Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Bees in freefall as study shows sharp US decline

  1. #1
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    shocked2 Bees in freefall as study shows sharp US decline

    Fish..... birds...... bees.......

    The abundance of four common species of bumblebee in the US has dropped by 96% in just the past few decades, according to the most comprehensive national census of the insects. Scientists said the alarming decline, which could have devastating implications for the pollination of both wild and farmed plants, was likely to be a result of disease and low genetic diversity in bee populations.
    Bumblebees are important pollinators of wild plants and agricultural crops around the world including tomatoes and berries thanks to their large body size, long tongues, and high-frequency buzzing, which helps release pollen from flowers.
    Bees in general pollinate some 90% of the world's commercial plants, including most fruits, vegetables and nuts. Coffee, soya beans and cotton are all dependent on pollination by bees to increase yields. It is the start of a food chain that also sustains wild birds and animals.


    CONTINUED: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jan/03/bumblebees-study-us-decline
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  2. #2
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Bees in freefall as study shows sharp US decline

    Someone brought this up in that thread about what the most danger to the world is. Humans are getting hit too. I know six couples off the top of my head that couldn't conceive and I'm not that social of a person.

    Modern living is hitting men right where it hurts the most, with sperm counts falling more quickly than anyone thought, U.S. researchers said Monday.
    Sperm Count Decline Confirmed
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  3. #3
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Bees in freefall as study shows sharp US decline

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Someone brought this up in that thread about what the most danger to the world is. Humans are getting hit too. I know six couples off the top of my head that couldn't conceive and I'm not that social of a person.



    Sperm Count Decline Confirmed
    It would be a social victory if we could choose who could and could not. Seriously though thats scary!
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  4. #4
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Bees in freefall as study shows sharp US decline

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    It would be a social victory if we could choose who could and could not. Seriously though thats scary!
    Isn't it? This is in India, but still:

    Infertility is rising at a rapid rate -- nearly 30 million couples in the country suffer from infertility, making the incidence rate of infertile couples to be 10 percent.
    Infertility: A rising problem in India
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  5. #5
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Bees in freefall as study shows sharp US decline

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Someone brought this up in that thread about what the most danger to the world is. Humans are getting hit too. I know six couples off the top of my head that couldn't conceive and I'm not that social of a person.

    Sperm Count Decline Confirmed
    Okay... birds, bees and sperm all seem to go together but what is this about fish???

    Yeah I know, bad pun

    I suppose the real question is... do any of these observations share anything other than some sort of superficial commonality? The bee decline has been going on for years and sperm counts for decades. I'm not sure what the fish and bird deaths have in common other than real estate on the Drudge Report.

  6. #6
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Bees in freefall as study shows sharp US decline

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Okay... birds, bees and sperm all seem to go together but what is this about fish???

    Yeah I know, bad pun

    I suppose the real question is... do any of these observations share anything other than some sort of superficial commonality? The bee decline has been going on for years and sperm counts for decades. I'm not sure what the fish and bird deaths have in common other than real estate on the Drudge Report.
    I don't know if it's superficial...different species have different tolerance levels for chemicals in their body. Frogs are dying off in a large number too.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •