Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 470

Thread: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

  1. #371
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    All utilities have the authority to discontinue service during an emergency. This is nothing new.
    If it's nothing new then why did you try to dismiss it as conspiracy?

    Change your argument much?

  2. #372
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    All utilities have the authority to discontinue service during an emergency. This is nothing new.
    True, but how many want the ability to control the thermostat inside your home ???

    Shutting power off to a house or building is quite a bit different than being able to adjust the thermostat inside the building.

    Maybe you wouldn't mind if they wanted to change the channel you're watching on tv, or maybe log you off of unapproved web sites.

    Wait, they are already trying to do that..... never mind.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #373
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If it's nothing new then why did you try to dismiss it as conspiracy?

    Change your argument much?
    Say what? You seem to have me confused with Glen Beck, he is the one that suggested it was a conspiracy. Utilities have had the authority to discontinue service during an emergency since their inception
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #374
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Say what? You seem to have me confused with Glen Beck, he is the one that suggested it was a conspiracy.
    No I realize that Glenn Beck is not posing in this thread. It was your post #363 which tried to dismiss my argument as kook conspiracy. Now you're trying to change your argument and say it occurs all the time. Well which is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Utilities have had the authority to discontinue service during an emergency since their inception
    Discontinuing service is one thing (and no, a utility can't discontinue at-will unless your contract specifies such, non of mine do), a legal mandate to place a device in your home to control that service is another. It's the difference between your car insurance choosing to drop you and your car insurance installing a tracking device which can override your control of the vehicle. The DP mod team can choose to ban you, but not place a program inside your PC override your use of that PC.

  5. #375
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    True, but how many want the ability to control the thermostat inside your home ???

    Shutting power off to a house or building is quite a bit different than being able to adjust the thermostat inside the building.

    Maybe you wouldn't mind if they wanted to change the channel you're watching on tv, or maybe log you off of unapproved web sites.

    Wait, they are already trying to do that..... never mind.
    Which is more cost effective for a utility, being able to discontinue service during an emergency electronically or having to have a man climb a pole and turn off the transformer switch? Should utilities also have not switched to computerized billing, so they could continue manual billing that cost them and you more money?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #376
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No I realize that Glenn Beck is not posing in this thread. It was your post #363 which tried to dismiss my argument as kook conspiracy. Now you're trying to change your argument and say it occurs all the time. Well which is it?
    It is a kook conspiracy to think that a utility turning off service during an emergency is doing something they do not already have authority to do. Its the same thing I have been saying.



    Discontinuing service is one thing (and no, a utility can't discontinue at-will unless your contract specifies such, non of mine do), a legal mandate to place a device in your home to control that service is another. It's the difference between your car insurance choosing to drop you and your car insurance installing a tracking device which can override your control of the vehicle. The DP mod team can choose to ban you, but not place a program inside your PC override your use of that PC
    .

    Where did you get the "at-will" part? The language in the proposed regulations you linked, which did not pass as I understand it, stated "during an emergency," which is the same authority they have had since before you were born.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #377
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Which is more cost effective for a utility, being able to discontinue service during an emergency electronically or having to have a man climb a pole and turn off the transformer switch? Should utilities also have not switched to computerized billing, so they could continue manual billing that cost them and you more money?
    Except this has nothing to do with discontinuing service....

    Do you actually think turning down/up a thermostat, or even turning the HVAC system off remotely "discontinues" the house electrical service ???? What about all the other appliances, lights, electronics in the house.

    You should really think before hitting the submit button next time.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #378
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Except this has nothing to do with discontinuing service....

    Do you actually think turning down/up a thermostat, or even turning the HVAC system off remotely "discontinues" the house electrical service ???? What about all the other appliances, lights, electronics in the house.

    You should really think before hitting the submit button next time.
    So you would prefer that instead of just turning back on your heat or AC during an emergency, that they turn off your power completely?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #379
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    So you would prefer that instead of just turning back on your heat or AC during an emergency, that they turn off your power completely?
    What possible benefit is there to turning off the HVAC during an emergency while leaving the electricity on to the rest of the house ????

    Explain that !

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #380
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    What possible benefit is there to turning off the HVAC during an emergency while leaving the electricity on to the rest of the house ????

    Explain that !
    I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that many blackouts occur because of all the AC units that are on full blast in the summer. It's like that here in Chicago on really hot days. It looks like this is one of those things where they are trying to avoid a full shut down, while also dealing with the emergency by decreasing the load.

    Granted, that is an assumption on my part.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 01-12-11 at 12:44 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •