Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57

Thread: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

  1. #31
    That European Guy
    GarzaUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I'll say it, they're not REAL Christians. Given what you've written, I don't think you're familiar with Christ's teaching at all. If you were, you'd get just how wrong these people have it.
    I am very familar with Christ's teachings and I know for example he would be against million dollar super churches. He also said to sell everything you have, give it to the poor and live a life of poverty but many christains choose to ignore it.

    Christains pick and choose Christ's teachings all the time, Phelps is no different to any other christain. The only difference is lack of empathy, but that empathy a secular characteristic not a religious one.

    You argument is that Westboro belief is not what I believe so therefore it is wrong. But that can be applied to any church and denomination. Are catholics REAL christains? Methodists? The guy preaching around the corner? A christain who believes homosexuals will have a place in paradise? What is the definition of a REAL christain?

    Every christain is a real one and there is no real christains if you get me, because unless you KNOW the mind of your god, it is all subjective.
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." ~ Isaac Asimov

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

    Quote Originally Posted by GarzaUK View Post
    How can you say its more wrong....or more right for that matter? Unless you conversed with the almighty himself/herself/self and asked him/her/its opinion on these matters? That is all christainity (or any other religion) is...guesswork - you wonder why there is thousands of denominations and sects?

    For all we know "God" could be nodding down at Westboro and saying "these guys get me".

    I disagree with Westboro from my own moral standpoint, but not a divine standpoint because I could not possibly comment what a god/gods desire is...no can any other person. That's why people can't say they are not "REAL" christains, because even they disagree among themsevles what REAL christainity even means.
    I don't sit here and pretend relativism and all things are somehow morally equivalent. I am an atheist, so I don't believe in there being a God that passes down commands to people to commit acts.
    What our society is willing to tolerate is enough for me to pass judgement as to the quality of this church's version and interpretation of christianity is, and how it stacks up in comparison. So I can absolutely say that I believe that WBC and the Phelps clan are far worse than other christians based on the actions they take vs. the actions of other christian groups.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  3. #33
    That European Guy
    GarzaUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    I don't sit here and pretend relativism and all things are somehow morally equivalent. I am an atheist, so I don't believe in there being a God that passes down commands to people to commit acts.
    What our society is willing to tolerate is enough for me to pass judgement as to the quality of this church's version and interpretation of christianity is, and how it stacks up in comparison. So I can absolutely say that I believe that WBC and the Phelps clan are far worse than other christians based on the actions they take vs. the actions of other christian groups.
    I agree Phelps and his cronies do act more appallingly than other christain sects, they conflict with our secular moral compass that is engrained in the religious and the secular alike - the golden rule. BUT that does not make them any more or less REAL christain because NO-ONE knows what REAL christainity is! Only the Christain God knows and judge that sort of thing. How do people know, they don't, therefore logic dictates that everyone is a real christain or no-one is (they are just making their best guess at it).

    No-one can say Phelps is wrong and not a real christain, because they also may be wrong and not a real christain. One might be right, both might be wrong, but they both can't be right.
    Last edited by GarzaUK; 01-10-11 at 12:08 PM.
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." ~ Isaac Asimov

  4. #34
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

    I don't remember any asterix after "thou shalt not kill."

    But then again, I'm not an expert on the subject.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

    It's funny watching the same posters say "they are not Christians", while some of them have posts on here suggesting that extremist Muslims are actually true Muslims.

  6. #36
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    It's funny watching the same posters say "they are not Christians", while some of them have posts on here suggesting that extremist Muslims are actually true Muslims.



    You had to go and be "that guy" didn't you. /facepalm
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

    Moderator's Warning:
    Here's a wild thought. How about we keep the discussion on the topic of this thread, which is Westboro's reaction to the shooter.

  8. #38
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

    We should banish the WBC to Uganda. That way they can live in a country which exemplifies their values and we can live in a country without the WBC. It's a win-win for everyone.

  9. #39
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

    It's interesting that whenever there is a chance to be ultra media whores the Westboro Baptist Church never disappoints. It's amazing to me that a church with such a small number of members manages to stay in the headlines like this. Why feed into it by being outraged?

  10. #40
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Westboro Baptist Church: ‘Thank God For the Shooter’

    Quote Originally Posted by SirPwn4lot View Post
    I've always praised the United States for its freedom of speech protections, but they're by no means exclusive. The US is certainly not the only nation that would allow them to speak what they do.
    I'm not sure about that. Every other nation has put significant limits on freedom of speech. The sort of speech this church engages in would easily be banned under the various hate speech laws, especially here in Europe.

    I've gotta give em at least an infinitesimal amount of respect, since, regardless of what you think of them, they sure have taken a literal stand on some aspects of the Bible.
    They're nothing if not literal, that's for sure.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •