Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 241

Thread: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

  1. #111
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the wealthiest pay far more than they use and that causes the others to demand more stuff since they dont have to pay for it

    the rich do not have a moral duty to pay for all the crap people like you want

    if you are serious about stopping a massive deficit the only way to do that is to make all America responsible for paying that debt and the mass majority of people DO NOTand thus HAVE NO INCENTIVE to stop the spending
    Thanks for your opinion. Now let's review the facts:


    "A remarkable study (Norton & Ariely, 2010) reveals that Americans have no idea that the wealth distribution (defined for them in terms of "net worth") is as concentrated as it is. When shown three pie charts representing possible wealth distributions, 90% or more of the 5,522 respondents -- whatever their gender, age, income level, or party affiliation -- thought that the American wealth distribution most resembled one in which the top 20% has about 60% of the wealth. In fact, of course, the top 20% control about 85% of the wealth"

    "The ratio of CEO pay to factory worker pay rose from 42:1 in 1960 to as high as 531:1 in 2000"

    "Most amazing of all, the top 0.1% -- that's one-tenth of one percent -- had more combined pre-tax income than the poorest 120 million people (Johnston, 2006)."

    "Furthermore, if the top 20% have 84% of the wealth (and recall that 10% have 85% to 90% of the stocks, bonds, trust funds, and business equity), that means that the United States is a power pyramid. It's tough for the bottom 80% -- maybe even the bottom 90% -- to get organized and exercise much power."

    "only 39 of the 134 countries have worse income inequality."

    Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

    It is clear to see how this disparity came about by observing how the top tax rates were slashed:



    Top Marginal Tax rates since 1913 & Great Depression (Designing better futures)
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #112
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    So you want wealth redistribution
    No, you do. You want the tax system changed which would more than likely distribute even more wealth up top. So, therefore, you want to redistribute wealth.

    Wow, talking points are easy!

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Or reform it... whatever. Either way, we need more income and less expendatures. If you think you have a grand plan, that sounds good, let's hear it.

    I am just tired of hearing "cut taxes and cut spending". It's rhetoric and not realistic.
    Cut spending and subsidies and go to fair tax act

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    No, you do. You want the tax system changed which would more than likely distribute even more wealth up top. So, therefore, you want to redistribute wealth.

    Wow, talking points are easy!
    You are wrong

  5. #115
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,663

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Thanks for your opinion. Now let's review the facts:


    "A remarkable study (Norton & Ariely, 2010) reveals that Americans have no idea that the wealth distribution (defined for them in terms of "net worth") is as concentrated as it is. When shown three pie charts representing possible wealth distributions, 90% or more of the 5,522 respondents -- whatever their gender, age, income level, or party affiliation -- thought that the American wealth distribution most resembled one in which the top 20% has about 60% of the wealth. In fact, of course, the top 20% control about 85% of the wealth"

    "The ratio of CEO pay to factory worker pay rose from 42:1 in 1960 to as high as 531:1 in 2000"

    "Most amazing of all, the top 0.1% -- that's one-tenth of one percent -- had more combined pre-tax income than the poorest 120 million people (Johnston, 2006)."

    "Furthermore, if the top 20% have 84% of the wealth (and recall that 10% have 85% to 90% of the stocks, bonds, trust funds, and business equity), that means that the United States is a power pyramid. It's tough for the bottom 80% -- maybe even the bottom 90% -- to get organized and exercise much power."

    "only 39 of the 134 countries have worse income inequality."

    Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

    It is clear to see how this disparity came about by observing how the top tax rates were slashed:



    Top Marginal Tax rates since 1913 & Great Depression (Designing better futures)
    that is a complete fail when it comes to addressing either

    1) cutting down on more government growth

    2) and making those who demand more government pay for it rather than forcing such duty on those who already pay for most of the federal government



  6. #116
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,663

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You are wrong
    socialists think those who win in a capitalist system are"Given" money just like those who get handouts from welfare socialism

    they think that the government is responsible for the rich being rich and thus the government has the right to take away what it has given



  7. #117
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Cut spending and subsidies and go to fair tax act
    I do not have any fundamental problems with the fair tax. I think it has promise and, in theory, could work. The only real issues I see with it is that it taxes consumption, so it could cause the rich to spend less, especially on American goods, which would cause even more cash hoarding.

    If there is a big fair tax on that new jet they want, they may just go somewhere else and buy it or avoid it all together. It does not address the issue of people who have entirely too much money.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You are wrong
    Great debating with you. Well, I wouldn't call it debating.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 02-17-11 at 11:50 PM.

  8. #118
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is a complete fail when it comes to addressing either
    More of the usual from you, heavy on opionion and shy of facts to back them up. If you have facts to counter what I've presented, post them, as I have little regard for your opinion as it has been proven wrong so many times.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #119
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,663

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    More of the usual from you, heavy on opionion and shy of facts to back them up. If you have facts to counter what I've presented, post them, as I have little regard for your opinion as it has been proven wrong so many times.
    my opinion-people ought to pay for what they want and if they cannot afford to pay for that they have no moral authority demanding others pay for it

    so how are my opinions "wrong"

    and neither you nor the other welfare socialists ever proven anything I have stated is "Wrong"



  10. #120
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,663

    Re: Obama budget resurrects rejected tax increases

    one does not disprove a life philosophy based on an appeal to numbers. I couldn't care less how much wealth is owned by who or what. It has no relevance in my believe that you should pay for what you demand and if you dont have the means to afford what you want, you arent entitled to demand others pay for it unless and only if you can establish that either your legitimate need or your inability to pay for what you want was directly caused by those you seek payment from



Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •