Page 73 of 201 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 2002

Thread: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

  1. #721
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    From private investors
    So private investors give millions to hedge fund managers for what exactly?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #722
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    yeah...no it's certainly not right. a person running a school district should make a decent salary. why do you oppose that?
    CEO's paychecks are not cut by the government out of tax money, while public employees are paid through tax money, as are union negotiated contracts, benefits, healthcare, etc. Therefore, define "decent salary", and is that the same as "big salaries" as you described or are we talking about two different things?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #723
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    But tax cuts have been proven to stimulate business and individual spending.
    I would like to see your proof?

    Because that has not been the case with the tax cuts given to the wealthy and corporations over the last decade in the US as a whole.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #724
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I would like to see your proof?

    Because that has not been the case with the tax cuts given to the wealthy and corporations over the last decade in the US as a whole.
    Then your argument isn't with me, it's with the United States Congress.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #725
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    So private investors give millions to hedge fund managers for what exactly?
    In hopes of making a better return on their investment than they would get out of a savings account. Where do you think the hedge funds get their money?

  6. #726
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    CEO's paychecks are not cut by the government out of tax money, while public employees are paid through tax money, as are union negotiated contracts, benefits, healthcare, etc. Therefore, define "decent salary", and is that the same as "big salaries" as you described or are we talking about two different things?
    Isn't this fun? Liberals cannot defend their position thus they run when confronted.

  7. #727
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Then your argument isn't with me, it's with the United States Congress.
    So you have no proof of your claim?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #728
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I would like to see your proof?

    Because that has not been the case with the tax cuts given to the wealthy and corporations over the last decade in the US as a whole.
    Why would anyone provide you with proof because you would ignore it anyway?

    Use the non partisan bea.gov to see economic growth after tax rate cuts by the Reagan and Bush Administrations. I asked haymarket for an answer and he refused so how about you telling me what you believe the fair share of taxes should be for those evil rich people and corporations that employ people?

  9. #729
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    In hopes of making a better return on their investment than they would get out of a savings account. Where do you think the hedge funds get their money?
    From the same place teachers get their money, from us taxpayers (investors), they just make 800,000 times more.

    So you have no problem with hedge fund managers making millions, but you think teachers are overpaid for getting $75,000, which includes their benefits?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #730
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Not sure that the FDR paper was in the last ten pages but suggest you find that paper and see what the "Father of liberalism" said about public unions. There is nothing that prevents public unions from being heard but when the leadership of that union demands from elected Representatives of the taxpayer that they provide public unions with better benefits than the private sector and then directs campaign contributions to representatives that support unions, there is something wrong with that picture.
    I'd like to compare health benefits packages with you or any employee within the private sector and see if this is really true. I doubt it, however. For example, the amount of my compensated care for hospital stays longer than 30-days has decreased over the years. My insurance policy no longer covers vision care directly; it's now an additional $24.95 per month for coverage that's not incorporated into my main healthcare provider coverage, yet my premium remained the same. I don't get overtime and my travel reinbursements (whenever I do travel which was seldom to begin with) has been drastically reduced. So, from someone who's seeing this cuts at the state level first hand knowing how much I get paid, I fail to see how my salary and benefits eclipse those of the private sector. Believe me when I say I'm living paycheck to paycheck just like very body else.

    Scott Walker ran on the platform he is implementing in Wisconsin and the election results gave him the authority to do what he said he would do. As we were told by Obama elections have consequences, "we won, you lost" except now when the election results went against the unions in Wisconsin. Public unions have no business having collective bargaining rights and FDR agrees.
    Using your logic, I can tell you to stop your bitching concerning Pres. Obama. But...

    Fact is, yourself and just about every other Conservative out there hate Unions whether public or private. I'll give you that many unions have become more like lobbyist, but that doesn't mean that all unions are bad for business or the people they represent. Some have done good work to ensure fairness in pay, employment opportunities and health and safety standards for those they represent. If the issue is perceived "over-reach", might I suggest you and others who share your perspective address those issues accordingly with the unions and their counterparts. But attempting to silence them and/or destroy them while proclaiming to "get your financial house in order" just doesn't seem to be of the proper accord. Governors should be able to work on their budget problems while also pulling back some of the perceived "over-reach" they believe unions have without destroying them and, effectively, removing any voice state employees have. Doing so would, in effect, create state-sponsored dictatorships. That's wrong no matter how yourself and others try to defend it!!
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 02-24-11 at 01:33 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •