Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 470

Thread: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

  1. #321
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Peak oil DOES NOT mean we are producing less oil than we consume, it means we used more of the Earth's oil than is left in reserves.

    At least learn what you are talking about.
    I thank you for your opinion, even though it is wrong.

    "Peak oil primer

    What is peak oil?

    Peak oil is the simplest label for the problem of energy resource depletion, or more specifically, the peak in global oil production. Oil is a finite, non-renewable resource, one that has powered phenomenal economic and population growth over the last century and a half. The rate of oil 'production', meaning extraction and refining (currently about 85 million barrels/day), has grown almost every year of the last century. Once we have used up about half of the original reserves, oil production becomes ever more likely stop growing and begin a terminal decline, hence 'peak'. The peak in oil production does not signify 'running out of oil', but it does mean the end of cheap oil, as we switch from a buyers' to a sellers' market. For economies leveraged on ever increasing quantities of cheap oil, the consequences may be dire. Without significant successful cultural reform, severe economic and social consequences seem inevitable. "

    This a good source to learn more:
    Peak oil primer and links | Energy Bulletin
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #322
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I thank you for your opinion, even though it is wrong.

    "Peak oil primer

    What is peak oil?

    Peak oil is the simplest label for the problem of energy resource depletion, or more specifically, the peak in global oil production. Oil is a finite, non-renewable resource, one that has powered phenomenal economic and population growth over the last century and a half. The rate of oil 'production', meaning extraction and refining (currently about 85 million barrels/day), has grown almost every year of the last century. Once we have used up about half of the original reserves, oil production becomes ever more likely stop growing and begin a terminal decline, hence 'peak'. The peak in oil production does not signify 'running out of oil', but it does mean the end of cheap oil, as we switch from a buyers' to a sellers' market. For economies leveraged on ever increasing quantities of cheap oil, the consequences may be dire. Without significant successful cultural reform, severe economic and social consequences seem inevitable. "

    This a good source to learn more:
    Peak oil primer and links | Energy Bulletin
    Actually, that's what gill said.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #323
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Actually, that's what gill said.
    Here is the difference, as I see it.

    Gill said, "Peak oil DOES NOT mean we are producing less oil than we consume, it means we used more of the Earth's oil than is left in reserves.

    At least learn what you are talking about."


    Bold emphasis is mine.

    The distinction is not how much reserve oil is left, as Gill stated, but rather a matter of greater usage than production: "Once we have used up about half of the original reserves, oil production becomes ever more likely stop growing and begin a terminal decline, hence 'peak'. The peak in oil production does not signify 'running out of oil', but it does mean the end of cheap oil, as we switch from a buyers' to a sellers' market."
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #324
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Here is the difference, as I see it.

    Gill said, "Peak oil DOES NOT mean we are producing less oil than we consume, it means we used more of the Earth's oil than is left in reserves.

    At least learn what you are talking about."


    Bold emphasis is mine.

    The distinction is not how much reserve oil is left, as Gill stated, but rather a matter of greater usage than production: "Once we have used up about half of the original reserves, oil production becomes ever more likely stop growing and begin a terminal decline, hence 'peak'. The peak in oil production does not signify 'running out of oil', but it does mean the end of cheap oil, as we switch from a buyers' to a sellers' market."
    I added the bold to show that this is pretty much what Gill said.

    Production can stop growing and begin a terminal decline without production being lower than consumption. The Peak point occurs where Gill said it does.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #325
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Gill in this case is correct and so is Tucker


    The production of oil under peak oil can be increased for a time but will cause a sharper drop off in production as the reserves are used up faster then otherwise would have been

    The Hubbert peak theory posits that for any given geographical area, from an individual oil-producing region to the planet as a whole, the rate of petroleum production tends to follow a bell-shaped curve. It is one of the primary theories on peak oil.

    Choosing a particular curve determines a point of maximum production based on discovery rates, production rates and cumulative production. Early in the curve (pre-peak), the production rate increases because of the discovery rate and the addition of infrastructure. Late in the curve (post-peak), production declines because of resource depletion.

    The Hubbert peak theory is based on the observation that the amount of oil under the ground in any region is finite, therefore the rate of discovery which initially increases quickly must reach a maximum and decline. In the US, oil extraction followed the discovery curve after a time lag of 32 to 35 years.[1][2] The theory is named after American geophysicist M. King Hubbert, who created a method of modeling the production curve given an assumed ultimate recovery volume
    Hubbert peak theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Reserves and production rates are generally fairly interconnected, but through secondary and tert recovery methods the production rate can be increased, while draining reservers quicker. Meaning instead of a bell shaped curve for production rates, it will be skewed towards with a sharp drop off as rates will eventually decrease drastically rather then gradually
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  6. #326
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Gill in this case is correct and so is Tucker


    The production of oil under peak oil can be increased for a time but will cause a sharper drop off in production as the reserves are used up faster then otherwise would have been

    Hubbert peak theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Reserves and production rates are generally fairly interconnected, but through secondary and tert recovery methods the production rate can be increased, while draining reservers quicker. Meaning instead of a bell shaped curve for production rates, it will be skewed towards with a sharp drop off as rates will eventually decrease drastically rather then gradually

    Perhaps we are saying the same thing afterall.

    So, would anyone disagree with the point that we passed peak oil in this country in 70/71?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #327
    John Schnatter 2012 Phantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-20-12 @ 12:48 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    638

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    I didn't know people still use those old light bulbs. If you still use them, you are losing money in the long run (and the short term too actually). LEDs are much cheaper if you order them online and they don't burn out like traditional bulbs. You can find ultra bright LEDs in bulk for about $0.20 each in some places. I've put together some lighting circuits of my own and use them in my room and the shed outside. If you are not into electronics you can buy them at any hardware store and they screw in to any fixture. You will see the big savings on your electric bill.
    Vote John Schnatter (Papa John) 2012!

  8. #328
    Student Zyroh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-11 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    237

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    @Catawba, i think the real distinction between what you and gill are saying is that production can decrease for different reasons. if oil production goes down because an oil producing state creates a law making it more difficult to produce oil that is not due to the amount of oil on the planet.

    as to the topic, peak light bulb (hehe) is a separate issue altogether, we need to consider all the implications. one that has yet to be mentioned in this 33 page thread is that there's 5mg of mercury in all the 40 watt twisty light apparatuses (they're not called 'bulbs' are they?) that are replacing the 100 watt incandescent bulbs. that's a lot of nasty stuff getting thrown in our land fills. though i soon the LEDs will replace those we all assume, but two problems with that. first LEDs still only come in a few different colors, secondly we've never had to produce the number of LEDs that we have with the incandescent lamps, i'm not sure all the resources are there for those.
    Democracy is two wolves and sheep voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep willing to contest the vote.

  9. #329
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyroh View Post
    @Catawba, i think the real distinction between what you and gill are saying is that production can decrease for different reasons. if oil production goes down because an oil producing state creates a law making it more difficult to produce oil that is not due to the amount of oil on the planet.
    Politics is not a factor in the bell shaped curve of an oil well's production.

    as to the topic, peak light bulb (hehe) is a separate issue altogether, we need to consider all the implications. one that has yet to be mentioned in this 33 page thread is that there's 5mg of mercury in all the 40 watt twisty light apparatuses (they're not called 'bulbs' are they?) that are replacing the 100 watt incandescent bulbs. that's a lot of nasty stuff getting thrown in our land fills. though i soon the LEDs will replace those we all assume, but two problems with that. first LEDs still only come in a few different colors, secondly we've never had to produce the number of LEDs that we have with the incandescent lamps, i'm not sure all the resources are there for those.
    One has mentioned now 3 times though that the OP refers to halogen light bulbs which contain no mercury.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    In my home I have downlights which operate on these brilliant little 50W lights that produce a pleasant light orange glow, like the old ones did. I dislike pure white light, it annoys my head.

    I have one light in my entire house using an old style light, absolutely the most inefficient lights I've ever owned. It's 70W. In Australia lights must be 15 Lumens/W efficient. It's worked just fine over here, we've also cut greenhouse emissions by 800,000 tonnes, and the lights are cheap as hotcakes, and are still domestically produced.

Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •