Page 82 of 201 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 820 of 2002

Thread: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

  1. #811
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Are you saying taxpayers expect to pay the person responsible for teaching their children to be paid less than what is paid in the private sector? And your evidence of this is what exactly?
    I have shown over and over that teachers in WI make less than the national average. Conservatives then bring up fringe benefits, but I am not able to find any statistic that compares fringe benefits, nor have I been provided with one by them. To me, what that says is they are watching a lot of news stations that tell them teacher's are getting overpaid, so they believe teachers are being overpaid.

    It has to be that, otherwise they'd have some sort of stat other than "teachers get paid to much in WI".
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #812
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Are CEO salaries paid by tax payers?
    Do we not pay the CEO salaries through cost added to their products? Why are you ok with paying high prices for CEO's lavish salaries and deny a teacher adequate pay for their services?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #813
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Maybe it's the tax cuts to the middle class that's not working.
    You want to raise taxes on the middle class?

    This is getting funny now.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  4. #814
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I have a problem with it with the only voice public employees have is via their union representation. And judging by what Gov. Walker has done to date, it's pretty obvious he wants to silence that voice, thereby, giving public employees no say in salaries, wages, employee benefits, holiday time off (paid or unpaid) and a host of other issues that ARE afforded private sector employees.
    He wants to take away their right to bargain their wages....something Federal employees have never been allowed. He is not taking away their right to bargain their benefits...something else Federal employees have never been allowed. News Flash: only 11.9% of American workers belong to unions. So you're saying the other 88.1% of workers have no control over their working lives? You've been in a union far too long, Objective Voice. Come!! Join the real world!!

    Imagine if you will state legislators voting themselves pay increases or changing their benefit packages WITHOUT the confidence of the people they represent - the voters? It happens all the time even in the U.S. Congress, but how many voters know about it in a timely fashion to say anything about, for or against? Now, imagine this same thing happening (staying with the example of state legislators) in hard economic times, but legislators deny state employees a pay raise. They get one, but state employees don't...and the reason given, "it's the economy...our budget can't afford a pay increase".

    You see, this is EXACTLY what happened in my state three years ago, but very few people across the state knew anything about it until word leaked out the next time the legislature tried to vote themselves another pay raise. This time, people all across the state complained and not surprisingly, the vote failed. Now, while this wasn't a union issue, the larger point I'm trying to address is if left up to the legislators they won't have the interest of the state employee in mind; they'll have their own agenda. The ONLY way to make this process fair is to insist that pay raises or any other benefit afforded to state legislators is tied to state employees. In short, if they vote themselves a pay raise, ALL state employees should get one as well. Since WE ALL work for the People and our income is taxpayer funded. No free rides, but TOTAL fairness as well. Better yet, put the vote to the People. If they believe public servants are doing a good enough job to warrant a pay raise, their vote will determine such.
    What does this have to do with the price of potatoes? Nice story, though.

    Again, I'd like to see some evidence of this, but even IF that's the case, such can be brought back into balance WITHOUT silencing the voices of the few advocates public servants have within their state governments. Using a state's financies woes as an excuse to disband unions for public employees is nothing more than a ploy. Attack the real problem with real solutions, not trumped up BS.
    I love it! "I'd like to see some evidence....but even IF that's the case...." I won't bother with evidence. Find it yourself. It's all over the internet. Get your head out of your union steward's Mercedes and come join the rest of us in the real world. As to your "even if" argument, maybe you're right. Maybe it is a camel's nose thingie about disbanding public sector unions. #1: Good. #2: The state of Wisconsin has a $77 BILLION underfunded pension deficit. $77 BILLION. It's the 4th largest per resident in the nation. The state's going broke. And you would say, "Hey!!! Why you pickin' on us???" Jeesh.

    Wisconsin Budget Battle Underscores History of Hand-Wringing Over Public-Sector Unions

    Read at this link.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #815
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    At $75,000., that's $390.62 a day or $48.83 an hour. Sounds like damned good money to me, and I'll bet to 90% of all Americans.

    The hourly rate of teachers should be publicized and I'll bet public sentiment will turn against them in a heartbeat.

    90% of American are not college educated. Lets see your facts showing teachers are overpaid for their education level.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #816
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Maybe it's the tax cuts to the middle class that's not working.
    LOL! Well at least makes as much sense as anything else you've said.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #817
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    90% of American are not college educated. Lets see your facts showing teachers are overpaid for their education level.
    Let's see yours that they're not. As a Conservative poster on DP, I post link after link after LINK with my opinions. Those I disagree with seldom post any -- but they're great at askin' for them.

    I posted a link (I think it was actually to YOU) showing that private school teachers make less than public school teachers. I'll not be looking for it again. I'm sure you can find it yourself if you choose. But then you won't believe it when you see it anyway.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #818
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I have shown over and over that teachers in WI make less than the national average. Conservatives then bring up fringe benefits, but I am not able to find any statistic that compares fringe benefits, nor have I been provided with one by them. To me, what that says is they are watching a lot of news stations that tell them teacher's are getting overpaid, so they believe teachers are being overpaid.

    It has to be that, otherwise they'd have some sort of stat other than "teachers get paid to much in WI".

    Imagine the horror of taxpayers having to pay teachers with 4 to 8 years of college, $75,000 to teach their children.


    BTW, Like your new sig line. I had thought about grabbing that one myself when I saw it posted.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #819
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Competition in the free market is new to you? I blame our education system.
    If Wal-Mart moved in to compete, you can move out to compete.
    You can also pick a market to compete in without Wal-Mart. Hell, you can use Wal-Mart in your supply chain.

    You don't really have a point in any of this.
    When people demonize Wal-Mart they are neglecting to consider the consumer.
    Wal-mart has been a blessing to people because of their lower prices. Some people have to shop there because that's what they can afford. When the economy is bad their profits go up, and vice versa.
    Also, they treat employees well in wages, benefits, promotions etc. and they are not even unionized. I'm surprised they don't just treat their employees like crap and pay them minimum wage
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #820
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Do we not pay the CEO salaries through cost added to their products? Why are you ok with paying high prices for CEO's lavish salaries and deny a teacher adequate pay for their services?
    How many CEO's do you fund with your purchases and why if you care so much about what a private sector CEO makes do you purchase from their company?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •