Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 470

Thread: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Let's bring GE back by increasing corporate taxes if they don't make the bulbs the govt wants.
    Why don't we increase corporate taxes on companies who send jobs overseas? That might actually work to keep manufacturing jobs in the U.S.

  2. #172
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Doesn't this fall under the umbrella of interstate commerce?

    Isn't that something that the federal government should regulate, as per the Constitution?

    Why are people getting outraged over this?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #173
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Doesn't this fall under the umbrella of interstate commerce?

    Isn't that something that the federal government should regulate, as per the Constitution?

    Why are people getting outraged over this?
    Because gosh darn it, where does it end? Shucks, it's 100 watt lightbulbs today, it's who I can marry next... Whoops!

  4. #174
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I've not endorsed or even mentioned ethanol. However, while I agree that food based ethanol is a non-starter, non-food based ethanol still has promise, particularly with algae. This was but one of the energy options explored by the R&D funding. The referenced report was by the Rocky Mountain Institute. Do you have a source more authoritative to refute it?




    No, I claimed we are more in debt because Reagan dismantled Carter's energy programs, and that's just in the area of energy. I won't even get into here the other areas where he increased our national debt.
    Water is needed to produce any kind of ethanol. I think the only thing worse than turning our food supply into our fuel supply, would be turning our water supply into our fuel supply. Imagine the blow back, if water became a traded commodity, like grain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #175
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Water is needed to produce any kind of ethanol. I think the only thing worse than turning our food supply into our fuel supply, would be turning our water supply into our fuel supply. Imagine the blow back, if water became a traded commodity, like grain.
    Water is needed to produce most things... including gasoline production.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #176
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Water is needed to produce most things... including gasoline production.
    Does a gallon of produced gasoline create three gallons of waste water, like ethanol does? Most of the water used to produce gasoline, is used for cooling and be recycled within the refinery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #177
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Does a gallon of produced gasoline create three gallons of waste water, like ethanol does? Most of the water used to produce gasoline, is used for cooling and be recycled within the refinery.
    "Among algal fuels' attractive characteristics: they do not affect fresh water resources,[2] can be produced using ocean and wastewater, and are biodegradable and relatively harmless to the environment if spilled.[3][4][5] Algae cost more per unit mass (as of 2010, food grade algae costs ~$5000/tonne), due to high capital and operating costs[6], yet can theoretically yield between 10 and 100 times more energy per unit area than other second-generation biofuel crops."
    Algae fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #178
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "Among algal fuels' attractive characteristics: they do not affect fresh water resources,[2] can be produced using ocean and wastewater, and are biodegradable and relatively harmless to the environment if spilled.[3][4][5] Algae cost more per unit mass (as of 2010, food grade algae costs ~$5000/tonne), due to high capital and operating costs[6], yet can theoretically yield between 10 and 100 times more energy per unit area than other second-generation biofuel crops."
    Algae fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That's all fine and good, but what becomes of the waste water created from ethanol production?

    Also, how do we contend with the fact that it takes a gallon-and-a-half of ethanol to produce the same amount of energy as a gallon of gasoline? People are going to be paying the same price--or more--and using more ethanol to produce the same effect. Gonna have a hard time selling that one to the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #179
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's all fine and good, but what becomes of the waste water created from ethanol production?

    Also, how do we contend with the fact that it takes a gallon-and-a-half of ethanol to produce the same amount of energy as a gallon of gasoline? People are going to be paying the same price--or more--and using more ethanol to produce the same effect. Gonna have a hard time selling that one to the people.
    Water is recycled in algae production, and it yields between 10 and 100 times more energy per unit area than other second-generation biofuel crops. If you look at the true cost of gasoline, adding in the military support to keep the oil from the Persian Gulf flowing, this is a cost effective alternative.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #180
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Kiss your 100-watt lightbulb goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Why don't we increase corporate taxes on companies who send jobs overseas? That might actually work to keep manufacturing jobs in the U.S.
    How do you do that?

    Let's say Acme Brick decides it's too costly to manufacture here in the USA. So they do some research and find that an Albanian Brick Plant would make them competitive again. Oh wait, if they do that they'll be taxed so much it won't make a difference!

    So what would you do if you were Acme Brick?

    That's right! You would liquidate your company, and then invest in a new Albanian Brick Company that happened to be starting up. You'd offer your services in getting the product to market, marketing...

    Good job Catz, you succeeded in doing nothing.

    Try thinking through ideas before posting them.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •