Page 141 of 201 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 2002

Thread: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

  1. #1401
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Why would you exclude educators with Master and PHD degrees? I already did show this in my link to the census data. Perhaps you should actually read it this time.
    Hello? Catawba?? Tell me what the average Wisconsin teacher with a Master's or a PhD makes and we can have a discussion about it.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #1402
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Hello? Catawba?? Tell me what the average Wisconsin teacher with a Master's or a PhD makes and we can have a discussion about it.
    It was included in the total average for educators in Wisconsin - approximately $50,000.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #1403
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It was included in the total average for educators in Wisconsin - approximately $50,000.
    No, it was not. Those with advanced degrees were figured in the average, but the average does not reflect the average of those teachers with advanced degrees -- it reflects the average of all teachers...advanced degree or no.

    Here's something else I found:

    FACT: Wisconsin teachers are paid an average salary of $51,000. Annualized to account for their 180-day work year, that’s $68,000, and that is in addition to their very fine benefits, pensions, and job security. The median household income — that is, total household income, including households with two or more earners — was $49,993 in 2009 in Wisconsin. Therefore, after adjusting for the different work years — and not including teachers’ unusually generous benefits — a typical single Wisconsin teacher earns 36 percent more than the typical Wisconsin home.
    Wisconsin Myths and Facts - Matthew Shaffer - National Review Online

    Give it up, Catawba. Just give it up.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #1404
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    No, it was not. Those with advanced degrees were figured in the average, but the average does not reflect the average of those teachers with advanced degrees -- it reflects the average of all teachers...advanced degree or no.

    Here's something else I found:

    Wisconsin Myths and Facts - Matthew Shaffer - National Review Online

    Give it up, Catawba. Just give it up.
    I'd say your source is biased:

    National Review and National Review Online are America’s most widely read and influential magazine and website for Republican/conservative news, commentary and opinion. Both the magazine and website provide insightful and incomparable coverage of today’s — and tomorrow’s — most important political, economic, social, and cultural issues and trends.

    National Review and National Review Online are the benchmark vehicles for reaching those Republicans/conservatives who lead and shape opinion on all the important issues.

    Source
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  5. #1405
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    I'd say your source is biased:

    National Review and National Review Online are America’s most widely read and influential magazine and website for Republican/conservative news, commentary and opinion. Both the magazine and website provide insightful and incomparable coverage of today’s — and tomorrow’s — most important political, economic, social, and cultural issues and trends.

    National Review and National Review Online are the benchmark vehicles for reaching those Republicans/conservatives who lead and shape opinion on all the important issues.

    Source
    I see your point. However, just because a source has the possibility of being biased, doesn't mean everything it prints is untrue....

    FACT: Wisconsin teachers are paid an average salary of $51,000. Annualized to account for their 180-day work year, that’s $68,000, and that is in addition to their very fine benefits, pensions, and job security. The median household income — that is, total household income, including households with two or more earners — was $49,993 in 2009 in Wisconsin. Therefore, after adjusting for the different work years — and not including teachers’ unusually generous benefits — a typical single Wisconsin teacher earns 36 percent more than the typical Wisconsin home.
    It is true that they make an average of $51K. It is true they work 180 days a year. It is true that extrapolates to $68K in the private sector. It is true that this $51K doesn't include their Rolls Royce benefit plans and the value of tenure.

    What is not true (according to the U.S. Census Bureau) is that Wisconsin's household income is $49,993. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, it is actually $52,103. Wisconsin QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau -- not a very material error since that still means that the average teacher by his/herself makes 32% more than the state's median household income.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #1406
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I see your point. However, just because a source has the possibility of being biased, doesn't mean everything it prints is untrue....
    No of course not. For example, I use to read the NYT and I know that they have a bias, but that doesn't mean I dismissed what they said. I was just bringing up the point that, while they are no doubt a reputable source, one must always be on guard for possible bias.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  7. #1407
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,093

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    FACT: Wisconsin teachers are paid an average salary of $51,000. Annualized to account for their 180-day work year, that’s $68,000, and that is in addition to their very fine benefits, pensions, and job security. The median household income — that is, total household income, including households with two or more earners — was $49,993 in 2009 in Wisconsin. Therefore, after adjusting for the different work years — and not including teachers’ unusually generous benefits — a typical single Wisconsin teacher earns 36 percent more than the typical Wisconsin home.
    How many times... in lord knows how many threads ... by how many different people ... does the same crap have to be flushed before it stays down?

    Please read this so this can be put to rest.

    http://www.cows.org/pdf/bp-WIpublics...mpensation.pdf
    Last edited by haymarket; 02-27-11 at 06:22 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #1408
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    How many times... in lord knows how many threads ... by how many different people ... does the same crap have to be flushed before it stays down?

    Please read this so this can be put to rest.

    http://www.cows.org/pdf/bp-WIpublics...mpensation.pdf
    This is just another source on the internet, Haymarket. I know you think it should be taken as be-all-end-all, but quite obviously, it isn't. Stop trying to tell us that cows is another way to spell god.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #1409
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,093

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This is just another source on the internet, Haymarket. I know you think it should be taken as be-all-end-all, but quite obviously, it isn't. Stop trying to tell us that cows is another way to spell god.
    Maggie - be honest here please. This is the study you attempted to blast because you found fault with it. Then you admitted they were right. So what is wrong with it now?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #1410
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Maggie - be honest here please. This is the study you attempted to blast because you found fault with it. Then you admitted they were right. So what is wrong with it now?
    No-no-no. I called the study out because it said the pension plan was in great shape....and later found I was incorrect. Haymarket, I can do the math myself -- from U.S. Census Data. And I did it above. Jeffrey Keefe has concluded (if you click on his report) that public sector employees throughout the country are underpaid when compared to the private sector. How could anyone believe that? Where is the methodology? Where are links to US Census Bureau Data?

    I'm not buying it. Doesn't pass the MaggieD Test. Sorry.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •