Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

  1. #21
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    05-19-18 @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,832

    Re: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

    Never happen.....the smart move is to control the spread of information, not cut it off. Besides, once the fun sites are cut off, the people will be on the streets. Not what the govt wants. A better place for our moronic masses is sitting in front of their computers in their jammies.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #22
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,031

    Re: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    strawman.

    We are not arguing what Obama can do without the bill even being a factor... we are arguing what Obama can do if the bill becomes law.

    I have read the bill. There is nothing in it that gives Obama the authority to just shut the internet off. Nothing.

    I think Obama is the worst president we've had in 40 years... and even I think whining about this bill allowing him to shut off the internet is a crock of ****.
    I worry more about what limits a bill has. I don't see anything in this bill that prevents the government from shutting down the internet in a time of, "emergency".
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I worry more about what limits a bill has. I don't see anything in this bill that prevents the government from shutting down the internet in a time of, "emergency".
    So the argument has morphed from 'this bill gives Obama the authority to simply shut off the internet', to 'this bill doesn't specifically prevent Obama from shutting off the internet'.

    Sorry, but that dog won't hunt.

  4. #24
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,390

    Re: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you even a member of this forum?
    5 years in October. How long you been here again? Glad to see you can't read a bill though.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

  5. #25
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,422

    Re: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Unlikely it will pass the GOP controlled House
    After all, they did such a good job protecting the 4th amendment from the Patroit Act.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-23-15 @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    After all, they did such a good job protecting the 4th amendment from the Patroit Act.
    What did Obama do about the Patriot act?

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    What did Obama do about the Patriot act?
    Congress reauthorized the Patriot Act extension without change for two years when it expired in December 2009. Obama signed it without comment. The Patriot Act belongs to Obama and the Left now. But this was not ever about civil liberties. It was about power.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-23-15 @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Congress reauthorized the Patriot Act extension without change for two years when it expired in December 2009. Obama signed it without comment. The Patriot Act belongs to Obama and the Left now. But this was not ever about civil liberties. It was about power.
    So I guess Obama agreed with the Patriot act

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,031

    Re: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    So the argument has morphed from 'this bill gives Obama the authority to simply shut off the internet', to 'this bill doesn't specifically prevent Obama from shutting off the internet'.

    Sorry, but that dog won't hunt.
    It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that this bill gives the government the authority to close the internet, "in the interest of cyber security".
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  10. #30
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,422

    Re: Obama may get power to shut down Internet without court oversight

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Congress reauthorized the Patriot Act extension without change for two years when it expired in December 2009. Obama signed it without comment. The Patriot Act belongs to Obama and the Left now. But this was not ever about civil liberties. It was about power.
    You are correct... he also was on the wrong side of civil liberties on this one, and in general. I agree, it is about power and convenience. The President wants to get the job done and finds civil liberties a huge convenience to that end.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •