Page 94 of 201 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 2002

Thread: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

  1. #931
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Sorry, my kids and yours if you have any will be paying for the excessive spending not the tax cuts to businesses that employ people who pay taxes.
    Yep, that excessive spending fattening CEO salaries. . .

    Tanker bid: Boeing wins $30 billion tanker contract - chicagotribune.com

    made worse by the fact that your kids will have to pay more to cover that $30 billion deficit because of the tax break given to an oil company.

  2. #932
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,925

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    History is a great subject. And also you are wrong, look here and here.

    There are militarizes that still goose step, but I guess that makes them Nazis right?
    Now this is going to make their heads explode. Mr. I. you are confusing them with facts.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #933
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    LOL, many teachers are paid more than what they're worth (and teachers' unions do have something to do with that). The key difference between those teachers and CEOs is not their desire to cheat people (including property taxpayers) out of their $$, but rather how far they're willing to take that desire.

    And as stated before, most CEOs get to where they are because of their persistence in fellating superiors. Contrary to the beliefs of limbaugh addicts, it seldom has anything to do with their competence in increasing shareholder value. Most CEOs (like AT & T's Randall Stephenson) are incompetent buffoons that keep their jobs solely because of their prior success in building relationships with other bigger schmoozers.

    Teachers can do the same thing. A lazy young, sexy 23 y/o female second grade teacher can either screw around in class and make the salary her union won for her, or she can apply for a job as a CEO's secretary. In the latter role, she can flirt w/the (married) CEO and then blackmail him to get millions of dollars.

    Or she can work hard and teach. Some do, and while there is something to be said for that, it's harder to fatten the pocketbook that way.

    What you speak of is the exception, not the rule. I am married to a teacher and I can tell you she works harder and puts in more hours that her private sector counterparts for less money.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #934
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,925

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You are out of control and need to take a break. Are you even thinking before posting. It certainly doesn't appear so if you can equate a "German driving down an autobahn" to accusing some of being in "goose step".
    Please check the post from Mr. Invisible. You have been shown to have no idea of what you are talking about.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #935
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Expenses

    Defense 696.1
    International Affairs 45.2
    Gen. Science, Space 30.9
    Energy 11.5
    Natural resources/env 41.6
    Agriculture 23.2
    Commerce -82.9
    Transportation 92.5
    Community Dev 24.5
    Education/Train/Social 125.1
    Health 369
    Medicare 451.6
    Income Security 624
    Social Security 706.7
    Veterans Benefits 108.4
    Justice 55.2
    General Govt. 18.1
    Net Interest 196.9


    Total 3537.6

    And you blame the teachers, fireman and police for that?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #936
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    the problem here Conservative is that you judge others by what you yourself describe as your own political experience. You proudly trumpet how your own views have not changed but the Democratic Party... ooooppps --- you call it the Democrat Party - don't you.....(as if that Limbaughism is not a complete giveaway to the fraud) left you. You stood still while the dems left you behind and you found yourself as Republican.

    You see sir, many people tend to change a bit - sometimes alot - and evolve with the times. That was the type of person FDR was and there is tons of evidence of it in the excellent series of books about him and the New Deal by Arthur Schlesinger. You should read them. Its all in there and will give you all the proof you need that FDR changed his views to the demands of the times and the situation. He was far from the type of individual that you yourself proudly proclaim to be.

    to help you

    Amazon.com: The Crisis of the Old Order: 1919-1933, The Age of Roosevelt, Volume I (9780618340859): Arthur M. "Schlesinger Jr.": Books
    You have posted nothing that changes what FDR said about collective bargaining by public unions. I am lot older than you and grew up in family that thought FDR was God, not unlike many still today. FDR was very strong in his belief that public unions should not have the right to collective bargaining because they were doing so with people who couldn't participate in the process, the taxpayers, and that the people they were negotiating with could influenced by those unions and the dollars they invest in campaigns. Little has changed today other than states are bankrupt today because of in part union benefits and salaries. I doubt that FDR would change his position.

    As for Democrat Party here is why I use it

    "Democrat Party" is a political epithet used in the United States instead of "Democratic Party" when talking about the Democratic Party.The term "Democrat Party" was in common use with no negative connotations by Democrats in some localities during the 1950s.[9] The Dictionary of American Regional English gives numerous examples of "Democrat" being used as an adjective in everyday speech, especially in the Northeast.[10]
    Last edited by Conservative; 02-25-11 at 05:49 PM.

  7. #937
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,496

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    That didn't answer anything. You basically just said, "I am right, you are wrong. Shut up." What makes one person in a company worth 2100 times another? How much would the CEO be making if it was not for the cashiers, stock boys, greeters, janitors, etc?
    Freedom does. Specifically, the market.
    Look at any centrally planned market in the world, they are dismal failures, and have terrible standards of living and human rights typically. You're really that shortsighted?

    Average CEO salary is about 68x the minimum wage salary. Not 2100 times.
    Add in all compensation and it's around 350-500x. However, most of that is stock ownership, which reflects the effort of growing and running a business.
    Pushing a mop is not growing and running a business, that's why they typically don't get stock and stock options. Running a fortune 500 corporate as an employee is very similar to running one as the owner. Because of this fact, to be competitive, you have to pay a CEO in accordance with what they could get in the market if you want to keep them. If CEO were simply offered $1M in salary with no ownership, the nearest competitor would smoke them, or the CEO may start a business where they are the owner, and do far better finanically either way. Markets work.

    I think this is all very basic stuff, what's going on here?

  8. #938
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Do you know who Soros's and Trumka's lap dog is in Washington, D.C.???

    No, I must have missed the latest Beck episode...........
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #939
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    You want to raise taxes on the middle class?

    This is getting funny now.
    I don't want taxes raised on anyone. I'm a conservative. Howerer, if taxes get raised they should go up the same percentage for everyone. Why are tax cuts to the middle class not called "adding to the deficit?" like tax cuts to the rich are?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #940
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,925

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You have posted nothing that changes what FDR said about collective bargaining by public unions. I am lot older than you and grew up in family that thought FDR was God, not unlike many still today. FDR was very strong in his belief that public unions should not have the right to collective bargaining because they were doing so with people who couldn't participate in the process, the taxpayers, and that the people they were negotiating with could influenced by those unions and the dollars they invest in campaigns. Little has changed today other than states are bankrupt today because of in part union benefits and salaries. I doubt that FDR would change his position.
    I have read many books about FDR including just about everything Schlesinger wrote on the man. He was a dynamic man who was not tied to ideology or the fixed positions of the True Believer.

    You have the right to believe what you think FDR would believe were he around today.

    And so do I. I base my views on the FDR that Schlesinger introduced me to.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •