Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 470

Thread: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

  1. #281
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    This situation is different from seatbelt laws in one major way. nobody is preventing the consumer form using 100 watt bulbs in this case, while seatbelt laws require the individual to wear it or run the risk of fines.[/qutoe]


    Not yet. In a country where we can ban trans fats, cigarettes, salt, etc.... what makes you think this is a stretch?



    With these lightbulbs, the company is being regulated, not th epeople.

    So my cfl jaundice lights are gonna cost me even more?



    A person would still be free to make their own inefficient 100-watt bulbs and use them in their house if they desire to. No rights are being infringed in this case.

    Nobody is kept from making their own choices.

    Actually aren't we moving towards meters the government controls to set your house temps and energy use. didn't I read that somewhere?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #282
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Right here,
    And its still a better deal that petroleum if you consider the cost of the ME wars necessary to protect the flow of oil to this country which more than doubles the price at the pump.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #283
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    No, the lucky brand jeans you are wearing that you got for $20 are not the same as the $100 pair, I am wearing, even though all the labels are the same. mine will last a couple years, yours, a few months.

    edit to add, they have a slight UPC label change. that's all.


    The companies sell cheaper versions of thier products to big box stores to dupe you the consumer into thinking you are getting a deal.


    I won't even get into thier "meat and fish" departments and the havoc they reek on the ecosystem and your health.
    I can attest to some of this. If you go to something like an outlet mall they generally sell stuff made with lesser qality material or just plain cheaper material in general than what you can find at the actual store or a real mall. This is a very common practice with clothes.

    With that said, I honestly haven't found any difference in quality between my 20 dollar jeans from the outlet mall and my 100 dollar jeans. Unless you get some crap brand they generally all hold up well.

    As far as the other products, if they have the same UPC, they are the same. With electronics if you're saving a ton then you're generally buying cheaper versions made specifically for that one store to sell or you're buying refurbished products.

    I agree with Utah. When I did construction I didn't buy my power tools from walmart or harbor freight, but then again not everybody really needs to spend 250 on a cordless drill if they don't use it to earn money.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  4. #284
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Actually aren't we moving towards meters the government controls to set your house temps and energy use. didn't I read that somewhere?
    If we are, it's an unrelated issue.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 01-06-11 at 04:07 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #285
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    If someone is hellbent on owning a 100 watt incandecent lightbulb despite the fact they can get the same light form a lower wattage bulb, they are still legally allowed to do so, provided they put forth the effort to make it. Like I said, personal responsibility is a bitch.

    It's not like there exists a right to buy whatever the hell you want. It has to be available at the stores. If it isn't, tough titty. Make it yourself or get over it.

    If I really wanted something that I could not purchase, I'd make it. But of course, that's ebcause I don't have teh same entitlment mentality that most peopel have. I know that when you want somehting, you sometimes have to put forth a little effort to have it. i.e. taking personal responsibility.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #286
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    And its still a better deal that petroleum if you consider the cost of the ME wars necessary to protect the flow of oil to this country which more than doubles the price at the pump.
    Maybe shutting down deomestic oil production was a bad idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #287
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Maybe shutting down deomestic oil production was a bad idea?
    No one shut down US oil production. We passed peak oil in this country 40 years ago.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #288
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No one shut down US oil production. We passed peak oil in this country 40 years ago.
    Obama didn't shut down production?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #289
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I'm trying to tell you friend, the wranglers, and the carharts will cost you the same and last 10 times as long.
    The costco basic jeans are a lot cheaper than $20 a pair....$14 IIRC.
    Last cruise to mexico, I noticed the same jeans in one of their big box stores were under $10...after exchange rate difference..
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #290
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    I can attest to some of this. If you go to something like an outlet mall they generally sell stuff made with lesser qality material or just plain cheaper material in general than what you can find at the actual store or a real mall. This is a very common practice with clothes.

    With that said, I honestly haven't found any difference in quality between my 20 dollar jeans from the outlet mall and my 100 dollar jeans. Unless you get some crap brand they generally all hold up well.

    As far as the other products, if they have the same UPC, they are the same. With electronics if you're saving a ton then you're generally buying cheaper versions made specifically for that one store to sell or you're buying refurbished products.

    I agree with Utah. When I did construction I didn't buy my power tools from walmart or harbor freight, but then again not everybody really needs to spend 250 on a cordless drill if they don't use it to earn money.
    Be on the lookout for some DeWalt tools in a black and yellow canvas bag, stolen in AZ in broad daylight when I left my garage door open while I took a nap.....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •