Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 379

Thread: Rich-Poor gap widening

  1. #131
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The gap is widening because a significant percentage of people in this country have no work ethic whatsoever, and no money-management plan beyond buying flat screens and XBoxes with every nickel they get their hands on.

    1/3 of this country is beyond stupid, lazy, and irresponsible. They bring the averages down across the board.
    Oh - so people who are employed FULL time are lazy, irresponsible and stupid?

    INCOME means you WORK to EARN IT - you know, a JOB.
    INCOME does not necessarily INCLUDE one's WELFARE or their amassed wealth - only a SMALL percentage of the population overall GETS welfare anyway.

    Before I became a stay at home Mom I was employed full time, had two kids, and I earned $8.00 an hour. That put me at just over $15,000 a year. I was NOT lazy, NOT stupid, NOT irresponsible. MOST people who struggle financially and are gainfully employed. . . They make ends meet - but don't rake in the dough in excess.

    Your thought process is why so many college kids come out of college EXPECTING to have a job just because the got a degree in Liberal Arts.

    And what you're referring to is *strictkly income* - not *wealth* - Wealth can amass on it's own once you have it. (Property values increase, stock values increase) - you can be a lazy fat bastard and do nothing your whole life and die wealthier than you were when you inherited it from your Mum.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 02-25-11 at 11:38 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #132
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The gap is widening because a significant percentage of people in this country have no work ethic whatsoever, and no money-management plan beyond buying flat screens and XBoxes with every nickel they get their hands on.

    1/3 of this country is beyond stupid, lazy, and irresponsible. They bring the averages down across the board.
    I think that is BS. It makes those who believe it feel better, seeing themselves in the upper 1/3. But most people have a fine work ethic. Of all our problems related to this gap, this is by far the least.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #133
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    06-04-12 @ 03:23 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    I'm new here, but it seems to me that those on the conservative side of things ignore the fact that in our past (i.e. 1950's) we have had very high taxes on the wealthy, and it did nothing to stunt our growth as a nation. In fact, many look back on that era as our "golden age" when America emerged from World War II as prosperous and happy (excluding the threat of nuclear annihilation, of course).

    I suppose what I am trying to say is that taxes on the wealthy were much higher than what they are now and yet there seemed to be a general consensus that this was the right thing to do. And I can't help but think that a contributing factor to this was the closer income equality and general prosperity of all Americans.

  4. #134
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    I'm new here, but it seems to me that those on the conservative side of things ignore the fact that in our past (i.e. 1950's) we have had very high taxes on the wealthy, and it did nothing to stunt our growth as a nation. In fact, many look back on that era as our "golden age" when America emerged from World War II as prosperous and happy (excluding the threat of nuclear annihilation, of course).

    I suppose what I am trying to say is that taxes on the wealthy were much higher than what they are now and yet there seemed to be a general consensus that this was the right thing to do. And I can't help but think that a contributing factor to this was the closer income equality and general prosperity of all Americans.
    Coming out of WWI and WWII I don't imagine that 'wealth distribution' was a concern - people were happy to be war free, out of the depression, and able to settle down and have a family.

    I can identify with that - I was in a state of bliss for the year following my husband's decision to adopt the kids. Every single negative thing rolled right off me - I was 100% stress free.

    Apply that mindset to an entire nation - it's like dope.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 02-25-11 at 11:49 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #135
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    What? That's a baseless claim.

    Well, I mentioned two books.
    Baseless? So you would argue that those at the beginging of something aren't more likely to reap benefits than those are the end of something? I mean, there was more unexplored land, more resources, less people, more promise, less competition internationally. The time periods are so different, I think you're unwise to blow this off so quickly.

    Is that just one factory or a government rule? If the former then just leave and find another job, otherwise it is worth it.
    I gave you a couple of timelines, and there is more, to show that this was common and not limited to just one.

    That's subjective.
    So is a lot of what you're arguing.

    So what? Not everyone owns a plane either and those were invented 100 years ago.
    You're really missing the point.

    Must be nominal wages. $1.75 was worth a lot more back then.
    Sure it was, or more than now. Not sure I would use the words A LOT.

    In other words, goods are becoming cheaper.
    And people less able to afford even them. The product becomes cheaper, and in some ways less quality, and people lose the way to make a good living. great stuff that.

    Unions exist and have existed. It means nothing other than subjetive perception of working conditions.
    It speaks to the need for unions.


    Because prosperity, not laws, brought an end to child labor.
    I wouldn't go so either or in my thinking, but as presenting prosperity as the single answer, you're wrong. People fought to end tham and it took laws, regulations, and not just propserity.


    Children working is better than children starving.
    Sure. But today they are neither working or starving. Wouldn't you say that is better yet?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #136
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,792

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    making business costs too high is what causes that
    Some of those high costs can be lowered by significantly lowering the ridiculous compensation for those at or near the top. Start there if you have any real integrity about corporate expenses .
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    I'm new here, but it seems to me that those on the conservative side of things ignore the fact that in our past (i.e. 1950's) we have had very high taxes on the wealthy, and it did nothing to stunt our growth as a nation.
    Obama Calls Tax Cuts the 'Right Thing to Do'

    At Obama's side, Clinton backs tax deal - Politics - White House - msnbc.com

    everyone's on the conservative side of this, the bush/obama/clinton/boehner/mcconnell tax cuts for the rich

    if you're not aboard, you're a splinter

  8. #138
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think that is BS. It makes those who believe it feel better, seeing themselves in the upper 1/3. But most people have a fine work ethic. Of all our problems related to this gap, this is by far the least.
    Actually it is a problem. I know you don't have any evidence, but I do.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/econom...stability.html

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #139
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    I'm new here, but it seems to me that those on the conservative side of things ignore the fact that in our past (i.e. 1950's) we have had very high taxes on the wealthy, and it did nothing to stunt our growth as a nation. In fact, many look back on that era as our "golden age" when America emerged from World War II as prosperous and happy (excluding the threat of nuclear annihilation, of course).

    I suppose what I am trying to say is that taxes on the wealthy were much higher than what they are now and yet there seemed to be a general consensus that this was the right thing to do. And I can't help but think that a contributing factor to this was the closer income equality and general prosperity of all Americans.
    There certainly were high tax rates, but also great tax cuts. Most of those were eliminated in the tax reform of the 1980s, so that the effective tax rate did not end up changing much.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #140
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Rich-Poor gap widening

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Actually it is a problem. I know you don't have any evidence, but I do.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/econom...stability.html
    You think this is evidence? Not sure it's even evidence let alone proof. If anything it raises the question, but it doesn't settle it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •