Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Students die trapped in frigid Ga. cave waterfall

  1. #1
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Students die trapped in frigid Ga. cave waterfall

    LaFAYETTE, Ga. Two college students have died in a Georgia cave after rappelling into a waterfall and getting stuck under the frigid water.

    More U.S. news Obama unveils $3.73 trillion budget for 2012
    Updated 27 minutes ago 2/14/2011 6:48:54 PM +00:00 President Barack Obama sent Congress a $3.73 trillion budget Monday that holds out the prospect of eventually bringing deficits under control through spending cuts and tax increases. Full story
    'Constant battle' on America's forgotten border Updated 29 minutes ago 2/14/2011 6:46:13 PM +00:00 Calif. seeks to nab phones used by likes of Manson Midwest fears snow, ice will turn into floods Updated 5 minutes ago 2/14/2011 7:10:18 PM +00:00 Police: Person shot in hand on Tenn. campus Authorities in the north Georgia mountains say the two men from the University of Florida apparently died of hypothermia. It took rescuers more than eight hours Saturday to retrieve their bodies from a depth of about 100 feet.

    Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson named the men as 20-year-old Grant Lockenbach and 18-year-old Michael Pirie.

    Authorities say they were among 10 students from Gainesville, Fla., who went exploring in Ellison's Cave on Saturday.

    Witnesses told officials that someone dropped a bag down a pit. They say Lockenbach rappelled down to retrieve the bag but got tangled in his ropes. They say Pirie went down to help but also got stuck.
    Students die trapped in frigid Ga. cave waterfall - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com


    what the hell? the guys are dangling at the end of some 100' ropes. why did it take 8 hours to grab the damn ropes and pull them up?


    I couldn't get the video to load, was there any more details in the vid?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #2
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Students die trapped in frigid Ga. cave waterfall

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    Students die trapped in frigid Ga. cave waterfall - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com


    what the hell? the guys are dangling at the end of some 100' ropes. why did it take 8 hours to grab the damn ropes and pull them up?



    I couldn't get the video to load, was there any more details in the vid?
    it took 8 hours to retrieve the bodies.........i'm sure they weren't in a hurry at that point.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #3
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Students die trapped in frigid Ga. cave waterfall

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    it took 8 hours to retrieve the bodies.........i'm sure they weren't in a hurry at that point.
    unless these guys weighed 300 pounds each, a couple of people in their group should've been able to pull them up. it's not like they fell into the pit and died instantly. they repelled down and their ropes got tangled. someone at the top should've been able to pull them up.

    and what are the odds of both guys getting their ropes tangled? either these guys were dumbasses who didn't know what they were doing and had no business in a cave, or there is more to this story than what was reported in the article.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #4
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: Students die trapped in frigid Ga. cave waterfall


  5. #5
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Students die trapped in frigid Ga. cave waterfall

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    unless these guys weighed 300 pounds each, a couple of people in their group should've been able to pull them up. it's not like they fell into the pit and died instantly. they repelled down and their ropes got tangled. someone at the top should've been able to pull them up.

    and what are the odds of both guys getting their ropes tangled? either these guys were dumbasses who didn't know what they were doing and had no business in a cave, or there is more to this story than what was reported in the article.
    the rappelled down and got stuck, 100 ft down. who knows what condition they were in when they got stuck?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Students die trapped in frigid Ga. cave waterfall

    Good odds that large quantities of beer were involved.

    Rapelling down is one thing. Getting back up again is an entirely different matter. Not too bright.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Students die trapped in frigid Ga. cave waterfall

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    tragic... but Darwin...

    Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson said that the students broke away from the group and decided to explore by themselves.

    He said: 'They were only dressed in T-shirts and jogging shorts and certainly were not dressed appropriately for going in a cave.

    'It is not a place for inexperienced cavers.'
    'It was a bad decision to go there as it was well above their skill level.'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •