Page 100 of 201 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2002

Thread: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

  1. #991
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Work your way up to it. You know it takes work and time to earn. Why do you want a reward before you invest anything? It's silly.
    Some people can't work their way up much more than where they start. Some people aren't very smart, unfortunately.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    I cited sources to dismiss your numbers as average CEO compensation. 300-500 range, stop cherry picking for effect.
    I am using one of the worst case scenarios. 300-500 isn't much better.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Yes, they have the only thing it takes human capital.
    Oh, let me run down to the bank and let them know that I have human capital and get that loan then!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    My first job was at minimum wage. I worked my way up through the market, and started a business.
    How is this possible?
    Good for you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Exactly. You want to step in and dicatate to others what they can recieve in payment, and what the emloyer should pay them. It's authoritarian, sorry.
    That's what regulations are. So are regulations are evil because they "dictate to other" what they can do? I don't get your point. Why do you get to dictate to me what regulation is good and what regulaton is evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Because it makes no sense. Didn't exist? Are they in a ****ing black hole? I guess he'd get sucked in the black hole too?
    How do I say this without coming off harsh... its a simple question, man. Here, I'll answer it for you:

    Without the cashiers, stock boys, greeters, etc, Wal-Mart wouldn't make a dime and the CEO wouldn't make a dime either. Wow, that was easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Did they get disintigrated by Klingons? If they all quit, the CEO would go get another job, or hire more people. What the **** do you think he'd do?
    Right because they have to take the salary because Wal-Mart does not allow collective bargaining. They are bullies.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Authoritarians care about telling people what to do. Slave owners care about keeping slaves.
    Now you are comparing me to a slave owner because I think the CEO of Wal-Mart makes too much money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Caring, you see, is hardly meaningful to the discussion.
    You asked who cared. I answered. Are you thick?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Who claimed the free market was perfect?
    And who claimed free markets (in reality) exist or can exist without rules (typically government in origin)?
    Well I assume then, that since you admit the free market is not perfect, that you will not ever again say, "because the free market decided it".

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    You're barking up the wrong tree.
    I don't even think you know what you are talking about anymore. You're just throwing out insults, straw mans, and making things up as you go. "You're barking up the wrong tree" made no sense there.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #992
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    That didn't answer anything. You basically just said, "I am right, you are wrong. Shut up."

    What makes one person in a company worth 2100 times another? How much would the CEO be making if it was not for the cashiers, stock boys, greeters, janitors, etc?
    How much would those cashiers, stock boys, greeters, janitors, be making if they worked for another store?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  3. #993
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    What you speak of is the exception, not the rule. I am married to a teacher and I can tell you she works harder and puts in more hours that her private sector counterparts for less money.
    Yes, there are many public school teachers who are passionate about what they do and are paid less than what they're worth.

    My point was that there is little ethical difference between the lazy schoolteacher exploiting her union position and the CEO exploiting professional contacts, except in the extent of schmoozing.

  4. #994
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    How much would those cashiers, stock boys, greeters, janitors, be making if they worked for another store?
    Well that is just my argument. The free market has set their value and it has set the value of their respective CEOs. I am arguing that the free market, in this case, got it wrong. Especially in the case of Wal-Mart, which in my opinion is proof of what happens when unions are not allowed to enter into a market. And even with unions, it would be difficult to raise compensation to a fair level because the free market has deemed these people so unvaluable.

    According to this Wal-Mart fact sheet, they employ around 2 million people worldwide:

    http://walmartstores.com/download/2230.pdf

    So that means, if the CEO were to take an $8 million dollar pay cut (he would still make $27 million not including benefits and bonuses), each employee would receive $4 an hour more. That's a 50% increase in wages for many of their employees! In fact, for those that have a starting salary of $8 an hour, their annual salary would look like this:

    $8: $16,440 (which if I have to tell you how terrible that is...)
    $12: $24,960 (still not great)

    To me, that is a market failure that this can happen in front of everyones eyes and nothign is done. In fact, many of you argue against it.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  5. #995
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Waaaah! The meme-herders never want to play with me!

  6. #996
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    It is--as a result of those subsidies, other people's (or your kids') taxes will be increased to cover it.
    Not sure but could the lack of subsidies effect the price of gas for all of us?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #997
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Yes, there are many public school teachers who are passionate about what they do and are paid less than what they're worth.

    My point was that there is little ethical difference between the lazy schoolteacher exploiting her union position and the CEO exploiting professional contacts, except in the extent of schmoozing.
    I guess I don't see the exploitation you see by public school teachers. If there is a bad teacher in your school district, there are more opportunities to address that than in the private sector. And the so called exploitation, I suppose you mean their meager salary and benefits, is about what the average is for someone with comparable education.

    Are there probably some examples of bad teachers in Wisconsin that don't deserve $75,000 a year? I'm sure there are but it doesn't mean that teachers in general are being overpaid.

    We have a lot of problems in this country but overpaid teachers is not one of them.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #998
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Your post is a perfect illustration of the evils of the right wings conservatives in many states putting the goose step to text book publishers to sanitize their US History textbooks of anything about actual American labor history. Thank you for providing this insight.
    Two minutes ago you were telling someone to look at his calendar and forget what FDR said about public sector Unions...now...
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  9. #999
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    So your thinking is a state governor has no need to conduct himself better than our average individual thug?
    He did conduct himself better. He didn't do what they thought about doing. I'm thinking about smacking my cat because he is bugging me right now. I'm not going to though, because I don't believe in abusing animals.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #1000
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Walker takes broad swipe at public employee unions

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    If the employee has developed no prior cozy relationship (either direct or indirect) with his/her employer, he/she is always paid the bare minimum by his/her employer. It's just that with union shop agreements, that bare minimum is higher.
    Sure...that's why Wal-Mart pays well above minimum wage and has good benefits. Guess they all must have cozy relationships with the boss.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •