Page 122 of 201 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 2002

Thread: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

  1. #1211
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why did the politicians set it up so only a small group pays it

    because if they had applied it to everyone they probably would have been shot

    why do you people cite Paris Hilton rather than the 75 percent of those who die with a taxable estate who earned it as first generation millionaires?
    Because Paris Hilton will benefit from it. The dead person shouldn't give a ****. They're dead.

    It's lazy children like Paris Hilton who benefit from it. Remeber, spouses don't ever pay it. Only children raised with gigantic silver spoons in their mouths pay it.

  2. #1212
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    After the loopholes, deductions and tax breaks for the wealthy, our tax system is no longer progressive.
    actually you are wrong

    the federal income tax structure is more progressive now than at any time in history

    the top 1 percent pay more of the tax burden than at any time

    40 percent



  3. #1213
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Because Paris Hilton will benefit from it. The dead person shouldn't give a ****. They're dead.

    It's lazy children like Paris Hilton who benefit from it. Remeber, spouses don't ever pay it. Only children raised with gigantic silver spoons in their mouths pay it.
    why should YOU benefit for what HER father earned

    your envy is obvious



  4. #1214
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    FilmFestGuy! I'm surprised. Less coffee. More brain.
    Look, I'm not a fan of Teachers Unions. I know that sounds weird. I think they contribute (along with some really bad public policies) to our poor education system.

    However, I find it repulsive that we are taking the economic downturn out on them (and other public workers) instead of taking it out on the people who caused it; all of whom are skating away freely while working people attack other working people.

    And everyone here just completely ignores the fact that Walker has put his plan to sell public property (funded by taxpayers) off to anyone he wants at any price he wants.

    He's corrupt and he hates working people. I'm just surprised that working people seem to want to take everything away from other working people instead of trying to improve their own benefits to match those of public workers.

    There was a time when a LOT of workers had good benefits. But those have all largely been taken away in the name of even more wealth for people who are already so wealthy they couldn't possibly spend it all. Average wages for working people have stagnated for more than a decade; but productivity has risen; profits have risen - which means we are all working harder and not seeing the fruits of our labor.

    We've become complacent and decided that we don't deserve what we earn for our work. We have let certain classes take good-paying jobs and benefits away from hard-working people.

    This was once a country that held the promise that if you worked hard, you would do better than your parents did. No more. Now, you should consider yourself lucky to stay even with them and not fall behind.

    Again: housing costs 1970 to present have risen more than twice the rate of wages. Health care has risen 5 times wages since 1970.

    If productivity and profits are up - but wages are stagnant - it means that we're not getting paid for our work anymore.

    Teachers are not the reason this economy fell apart. Neither are cops, janitors, that old bitty at the BMV, or fire fighters.

    This economy fell apart due to ruthless people who abhor the middle class and are trying to further destroy it with bills like this.

    The only way to keep capitalism afloat is to keep the masses comfortable. That's the problem with today's capitalists. They hate the middle class so much that they're beginning to bury them. The results will eventually not be pretty. I know it will sound weird to you, but I like capitalism.

    I like what I do for a living and I'm living more comfortably than I ever have. Unlike some people, though, I realize that it was more than just my hard work to get where I am. It was my education and it was a government system that protects my physical and intellectual property. I don't mind paying for those services and I don't mind the people who provide them making a decent living.

  5. #1215
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    the only hate i see comes from rich democrats who loathe the thought of the poor becoming less dependent on the government or the middle class becoming wealthy.

    half of my closest friends(club) are millionaires, the other half are mostly blue collar friends from the gun and sportsmens club. no one rich I know hate the middle class and none of my hourly wages buddies think that either. what both groups tend to dislike are rich libs who whine about the plight of the poor while scheming to keep them that way



  6. #1216
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why should YOU benefit for what HER father earned

    your envy is obvious
    I wouldn't benefit **** from it. Other than it can keep my middle class taxes at a rate that can keep our government working. Because I (and the thousands of others whose incomes would combine with mine to make an equal amount to the wealth she would inherit) will spend a higher percentage of our income than she will and as a result, will produce more jobs that pay good middle class wages and create a thriving economy.

    Here's the rub: She didn't do jack **** for it either - but she'll still benefit from the tax if the economy is thriving and the remainder of her inheritance continues to grow thanks to rising market.

    Simply put: when Clinton raised taxes, we were told by your types that the economy was going to collapse and the rich would "suffer". Well, they didn't suffer because we had a thriving middle class who raised the incomes of the rich by purchasing their products. What's good for the rich is NOT good for the middle class; but what is good for the middle class is good for the rich.

  7. #1217
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Helvidius View Post
    I think Conservative was arguing that even someone as pro-union as FDR understood the inevitable problems that come with allowing public unions. It isn't so much about what he thinks of FDR as much as FDR, arguably the most pro-union president the US has ever had, identifying that unions have no place in the public sector.
    Outstanding response, thank you, it was exactly right.

  8. #1218
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    So your plan is cut the working man back to third world wages so we can compete??? If you think "luring" companies to your area over another is important than raise taxes on everyone to pay for it, don't take it away from working people trying to make a living. These unfunded expenditures have much more to do with our debt than does the piddling amount we pay our teachers, firefighters and police.

    Do you really believe we can become debt free on the backs of the working class?
    You obviously don't have a clue as to what this issue is all about so do what liberals do, make up outrageous claims that even you know are wrong.

  9. #1219
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I wouldn't benefit **** from it. Other than it can keep my middle class taxes at a rate that can keep our government working. Because I (and the thousands of others whose incomes would combine with mine to make an equal amount to the wealth she would inherit) will spend a higher percentage of our income than she will and as a result, will produce more jobs that pay good middle class wages and create a thriving economy.

    Here's the rub: She didn't do jack **** for it either - but she'll still benefit from the tax if the economy is thriving and the remainder of her inheritance continues to grow thanks to rising market.

    Simply put: when Clinton raised taxes, we were told by your types that the economy was going to collapse and the rich would "suffer". Well, they didn't suffer because we had a thriving middle class who raised the incomes of the rich by purchasing their products. What's good for the rich is NOT good for the middle class; but what is good for the middle class is good for the rich.
    you didn't do jack for what Hilton made and why should you pay less tax when he already pays income taxes far more than you and 1000 like you pay

    clinton got lucky with the dot com bubble



  10. #1220
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    actually you are wrong

    the federal income tax structure is more progressive now than at any time in history

    the top 1 percent pay more of the tax burden than at any time

    40 percent

    History begs to differ:

    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •