Class - Issue 014 - GOOD
    As for the new middle class's relative size, think bread truck, not breadbasket: Over the next couple of decades, the percent of the world's population that can be considered middle class, judging by purchasing power, will almost double, from just over a quarter of the population to more like half. The bulk of this increase will occur in China and India

  6. #246
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    They want, but apparently they don't want to work.
    No, that's a subjective conclusion and not an objective fact.


    You're not saying anything about the facts!

    "Peter Doeringer's study of the Boston "ghetto" labor market in 1968 found that about 70% of job applicants referred by neighborhood employment centers received job offers — but that over half of these offers were rejected, and of those accepted only about 40% of the new workers kept their jobs for as long as one month."

    There is nothing to dispute there! Unemployment is at least somewhat due to a poor work ethic. You're just in denial.
    I am saying something about the facts. What happened doesn't tell us why it happened. You make a leap that may not be the case. Not only that, but we have no like data to compare with past generations. we don't even know if it is really much different, let alone all the factors involved.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #247
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Give us some idea of exactly who you are talking about when you say, "middle class", please.
    The median income in the US ranges from $30k for those with some HS to those with a Doctorate degree at $90k, but I have no problem using the $200k cut off for middle class currently being used.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #248
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, that's a subjective conclusion and not an objective fact.
    Then let's say that they are not working even when the opportunity is provided to them.

    I am saying something about the facts. What happened doesn't tell us why it happened. You make a leap that may not be the case. Not only that, but we have no like data to compare with past generations. we don't even know if it is really much different, let alone all the factors involved.
    Then I would ask you to come forward with your own data in response. You've had plenty of opportunities but all you've given is your opinions. That and $5 won't even get me a cup of coffee.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #249
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The median income in the US ranges from $30k for those with some HS to those with a Doctorate degree at $90k, but I have no problem using the $200k cut off for middle class currently being used.
    Why not look at the way income has been changing for the 75th quartile and 25th quartile of the nation? Because that group, which is the best definition of the middle class, has seen tremendous growth. Not that the data really mean anything anyway, other than that as a whole our nation is becoming richer, not that some mythical middle class is growing.
    Last edited by phattonez; 03-02-11 at 12:46 PM.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I suspect most things sounds this way to you.
    Yeah Fox news is like a stream of pure retardation to me... that sounds half the people in america. Weird, that.

Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •