Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

  1. #11
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Apparently they think the birds were killed by fireworks. So we'll have to outlaw fireworks of course.
    I think that's a stupid theory. Where were all the dead birds in the past 4th of Julys and New Years Eves?
    Maybe there is a conection between the birds and the water, the bottom feeders and black birds. Are there any hatcheries/egg farms in the area. There have been fish kills in Ohio from the accidental/purposeful dumping of waste from these factory farms.
    I don't know..it's a mystery for now I guess.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  2. #12
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I think that's a stupid theory. Where were all the dead birds in the past 4th of Julys and New Years Eves?
    Maybe there is a conection between the birds and the water, the bottom feeders and black birds. Are there any hatcheries/egg farms in the area. There have been fish kills in Ohio from the accidental/purposeful dumping of waste from these factory farms.
    I don't know..it's a mystery for now I guess.
    Actually - right in this area (again - I'm right near where the birds died) - there's a few farms - mostly cattle type ranches, not so much agriculture - it's too swampy for that. And there's forestry (lumber) services - lots of it. If you were to look at a map and find the location of the bird event - it's near highways 367 . . . and along highway 367 there's nothing but swamp-land - and throughout this area they do extensive milling and routine lumber-jacking - clearing significant portions of the woods year after year - they'll cycle through, let it grow over - and do it again. Just in October they finished clearing out a large area down 367 - a few miles away form the bird incident.

    There's also a stream that runs through the bird-area but it's not connected to any major waterways - it's rather nasty, though . . . but if it was toxic - people would have fallen ill. though it's a swamp land and a disgusting creek - to many it provides all their food in the form of crawdads and swampligs and wahtever else they call things that live in the mud.

    From what I've heard, however, they suspect that the birds were roosting (at night) - and when the fireworks started in their area they were startled, fled - and collided with eachother. I don't know how spot on that is - but it sounds quite unpleasant.

    These birds aren't around, however, during the summer.

    I don't know about the fish in the river - the only point to note is that they died near a damn. Perhaps toxins entered - collected on the bottom - and were not washed down current.
    Usually that's what kills fish - I've heard other stories from different states where that's happened. . . I imagine it's the same situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedminator View Post
    I wonder why god hates Arkansas
    LOL - if you lived here you'd probably hate it too.
    I've never been thrilled with it - when I first moved to Arkansas (I was 13) the big debate in the news was when they were ending statewide safety inspections for autos. . .no one's very concerned about preserving nature and keeping things cleaned up.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 01-04-11 at 06:19 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #13
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Actually - right in this area (again - I'm right near where the birds died) - there's a few farms - mostly cattle type ranches, not so much agriculture - it's too swampy for that. And there's forestry (lumber) services - lots of it. If you were to look at a map and find the location of the bird event - it's near highways 367 . . . and along highway 367 there's nothing but swamp-land - and throughout this area they do extensive milling and routine lumber-jacking - clearing significant portions of the woods year after year - they'll cycle through, let it grow over - and do it again. Just in October they finished clearing out a large area down 367 - a few miles away form the bird incident.

    There's also a stream that runs through the bird-area but it's not connected to any major waterways - it's rather nasty, though . . . but if it was toxic - people would have fallen ill. though it's a swamp land and a disgusting creek - to many it provides all their food in the form of crawdads and swampligs and wahtever else they call things that live in the mud.

    From what I've heard, however, they suspect that the birds were roosting (at night) - and when the fireworks started in their area they were startled, fled - and collided with eachother. I don't know how spot on that is - but it sounds quite unpleasant.

    These birds aren't around, however, during the summer.

    I don't know about the fish in the river - the only point to note is that they died near a damn. Perhaps toxins entered - collected on the bottom - and were not washed down current.
    Usually that's what kills fish - I've heard other stories from different states where that's happened. . . I imagine it's the same situation.
    i think the bird theory is ridiculous, mainly because we've never heard of that happening before.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #14
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i think the bird theory is ridiculous, mainly because we've never heard of that happening before.
    It's strange - absolutely.
    The only time I've heard of large groups of birds dying is when I watched 'Flashforward'

    I've heard of flocks dying - of course, from illnesses and in large numbers - but not mid-flight like this where they literally fell dead from the air.
    Perhaps the physical signs of injury came from actually falling and landing? Maybe they lost flight - but the impact actually killed them. . . and not all died - some were injured but survived (just not very many).

    I guarantee some people are paranoid as hell right now - pitching salt and sprinkling some dust.

    LOL - I went reading for more theories - found this line, such a gem.
    Regardless of how they died, the birds will not be missed. Large blackbird roosts like one at Beebe can have thousands of birds that leave ankle-deep piles of droppings in places.
    I will miss this one flock, though - they'd always fly over the house. It would take 30 minutes for them to pass overhead. The kids liked to sit on the porch and watch them. But I'm sure another flock will quickly fill the void.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 01-04-11 at 06:39 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #15
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    there are more dead birds now. NOT killed by fireworks. this is very weird.
    Ah yes - here's this article: 500 dead in Louisianna.

    500 More Blackbirds Die, Deepening Mystery - Fox News Latino
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #16
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Ah yes - here's this article: 500 dead in Louisianna.

    500 More Blackbirds Die, Deepening Mystery - Fox News Latino
    I was just getting ready to post that.

    I think the blunt trauma that's being talked about is from crashing to the ground.

    I found that mills do use toxins but doubtful that has anything to do with it now.

    Welcome to the Ecological Rights Foundation Site
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #17
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

    If it was summer I'd say it was the heat. I saw birds by the dozens fall dead from the sky in Iraq.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #18
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    If it was summer I'd say it was the heat. I saw birds by the dozens fall dead from the sky in Iraq.
    Really? Crazy - but heat would make sense. Flying for long distances without water is bound to bring the biggest down.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #19
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Really? Crazy - but heat would make sense. Flying for long distances without water is bound to bring the biggest down.
    we would see birds flying along and then suddenly they'd just stop flapping their wings and crash to the ground. happened a few times in El Paso as well.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #20
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Dead fish now cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    we would see birds flying along and then suddenly they'd just stop flapping their wings and crash to the ground. happened a few times in El Paso as well.
    Wild.

    I've found birds dead on the ground- afew here and there - but I've never seen one die like that.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •