Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 379

Thread: Rich-Poor gap widening

  1. #11
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    As long as we have a government that constinues to kill middle class jobs, the gap will keep getting wider.
    How has government done this?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #12
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    How has government done this?
    Drilling moratorium, tax hikes, sabotaging of the economy, over-regulation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Drilling moratorium, tax hikes, sabotaging of the economy, over-regulation.


    The only one that may have hurt any at all is the first one, and there may be good reason to stop it. The spill itself hurt even more.

    But there is no evidence taxes significantly effect jobs. And we've had a good economy with regulations, and seen problems without regulations. Much of our present problems may hold some fault in under regulation, not over regulation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #14
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post


    The only one that may have hurt any at all is the first one, and there may be good reason to stop it. The spill itself hurt even more.

    But there is no evidence taxes significantly effect jobs. And we've had a good economy with regulations, and seen problems without regulations. Much of our present problems may hold some fault in under regulation, not over regulation.
    Believe that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #15
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Ever since Reagan drastically cut taxes for the wealthiest of Americans, the rich have been getting richer at an astronomical pace. Check out this interesting article that documents the growing disparity between the top1% of the population and the remaining 99%....

    Separate but unequal: Charts show growing rich-poor gap - Yahoo! News
    Wait?! Low end jobs were lost during a recession? Clearly that's a dead guy's fault! But let's remember that you agree that tax cuts have a lasting effect

    The truth is that the poor haven't gained wages because those that are poor are on government assistance and the amount of government assistance has not been increased significantly.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #16
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Believe that...
    Yeah I do. And I would love to any actual evidence to the contrary. Not someone's opinion, but verifiable evidence. I'd be more than willing to look at it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #17
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yeah I do. And I would love to any actual evidence to the contrary. Not someone's opinion, but verifiable evidence. I'd be more than willing to look at it.
    How's that hope-n-change working out for us?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How's that hope-n-change working out for us?
    Less than hoped for, better than what we had and the alternative. However, do note that isn't an answer to anything we've been discussing. Is there a reason you're trying to divert attention?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Why is this a surprise for anyone? Trickle down economics hasn't ever worked. Anywhere. Ever. Just look at Africa. The rich simply get richer and reserve the wealth for themselves. How many jobs does buying a Lamborghini create for Africans? How many jobs does buying a $10,000 Rolex create in Switzerland? At the most one could argue that some aspects of trickle down economics preserve jobs. As for 'creating them'? Hardly. The wonders of Taylorism have made it so that companies are constantly looking for ways to cut down costs and number of employees. I personally believe that thanks to industrial sciences, industrialism has reached a point where it is simply impossible to create more jobs in any meaningful way. Whether this is due to the explosion of human population in the 20th century is unknown, what I do know is that it makes trickle down economics obsolete and irrelevant.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #20
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Why is this a surprise for anyone? Trickle down economics hasn't ever worked. Anywhere. Ever. Just look at Africa. The rich simply get richer and reserve the wealth for themselves. How many jobs does buying a Lamborghini create for Africans? How many jobs does buying a $10,000 Rolex create in Switzerland? At the most one could argue that some aspects of trickle down economics preserve jobs. As for 'creating them'? Hardly. The wonders of Taylorism have made it so that companies are constantly looking for ways to cut down costs and number of employees. I personally believe that thanks to industrial sciences, industrialism has reached a point where it is simply impossible to create more jobs in any meaningful way. Whether this is due to the explosion of human population in the 20th century is unknown, what I do know is that it makes trickle down economics obsolete and irrelevant.
    What should we do, instead? Give the government all our money and let them distribute it as they see fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •