Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    Less than a week before President Obama is set to deliver his State of the Union address next Tuesday, a group of House Republicans today introduced a proposal to cut spending from more than 100 federal programs and cut back spending levels by $2.5 trillion over the next decade.

    The bill, known as the Spending Reduction Act, would hold non-security discretionary spending for Fiscal Year 2011 to FY 2008 levels, and freeze non-defense discretionary spending to FY 2006 levels for a 10-year budget window – saving almost $2.3 trillion over the next 10 years, according to the Republican Study Committee (RSC).
    It doesn't appear (so far) they have the balls to look at Medicare and other entitlements.

    Here's where they talk about appeasing their base:

    Rep. Scott Garrett, R-New Jersey, said the legislation fulfills the GOP’s pledge to cut spending back to 2008 levels and would also return $45 billion from the stimulus bill that has not yet been spent.
    Ah, yes, the pledge...So, regardless if it has any real or meaningful effect, they did what they said and now they're off the hook? Got it.

    And, um, speaking of job-killing...

    The measure would also eliminate automatic pay increases for civilian federal workers for five years and would cut the civilian workforce by 15 percent through attrition -- permitting the hiring of only one new worker for every two workers who leave the federal workforce until the reduction target has been met.
    Here's a better idea, why not cut the offices that are overstaffed and overpaid, and expand the offices that are understaffed and therefore inefficient--like banking and industry regulators.

  2. #2
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    mid-illinois
    Last Seen
    10-08-16 @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    272

    Re: GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    i didnt see anything on cutting the USDA farm subsidies program, so IMO they arent finished...

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyteRash View Post
    i didnt see anything on cutting the USDA farm subsidies program, so IMO they arent finished...
    Agreed. But who wants to pay more for every single product that uses high fructose corn syrup? All the Teatards who want to pay $29.00 for a box of cereal, raise your hands.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    Less than a week before President Obama is set to deliver his State of the Union address next Tuesday, a group of House Republicans today introduced a proposal to cut spending from more than 100 federal programs and cut back spending levels by $2.5 trillion over the next decade.

    The bill, known as the Spending Reduction Act, would hold non-security discretionary spending for Fiscal Year 2011 to FY 2008 levels, and freeze non-defense discretionary spending to FY 2006 levels for a 10-year budget window – saving almost $2.3 trillion over the next 10 years, according to the Republican Study Committee (RSC).
    It doesn't appear (so far) they have the balls to look at Medicare and other entitlements.

    Here's where they talk about appeasing their base:
    Rep. Scott Garrett, R-New Jersey, said the legislation fulfills the GOP’s pledge to cut spending back to 2008 levels and would also return $45 billion from the stimulus bill that has not yet been spent.

    Ah, yes, the pledge...So, regardless if it has any real or meaningful effect, they did what they said and now they're off the hook? Got it.

    And, um, speaking of job-killing...

    The measure would also eliminate automatic pay increases for civilian federal workers for five years and would cut the civilian workforce by 15 percent through attrition -- permitting the hiring of only one new worker for every two workers who leave the federal workforce until the reduction target has been met.
    Here's a better idea, why not cut the offices that are overstaffed and overpaid, and expand the offices that are understaffed and therefore inefficient--like banking and industry regulators.
    And the Dems did something about spending on Medicare and other entitlements? Oh... right.. they did... they INCREASED SPENDING there, didn't they.

    So.... keeping their promises is 'appeasing their base'... it's a bad thing to keep promises. Got it.

    Job killing?
    cut the civilian workforce by 15 percent through attrition
    You're pathetic. Not hiring new workers to fill jobs as people retire is not job killing.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    How about actually showing us what the cuts proposed are, instead of whining...

    Here’s the list of proposed cuts to federal programs, which save a total of about $330 billion, according to the committee:

    *
    o International Fund for Ireland. $17 million annual savings.
    o Save America’s Treasures Program. $25 million annual savings.
    o Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings.
    o Legal Services Corporation. $420 million annual savings.
    o National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.
    o National Endowment for the Humanities. $167.5 million annual savings.
    o Hope VI Program. $250 million annual savings.
    o Amtrak Subsidies. $1.565 billion annual savings.
    o Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.
    o U.S. Trade Development Agency. $55 million annual savings.
    o Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy. $20 million annual savings.
    o Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings.
    o John C. Stennis Center Subsidy. $430,000 annual savings.
    o Community Development Fund. $4.5 billion annual savings.
    o Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid. $24 million annual savings.
    o Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.
    o Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.
    o Essential Air Service. $150 million annual savings.
    o Technology Innovation Program. $70 million annual savings.
    o Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program. $125 million annual savings.
    o Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.
    o Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings.
    o New Starts Transit. $2 billion annual savings.
    o Exchange Programs for Alaska, Natives Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts. $9 million annual savings.
    o Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants. $2.5 billion annual savings.
    o Title X Family Planning. $318 million annual savings.
    o Appalachian Regional Commission. $76 million annual savings.
    o Economic Development Administration. $293 million annual savings.
    o Programs under the National and Community Services Act. $1.15 billion annual savings.
    o Applied Research at Department of Energy. $1.27 billion annual savings.
    o FreedomCAR and Fuel Partnership. $200 million annual savings.
    o Energy Star Program. $52 million annual savings.
    o Economic Assistance to Egypt. $250 million annually.
    o U.S. Agency for International Development. $1.39 billion annual savings.
    o General Assistance to District of Columbia. $210 million annual savings.
    o Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. $150 million annual savings.
    o Presidential Campaign Fund. $775 million savings over ten years.
    o No funding for federal office space acquisition. $864 million annual savings.
    o End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.
    o Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act. More than $1 billion annually.
    o IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget. $1.8 billion savings over ten years.
    o Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees. $1 billion total savings.
    o Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years.
    o Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of. $15 billion total savings.
    o Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.
    o Eliminate Mohair Subsidies. $1 million annual savings.
    o Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. $12.5 million annual savings.
    o Eliminate Market Access Program. $200 million annual savings.
    o USDA Sugar Program. $14 million annual savings.
    o Subsidy to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). $93 million annual savings.
    o Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program. $56.2 million annual savings.
    o Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs. $900 million savings.
    o Ready to Learn TV Program. $27 million savings.
    o HUD Ph.D. Program.
    o Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post

    Job killing?
    You're pathetic. Not hiring new workers to fill jobs as people retire is not job killing.

    For better or worse at a ratio of 2 to 1 that is minus 1 job.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    For better or worse at a ratio of 2 to 1 that is minus 1 job.
    killing jobs is vastly different than not replacing retiring workers.

  8. #8
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Agreed. But who wants to pay more for every single product that uses high fructose corn syrup? All the Teatards who want to pay $29.00 for a box of cereal, raise your hands.
    Seems to me that this should be exactly what the Leftist food police would love to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    And the Dems did something about spending on Medicare and other entitlements? Oh... right.. they did... they INCREASED SPENDING there, didn't they.

    So.... keeping their promises is 'appeasing their base'... it's a bad thing to keep promises. Got it.

    Job killing?
    You're pathetic. Not hiring new workers to fill jobs as people retire is not job killing.
    I'm impressed with this myself. KUDOS!
    Many things the (R) promised seems likely to happen if the (D) doesn't turn into the party of No.

    Here's just a few on the list. Many reflect what the people were asking for.

    GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package - The Note

    The bill would save $30 billion by eliminating federal control of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, YES!

    Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy. $445 million annual savings

    National Endowment for the Arts. $167.5 million annual savings.

    Eliminate duplicative education programs. H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by

    Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually
    Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding. $47 million annual savings

    Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half. $7.5 billion annual savings.

    Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20%. $600 million annual savings.

    Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization. $530 million annual savings.

    Beach Replenishment. $95 million annual savings
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #10
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: GOP Lawmakers Unveil $2.5 Trillion Spending Cuts Package

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    And the Dems did something about spending on Medicare and other entitlements? Oh... right.. they did... they INCREASED SPENDING there, didn't they.

    So.... keeping their promises is 'appeasing their base'... it's a bad thing to keep promises. Got it.
    Actually so did republicans. Or did we forget about Bush and the prescription (unfunded) bill? The republicans in this case get credit for at least making an attempt, but it's still not the right time to cut spending(when unemployment under 6 %, then it's time to do this), and it's still just cutting programs based on what they do not like, instead of making the broad, across the board cuts(including defense) that is needed.

    Job killing?
    You're pathetic. Not hiring new workers to fill jobs as people retire is not job killing.
    By this logic the fact that there is job creation, but slower than needed to keep up with new workers means unemployment rates are dropping. if there are fewer jobs, then there are fewer jobs.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •