Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

  1. #51
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm not a fan of Breitbart, and generally am not fond of entrapment situations. That said, as I've said on all sorts of issues, the world isn't black and white. There is a different level of dislike with regards to directly misrepresenting yourself as a specific person and something eneric.

    For example, in this case, if the person just put himself forth as a wealthy republican donor rather than attempting to impersonate a specific person I'd have less of an issue with his action. Still not "no" issue, and I wasn't completely without issue with Breitbart's guy either, but I think pretending to be a specific factual person is a bit worse than a more generalized deception as you're not just assuming a new identity but stealing someone elses essentially.

    I think often you have to look at what is being uncovered as well, as again things don't function in a vacuum. For example, if what he did on the phone regarding donors was an actual legitimate breakage of the law (and not just some left wing blogger speculating it MIGHT be) then I have far more issues with him because he actually did something illegal. On the flip side, a lot of what he said is as likely to be bluff and bluster as legitiamte strategy and until he actually ATTEMPTS it its not something I would get upset about. This is in part why I'm not fond of these type of styled "stings" when its just to get information, because the fact the information is being gained in a fraudulent way causes the legitimacy, hoensty, and seriousness of things it finds out to be called into question thus making it more useful for propoganda than any kind of honest reporting.
    .....but I think pretending to be a specific factual person is a bit worse than a more generalized deception as you're not just assuming a new identity but stealing someone elses essentially.
    But that's exactly what O'Keefe did, in that he made himself out to be someone he wasn't. As for Breitbart, I see what he did as just as bad because he dishonestly edited tape to make it appear that something existed where it really didn't.

    You know, I am kind of surprised here. I was expecting the hyperpartisan Liberals and Conservatives to assert that what their guys did wasn't as bad as what the other guys did. I really didn't expect it from you. In fact, you are about the last person I expected it from, so I am surprised. You and I don't see eye to eye on a few things, but I respect you as a poster who can be brutal but honest. I have to chalk this up to the fact that maybe you didn't express your point of view as well as you could have. The fact that you are not happy with what O'Keefe and Breitbart did tells me that. But, the way I see it, dishonesty is dishonesty, and there are way too many hyperpartisan assholes, on both the right and the left, who have the gall to call themselves reporters, when they are actually..... (let me coin a new word here) .... Scrivenetutes.
    Last edited by danarhea; 02-24-11 at 11:30 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    But that's exactly what O'Keefe did, in that he made himself out to be someone he wasn't.
    To my understanding O'Keefe created a false identity and portrayed that. That is different than proclaiming to be an actual factual person. I honestly didn't follow the O'Keefe thing extremely closely, nor have I this, so perhaps I have that information wrong.

    As for Breitbart, I see what he did as just as bad because he dishonestly edited tape to make it appear that something existed where it really didn't.
    This is seperate to the disguising who you are issue, and I agree here. I dislike edited tapes specifically done to make someone look worse regardless if its Breitbart doing it or Media Matters.

    You know, I am kind of surprised here. I was expecting the hyperpartisan Liberals and Conservatives to assert that what their guys did wasn't as bad as what the other guys did. I really didn't expect it from you. In fact, you are about the last person I expected it from, so I am surprised. You and I don't see eye to eye on a few things, but I respect you as a poster who can be brutal but honest. I have to chalk this up to the fact that maybe you didn't express your point of view as well as you could have. The fact that you are not happy with what O'Keefe and Breitbart did tells me that. But, the way I see it, dishonesty is dishonesty, and there are way too many hyperpartisan assholes, on both the right and the left, who have the gall to call themselves reporters, when they are actually..... (let me coin a new word here) .... Scrivenetutes.
    If you'd read my posts much you know I'm not a black and white person Dana. "Dishonesty isn't dishonesty". If you are given $5 dollars back in change when you were supposed to only get $1 and you don't say anything, that's dishonest. If you go into a bank and convince the tellar that you're someone else who has an account there and withdraw $500 that's also dishonest. However, while I have a problem with both of those cases of Dishonesty I have a bigger issue with the second. Yet, you seem to indicate that you'd view them equally because "Dishonesty is dishonesty".

    As pointed out in another thread Dana, "to catch a predator" dishonestly presents themselves as someone they're not. Yet you posted in that thread how what they did is perfeclty okay. I thought you said "dishonesty is dishonesty" Dana?

    I think there can be various levels to "how bad" something is, however unlike hyperpartisans my "levels" don't change based on whether or not the person has an (R) or (D) next to their names. I think faking who you are or your credentials to try and convince someone to tell you something or do something they normally wouldn't with a reporter, in a journalistic endevour, is a questionable tactic not because I necessarily think its scummy or underhanded but because it raises questions to the legitimacy of it and how much your actions helped play into the situation rather than it being a "normal" thing. Which is why I would have less issue if this guy called up to the governor, claiming to be a generic fake conservative donor, and got him to do the same thing.

    I think when you're specifically faking who you are not in a general sense, but in a specific sense, it becomes a bit more underhanded (IE suggesting your Koch rather than suggesting you're just a random conservative donor). In that case, you're further mudding the aters by perhaps playing upon a personal relationship or the reputation of someone else. In that case you're stealing someone elses identity, rather than creating a false one, for your own purposes. That to me is more underhanded, as its a violation in my opinion towards the person you're impersonating as well. I'd have the same issue if someone called up a Global Warming scientist and convinced him he was Al Gore and got him to say incriminating things.

    In general, I find the "give myself a fake persona" investigative journalism questionable and faulty but not necessarily dirty or underhanded. When you start stealing individuals identities and representing yourself as a specific someone, that transcends into the more "dirty" side of things where you're potentially causing issues for that person you're pretending to be.

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,664

    Re: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

    This is going to cost Walker support in public opinion polls as well as a blow to his image of a nice guy looking out for taxpayers. The Halloween costume has been stripped off and is is beginning to be revealed for who he really is. And that is a good thing.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #54
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    This is going to cost Walker support in public opinion polls as well as a blow to his image of a nice guy looking out for taxpayers. The Halloween costume has been stripped off and is is beginning to be revealed for who he really is. And that is a good thing.
    you can say the same thing over and over, but it doesn't make it true.

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,664

    Re: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    you can say the same thing over and over, but it doesn't make it true.
    The Gallup Poll alread has the data which shows that Americans DO NOT want Walker style union busting laws to come to their state by over a 60% figure.

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...isconsin_N.htm
    Last edited by haymarket; 02-24-11 at 02:26 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #56
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The Gallup Poll alread has the data which shows that Americans DO NOT want Walker style union busting laws to come to their state by over a 60% figure.

    Poll: Americans favor union bargaining rights - USATODAY.com
    Wisconsin is not siding with the corrupt unions.

    your side is losing the war locally. Do you live in Wisconsin? If you did, you would know this to be true.

  7. #57
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The Gallup Poll alread has the data which shows that Americans DO NOT want Walker style union busting laws to come to their state by over a 60% figure.

    Poll: Americans favor union bargaining rights - USATODAY.com
    And Rasmussen shows 48% support Walker's position while 38% support the Unions position.

    48% Back GOP Governor in Wisconsin Spat, 38% Side With Unions - Rasmussen Reports™
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #58
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    This is going to cost Walker support in public opinion polls as well as a blow to his image of a nice guy looking out for taxpayers. The Halloween costume has been stripped off and is is beginning to be revealed for who he really is. And that is a good thing.
    I'm sure that was the whole purpose of the sting.
    However, I think his poll numbers will come back, and people will realize he is indeed looking out for Wisconsin and the tax payers.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  9. #59
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

    OK, Where is George Soros funded Media Matters on this one?
    This is FOX news and Greta obviously got her facts wrong, did some creative editing, or lied. )

    I was sure they'd jump right on this with a headline "Fox got facts wrong again"

    Greta Grills Gov. Walker Over Answers During Prank Call | The Blaze

    Editor’s note: One of the accounts in this interview seems to use a transcript that does not match the actual audio. The account involves the rude description of MSNBC anchor Mika Brzezinski.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Scott Walker Gets Punked By Journalist Pretending To Be David Koch

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Wisconsin is not siding with the corrupt unions.

    your side is losing the war locally. Do you live in Wisconsin? If you did, you would know this to be true.
    I actually just got back from Alpine Valley Skiing (in Wisconsin) and saw a few pro walker signs in yards on the drive up there. I didn't see any equivalents supporting the unions. I realize this really doesn't mean much, but found it interesting.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •