Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 379

Thread: Rich-Poor gap widening

  1. #211
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I am hoping someone can explain to me, why in a country where the middle class has a clear majority over the super rich upper class, that is not yet ruled by a dictatorship, that some continue to vote for those who do not represent the middle class interest?
    i guess most americans just don't think the way you do

    it's kinda odd you'd have to ask

  2. #212
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    i guess most americans just don't think the way you do

    it's kinda odd you'd have to ask
    Why do you for example vote against your own interest? Unless of course you are one of the super-rich, in which case you are voting your interest.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #213
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening


  4. #214
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    wow!

    today: Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer split on spending bill - Simmi Aujla - POLITICO.com

    just what do you think this bombshell development portends moving forward?

  5. #215
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,136

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, if the government wasn't killing jobs, we would be in much better shape?
    Yep. If the Republicans would stand down from this job killing obsession to cut government expenditures during a period of high employment, we would be in much better shape. I'm glad we can agree on something, Apdst.

    Goldman Sachs: House Spending Cuts Will Hurt Economic Growth - The Note

  6. #216
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It is way past time to eliminate the tax breaks and loopholes for the super rich, if our middle class is to recover.
    You've hit the nail on the head. The right-wingers who support class warfare against the poor and tax breaks for the rich are undermining the very success of the country.

    Radical income inequality like this is the natural consequence of a corrupt system, and a broken, unfree market.

  7. #217
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Why do you for example vote against your own interest? Unless of course you are one of the super-rich, in which case you are voting your interest.
    the super rich have the same interests you do--they want to keep lots of americans miired in the manure of welfare socialism



  8. #218
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head. The right-wingers who support class warfare against the poor and tax breaks for the rich are undermining the very success of the country.

    Radical income inequality like this is the natural consequence of a corrupt system, and a broken, unfree market.
    more mindless mutterings from Guy Just what would you do to make the unproductive and uncompetitive more valuable to the marketplace?



  9. #219
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,136

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Yep. If the Republicans would stand down from this job killing obsession to cut government expenditures during a period of high employment, we would be in much better shape. I'm glad we can agree on something, Apdst.

    Goldman Sachs: House Spending Cuts Will Hurt Economic Growth - The Note
    According to Goldman Sachs, the $61B of expense cuts proposed by the Republicans will cause a 2% slowing of GDP. If the 2% slowing in GDP corresponds to a 2% reduction in tax receipts and the tax receipt base is $2.5T, than the $61B in expense cuts will translate to a $50B tax revenue shortfall, for a net gain of $11B. This discounts any multiplier effect of government expenditures (the idea that the dollar spent pays the payroll costs of the government contractor, an employee of which buys a service in his community paying the payroll cost of another work, who in turn buys....and so on.... each having income, each paying taxes... all off the same dollar as it circulates through an economy)....

    So, the benefit of cutting expenditures by $61B is only $11B; the cost of that is extreme pain (more layoffs and unemployment).

    Why did we let the Republicans back in again? They have zero sense of economics and historically have done nothing but run up huge deficits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #220
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    According to Goldman Sachs, the $61B of expense cuts proposed by the Republicans will cause a 2% slowing of GDP. If the 2% slowing in GDP corresponds to a 2% reduction in tax receipts and the tax receipt base is $2.5T, than the $61B in expense cuts will translate to a $50B tax revenue shortfall, for a net gain of $11B. This discounts any multiplier effect of government expenditures (the idea that the dollar spent pays the payroll costs of the government contractor, an employee of which buys a service in his community paying the payroll cost of another work, who in turn buys....and so on.... each having income, each paying taxes... all off the same dollar as it circulates through an economy)....

    So, the benefit of cutting expenditures by $61B is only $11B; the cost of that is extreme pain (more layoffs and unemployment).

    Why did we let the Republicans back in again? They have zero sense of economics and historically have done nothing but run up huge deficits.
    remind me how much money Goldman sux gave Obama in 2008?



Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •