Page 153 of 201 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 2002

Thread: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

  1. #1521
    Holy Crap!
    Red Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, USA
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,429

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Yeah, that's probably why all the big corporate money went to the GOP candidates in 2010, right?
    And the unions gave loads of money to Obama and they want their money's worth now.
    Catch me if you can.

  2. #1522
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Correlations are not causations. Read your history more carefully.
    I have read the history, and I lived through it. Where is the causation, or even a correlation, that shows tax cuts to the wealthy have improved our economy since they were slashed 30 years ago?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #1523
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Actually, no they did not. Though the majority probably did go to the republicans, we're probably talking about a 51% or 52% majority. Check out OpenSecrets.org and you'll see I'm right. Republican politicians are not the only ones with their hands out. Heck, even beloved Teddy R. was guilty of such political bribery and it was the exposure of the bribes that he had taken which fueled him to act accordingly.
    Out of the top ten political donors in 2010, seven were corporate donors for conservatives and three were union donors for democrats. Remove the Unions from the picture and where does that leave us?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #1524
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Yeah, that's probably why most of the big corporate money went to the GOP candidates in 2010, right?
    Did those companies force their employees to donate part of their paychecks to Republican candidates?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #1525
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Out of the top ten political donors in 2010, seven were corporate donors for conservatives and three were union donors for democrats. Remove the Unions from the picture and where does that leave us?
    Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2010 | OpenSecrets

    Check again, my friend.

  6. #1526
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I have read the history, and I lived through it. Where is the causation, or even a correlation, that shows tax cuts to the wealthy have improved our economy since they were slashed 30 years ago?
    By that logic, would you propose doing away with the earned income credit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #1527
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    A return to the progressive taxes that served the country so well during the 50 year period when we had the best economy with the least debt for the most Americans.
    Do you need someone to read the post of mine that laid out how much the rich are paying according to the IRS? We have a progressive tax rate skewed to the top earners. Think it is fair that 47% of income earners don't pay any Federal Income Taxes? Here it is again, read it and understand it. 38% of all tax revenue comes from the top income earners.

    The top 1% of wage earners make 20% of all income and pay 38% of all taxes.
    The top 5% of wage earners make 34.7% of all income and pay 58.7% of all taxes.
    The top 10% of wage earners make 45.8% of all income and pay 69.9% of all taxes.

    The bottom 50% make 12.8% of all income and pay 2.7% of all taxes.

    Currently approximately 47% of all Americans pay nothing and actually get money back making their tax rate negative.

  8. #1528
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,507

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Serfdom? Well, maybe not, but conditions are problematic. As noted above, the gap is growing.
    It's a sign that we're free to prosper, and getting increasingly better at it. How is that anything but good?

    And if we have to match wages and benefits of third world countries to keep business here, well, . . . do we really want that?
    That's unreal. You know what happens when foreign nations open up serious investment with the U.S. right? The exact opposite.

    The top trade cities in India or China end up being the first to get modernized and end up with rates much closer to market rates than the rest of their respective nations, and eventually that spreads. Same with culture and their influence on our culture and vice-versa. It's a wonderful thing. We RAISE nations up with free trade in a free market. We'd do this until none are left to raise up, and then what? We'd all be at market rates.

    The doomsday scenario you want to lesiglate from is non-existent, and as such, is dangerous.

    And that goes for conservatives too. Every time you try protectionist crap, the U.S. is going to be the big loser. Let our ambitious people be free to stake a U.S. claim in any market we can. Else, someone else will.
    Last edited by Mach; 02-28-11 at 07:59 PM.

  9. #1529
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Out of the top ten political donors in 2010, seven were corporate donors for conservatives and three were union donors for democrats. Remove the Unions from the picture and where does that leave us?
    I'm waiting...

  10. #1530
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Do you need someone to read the post of mine that laid out how much the rich are paying according to the IRS? We have a progressive tax rate skewed to the top earners. Think it is fair that 47% of income earners don't pay any Federal Income Taxes? Here it is again, read it and understand it. 38% of all tax revenue comes from the top income earners.

    The top 1% of wage earners make 20% of all income and pay 38% of all taxes.
    The top 5% of wage earners make 34.7% of all income and pay 58.7% of all taxes.
    The top 10% of wage earners make 45.8% of all income and pay 69.9% of all taxes.

    The bottom 50% make 12.8% of all income and pay 2.7% of all taxes.

    Currently approximately 47% of all Americans pay nothing and actually get money back making their tax rate negative.
    But...that's different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •