Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 379

Thread: Rich-Poor gap widening

  1. #191
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, you wanna close the gap with more government handouts?

    I think I'll just use my own gumption and make it on my own. If the government will get the **** out of the way, that is.
    it is obvious the analogy went over your head
    i am sorry, but i cannot make what should be simply obvious, simpler
    i have no choice but to find whatever you post without any foundation of understanding
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #192
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    it is obvious the analogy went over your head
    i am sorry, but i cannot make what should be simply obvious, simpler
    i have no choice but to find whatever you post without any foundation of understanding
    Oh no, I understood your analogy. You want someone else to pay the bills. I get it and I'll pass, thanks anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #193
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Oh no, I understood your analogy. You want someone else to pay the bills. I get it and I'll pass, thanks anyway.
    it is again evident that you do not
    dismissed
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #194
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So let me get this, you offer conjecture, and complain because you get conjecture in return?
    What conjecture? You never directly responded to the real data I showed about income inequality. Don't try to back out of an argument and say I offerred nothing when you refuse to deal with what I presented.

    Here again is real data from real professors looking at the issue.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1059309268

    Your link was just opinion, there was no real data in there.

    And here's the problem with following income data in the first place.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/econom...-problems.html

    I'll just wait here for some real responses.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #195
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    What conjecture? You never directly responded to the real data I showed about income inequality. Don't try to back out of an argument and say I offerred nothing when you refuse to deal with what I presented.

    Here again is real data from real professors looking at the issue.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1059309268

    Your link was just opinion, there was no real data in there.

    And here's the problem with following income data in the first place.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/econom...-problems.html

    I'll just wait here for some real responses.
    I never try to back out. What you linked before did not show me any real data. And nothing here addresses the issue either. Your claim is that work ethic is less today or worse than it was in the past. That's a hard thing to prove. Someone's opinion is not likely better than someone elses. And your states don't really address this issue.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #196
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I never try to back out. What you linked before did not show me any real data. And nothing here addresses the issue either. Your claim is that work ethic is less today or worse than it was in the past.
    Actually I didn't claim that. I just claimed that the problem with unemployment has a work ethic component. That should have been clear from the studies, especially the one of the Boston ghetto labor market (which is real data, not opinion). Now I know that work ethic is not the only problem resulting in high unemployment, but to say that it is not a problem is ignoring reality.

    That's a hard thing to prove. Someone's opinion is not likely better than someone elses. And your states don't really address this issue.
    The Boston ghetto labor market study in the first link is data, not opinion.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #197
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Someone's opinion is not likely better than someone elses.
    says the perpetual peddlar of petty opinions

    who cites references to JON STEWART

    LOL!

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's really stupid and has no basis in fact
    Right, it's totally baseless to say that a Party which does everything to make the rich richer and the poor poorer wants rich people to be richer and poor people to be poorer. How could I possibly have thought that?

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Right, it's totally baseless to say that a Party which does everything to make the rich richer and the poor poorer wants rich people to be richer and poor people to be poorer. How could I possibly have thought that?

    You are referring to the Democrats as the "Party which does everything to make the rich richer and the poor poorer", right?

  10. #200
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Actually I didn't claim that. I just claimed that the problem with unemployment has a work ethic component. That should have been clear from the studies, especially the one of the Boston ghetto labor market (which is real data, not opinion). Now I know that work ethic is not the only problem resulting in high unemployment, but to say that it is not a problem is ignoring reality.
    No, that kind of data can't tell us why. That requires a subjective analysis of the data. Nor does it tell us if it is any different today than it was in the past. People in lower income and improverished areas have always been found wanting in one way or another, conplete with studies.

    The Boston ghetto labor market study in the first link is data, not opinion.
    No, it is data plus opinion. Data doesn't speak for itself, someone has to interpret it, and that leads us in subjective analysis.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •