Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 241

Thread: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

  1. #141
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Who or what assigns value? The free market? You since you support this "idea"? What is the free market? How exactly does it decide?

    Teachers need to make themselves more valuable? Again, these are subjective things that you talk about like they are fact. Prove to me that one job is worth more than another and I will find someone who disagrees.

    Is the Vice President of Sales in the North East of a major corporation more valuable than a heart surgeon who works in a local hospital? You tell me.
    teachers are a dime a dozen-maybe not good ones but ones qualified to get a public school NEA job

    look at any big state university-where do those intending to become teachers rank in terms of the students who aspire to engineering, law, medicine?

    yeah not real high.

    you can complain about the market assigning values you disagree with but that has more validity than a bunch of bureaucrats making that determination

    and yes some professions are vastly overvalued-from some "hedge managers" CEOs movie stars ball players, tort lawyers etc

    but that is no argument to let a bunch of scum like Krugman or Robert Reich have the power to assign salaries



  2. #142
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    So put away the subjective things and look towrad the objective measures. One might make more money. The other gets to go home at the day of his/her day. One gets to hold an annointed place in the community the other is a corporate manager who people think makes too much. Money is not the only measure of what you get out of a job.
    Yes, as proven by the hardworking, intelligent Americans who choose to become teachers or EMTs even though they know they will not receive much money. They do it because they know they are helping better society.

    I am not assigning value based off of money, conservatives are when they say these people should have to pay more and live harder lives because they "contribute" less. I don't know how they assign these values, but they do.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The money has to come from somewhere.

    I think that's the disconnect with Leftists. Ya'll think money grows on trees and it's just sitting there, waiting to be picked.
    We could just take it from your business!

    Just kidding, of course. Do you know that there are quite a few Americans who make over a billion per year for arguably nothing? How many lives have hedge fund managers changed?

    In the future, how many people are going to say, "Remember those hedge fund managers that made America great!"? But somehow the free market has valued these types of people to be the most valuable people in our country. Why? Mostly because they can exploit the free market.

    Apparently being able to exploit the free market makes someone more valuable than a hardworking teacher or doctor.

  3. #143
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I wonder if you have any facts to counter the one's the award winning economist cites.
    that appeal is akin to saying Bush was right because he was the most powerful man in the world for 8 years


    Krugman's a hack and btw Obama got a nobel and that impresses me not at all.



  4. #144
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The money has to come from somewhere.
    Yes, that is what is being discussed, whether the taxes should be proportioned to according to wealth or whether the middle class should subsidize the wealthy.

    Which are you for?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #145
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Yes, as proven by the hardworking, intelligent Americans who choose to become teachers or EMTs even though they know they will not receive much money. They do it because they know they are helping better society.

    I am not assigning value based off of money, conservatives are when they say these people should have to pay more and live harder lives because they "contribute" less. I don't know how they assign these values, but they do.



    We could just take it from your business!

    Just kidding, of course. Do you know that there are quite a few Americans who make over a billion per year for arguably nothing? How many lives have hedge fund managers changed?

    In the future, how many people are going to say, "Remember those hedge fund managers that made America great!"? But somehow the free market has valued these types of people to be the most valuable people in our country. Why? Mostly because they can exploit the free market.

    Apparently being able to exploit the free market makes someone more valuable than a hardworking teacher or doctor.
    I wonder why the left fixates on an extremely small number of people and try to use them as a prototype for every capitalist or top two percent tax payer. "exploit" is a loaded term and essentially dishonest when applied to such people



  6. #146
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Yes, that is what is being discussed, whether the taxes should be proportioned to according to wealth or whether the middle class should subsidize the wealthy.

    Which are you for?
    how does the middle class subsidize the wealthy when the wealthiest 5% pay more of the federal income and death taxes than the rest of the nation?

    more dishonesty on your part



  7. #147
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that appeal is akin to saying Bush was right because he was the most powerful man in the world for 8 years. Krugman's a hack and btw Obama got a nobel and that impresses me not at all.

    Again no facts to counter those posted, just more unsubstantiated opinion.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #148
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    teachers are a dime a dozen-maybe not good ones but ones qualified to get a public school NEA job

    look at any big state university-where do those intending to become teachers rank in terms of the students who aspire to engineering, law, medicine?

    yeah not real high.

    you can complain about the market assigning values you disagree with but that has more validity than a bunch of bureaucrats making that determination

    and yes some professions are vastly overvalued-from some "hedge managers" CEOs movie stars ball players, tort lawyers etc

    but that is no argument to let a bunch of scum like Krugman or Robert Reich have the power to assign salaries
    Look, I am not an economist. My understanding of the big picture is somewhat limited. The difference between you and me is that you dislike the people who contribute little to society, make very little, and pay very little in and still use lots of government resources. Whereas I am more offended by those whose salaries are grossly inflated and who will never have to put in an honest days work.

    In reality, both of these groups are an issue, it just depends on which one you think is more of a dire issue. And furthermore, who gets do "decide salary" is another issue that really has no great solution that I know of.

    Also, I think calling teachers a "dime a dozen" is a mistake. First it is not good enough if you only have a college diploma (which is what many Americans made a living on during the 20th century). Now even having a college diploma isn't enough? What about social workers? Are they a dime a dozen to?

  9. #149
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Again no facts to counter those posted, just more unsubstantiated opinion.
    your nonsense is getting tiresome

    you claim that Krugman's opinion is more valuable because he won an award that was the subjective decision of a small group of people with a decidedly leftist bent and claim that such an award means he is right

    you are among the most disengenuous posters when it comes to pretending irrelevant facts support your opinion

    the facts you post don't make your opinions right



  10. #150
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Look, I am not an economist. My understanding of the big picture is somewhat limited. The difference between you and me is that you dislike the people who contribute little to society, make very little, and pay very little in and still use lots of government resources. Whereas I am more offended by those whose salaries are grossly inflated and who will never have to put in an honest days work.

    In reality, both of these groups are an issue, it just depends on which one you think is more of a dire issue. And furthermore, who gets do "decide salary" is another issue that really has no great solution that I know of.

    Also, I think calling teachers a "dime a dozen" is a mistake. First it is not good enough if you only have a college diploma (which is what many Americans made a living on during the 20th century). Now even having a college diploma isn't enough? What about social workers? Are they a dime a dozen to?
    dislike has nothing to do with it

    and teachers are a dime a dozen

    its called reality

    its an easy profession to enter

    that's why the pay is not very high

    like or dislike has nothing to do with it



Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •