Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 181

Thread: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

  1. #71
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Nope, I don't think so. The reactions and hormonal shift I feel while looking at attractive woman has always seemed natural and instinctive. And considering that there's billions of people and everyone agrees that the human race has been around for quite a while, I'd say I'm part of a vast majority.
    So if your orientation is not a choice, why do you claim that gays oritentation is?

    Also, I'm sure homosexuality is a result of something, but I doubt very much it's a result of genetics.
    That is something we call a guess. It is worthless.

    And if it's not a result of genetics, then homosexuals are not born that way,
    False. Prenatal care can effect children as one example.

    and they cannot be appropriately compared to race or ethnicity.
    Sure they can. They are treated as different for something beyond their control. See, you can in fact compare them to a race or ethnicity with 100 % accuracy.

    And therefore, while one can be called narrow-minded or a religious snob or hateful if one loathes homosexuals, it's not accurate to call me a bigot and compare me to a racist, since homosexuality is not a genetic trait like race. That is really my peeve about this whole argument, to be honest.
    Mirrian Webster and their dictionary disagree with you: Bigot - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    It's like saying, "Oh, you loathe muslims? You bigot!" That is a false argument because islam is not a race, it's a religion, a chosen ideaology. People are born Jewish or Sunni or Romanian, they aren't born muslim. Or if you say now that Christians like me are hateful horrible people you loathe. I can say you hate Christians, but if I say you're a bigot, it's just idiotic, in my opinion.

    Please see Wesbters dictionary.

    Bigot - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    Your definition that you provide says you are entirely and 100 % wrong.

    Now I know what someone is going to say, that in today's usage it also extends to religious beliefs or homosexuality, but if you go by that definition, then I can also call you a bigot if you hate Nazis. So let's not go there, and let is remain with the true definition of the word.

    Bigotry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    LoLz
    Last edited by Redress; 12-31-10 at 02:48 PM.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #72
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,813

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post



    Your definition that you provide says you are entirely and 100 % wrong.



    LoLz
    yeah i didnt get that either, by Websters he is definitely wrong. weird
    he still hasn't told anybody what rights he loses or responded to my post about rights, "real Christianity" and the constitution
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #73
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,994

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    With the whole "bigot" thing, what we're coming down to and what we need to realize is we're at that threshold where a particular thing that has long been considered deviant/weird/non-supported is finally at that near equilibrium point where in common every day practice the notion is changing from its old status to "acceptable" or even "positive".

    Frankly, I'd say that about 70-80% of the people hold honest and reasonable views with regards to it based on their morals, ethics, and principles and not based off either extreme true bigotry, extreme guilt, or selfish individually focused interest.

    Look, lets top pretending that somehow its "bigoted" to view certain things negatively. While yes, I fully believe personally that homosexuality can be a natural occurrence (I also do think it can be environmental), the need to be "Flaming" or "In your face, out and proud" is no more a biological impartitive then being goth, being geeky, being a bully, being a scientologist, being a sleezy guy, being fat, looking "punk", living an open S&M lifestyle, etc. When's the last time you seen someone making fun of Tom Cruise for being a scientologist a bigot? How about someone piking on Goth kids? How quickly do people roll eyes when someone gets on a high horse talking about bigotry towards fat people?

    What is "normal", "acceptable", "Okay", etc is essentially a social construct. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no universal "acceptable" or even unacceptable. Its a construct of society. And as such, society right now is reaching that point where there's enough that view the issue on both sides that conflict is occuring at its peak level. Over the next few years inevitably its going to start coming down the other side and it will begin to be looked at more and more universally as acceptable and then even normal. However, its not there and its not been close to that, and I don't think people simply holding on to traditional cultural views and principles because of their entire lifes teaching and environmental experience equals automatically a "bigot". I think its ridiculous hypocritical the VAST majority of times people throw it out there because I guarantee that almost every person that has thrown it out there has been entirely and completely "bigoted" and negative towards something they view as odd, not normal, weird, deviant, etc before...it just happens that society as a whole is still okay with them acting that way towards that attitude, action, style, what have you.

  4. #74
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,298
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    With the whole "bigot" thing, what we're coming down to and what we need to realize is we're at that threshold where a particular thing that has long been considered deviant/weird/non-supported is finally at that near equilibrium point where in common every day practice the notion is changing from its old status to "acceptable" or even "positive".

    Frankly, I'd say that about 70-80% of the people hold honest and reasonable views with regards to it based on their morals, ethics, and principles and not based off either extreme true bigotry, extreme guilt, or selfish individually focused interest.

    Look, lets top pretending that somehow its "bigoted" to view certain things negatively. While yes, I fully believe personally that homosexuality can be a natural occurrence (I also do think it can be environmental), the need to be "Flaming" or "In your face, out and proud" is no more a biological impartitive then being goth, being geeky, being a bully, being a scientologist, being a sleezy guy, being fat, looking "punk", living an open S&M lifestyle, etc. When's the last time you seen someone making fun of Tom Cruise for being a scientologist a bigot? How about someone piking on Goth kids? How quickly do people roll eyes when someone gets on a high horse talking about bigotry towards fat people?

    What is "normal", "acceptable", "Okay", etc is essentially a social construct. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no universal "acceptable" or even unacceptable. Its a construct of society. And as such, society right now is reaching that point where there's enough that view the issue on both sides that conflict is occuring at its peak level. Over the next few years inevitably its going to start coming down the other side and it will begin to be looked at more and more universally as acceptable and then even normal. However, its not there and its not been close to that, and I don't think people simply holding on to traditional cultural views and principles because of their entire lifes teaching and environmental experience equals automatically a "bigot". I think its ridiculous hypocritical the VAST majority of times people throw it out there because I guarantee that almost every person that has thrown it out there has been entirely and completely "bigoted" and negative towards something they view as odd, not normal, weird, deviant, etc before...it just happens that society as a whole is still okay with them acting that way towards that attitude, action, style, what have you.
    You know Zyphlin, I may not always agree with you.

    But you make far too much ****ing sense it should be a crime

  5. #75
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    That's right, folks. Bigots are no longer welcome in the Republican Party, but that further divides a party already in the midst of a Civil War. Want to know my take on this? There is no place for bigots in the GOP. Let the nutters and birfers have them. If they leave, I believe that the Republican Party will be better off without them, as the moderates are beginning to come home. Big tent, anyone?

    Away from Conservative principles? I call BS on that one. Conservatism is about personal freedom and responsibility, not about the Government having the power to dictate over ANY group. But don't take it from me. Take it from Ronald Reagan who, as he was about to run for President, personally got involved in Florida's Briggs initiative, backed by Anita Bryant, which had overturned an anti discrimination law there. His forceful intervention helped to get rid of the initiative. In the wake of Reagan's intervention, the Log Cabin Republicans were formed, and became part of Reagan's Big Tent.

    Here is a link to the web site of the Log Cabin Republicans.

    May the Republican Party once again be the party of Ronald Reagan and his big tent, and may the bigots, birfers, and other nutters leave and never come back. They are not needed, nor are they wanted. Let them join the Skinheads, the KKK, or the Neo-Nazi party, which is where they belong.

    Article is here.
    Or let them become a democrat senator!

  6. #76
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post

    Away from Conservative principles? I call BS on that one.
    His comment made me lol... WTF.. If the GOP embraces homosexual men and women, then they are against families and against Conservative principles? That sounds so ignorant. How are gay people destroying families?? I want to punch these people in the face.

  7. #77
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, I always wondered how:

    "Small government!"

    became

    "Small government!*

    *except for homos. government should interfere there."
    I think it's Christian government... I have been told that they have claim to this country and are doing what the founders want

  8. #78
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,138
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    The article that started this thread said, "two socially conservative groups, the Family Research Council and Concerned Women of America, announced that they are opting out of next year's CPAC because GOProud had been invited." While all that may be true, there is one detail not mentioned in that line, that's very important in understanding the basis for their decision.

    Sure, both those groups are conservative in nature and support the political right in America, but their political beliefs had nothing to do with their decision to drop out of next years CPAC conference. The truth is, their decision wasn't based on a political doctrine, but rather on a religious one. Both of those groups main purpose and function, centers around faith and religion, as their websites make clear.

    Concerned Women for America (CWA) on their website says their purpose is "helping our members across the country bring Biblical principles into all levels of public policy" While the Family Research Council (FRC) provides "advanced faith, family and freedom in public policy and public opinion" and also states that "through our outreach to pastors, we equip churches to transform the culture."

    So even though both of those groups are conservative, their decision to boycott CPAC was derived from religious convictions, not political beliefs. Something that I'm sure will be left unsaid by a large majority of the American media, and the total majority of liberal bloggers and pundits.

  9. #79
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    The article that started this thread said, "two socially conservative groups, the Family Research Council and Concerned Women of America, announced that they are opting out of next year's CPAC because GOProud had been invited." While all that may be true, there is one detail not mentioned in that line, that's very important in understanding the basis for their decision.

    Sure, both those groups are conservative in nature and support the political right in America, but their political beliefs had nothing to do with their decision to drop out of next years CPAC conference. The truth is, their decision wasn't based on a political doctrine, but rather on a religious one. Both of those groups main purpose and function, centers around faith and religion, as their websites make clear.

    Concerned Women for America (CWA) on their website says their purpose is "helping our members across the country bring Biblical principles into all levels of public policy" While the Family Research Council (FRC) provides "advanced faith, family and freedom in public policy and public opinion" and also states that "through our outreach to pastors, we equip churches to transform the culture."

    So even though both of those groups are conservative, their decision to boycott CPAC was derived from religious convictions, not political beliefs. Something that I'm sure will be left unsaid by a large majority of the American media, and the total majority of liberal bloggers and pundits.
    Really? It's all the liberal media's fault now? And it's just religious grounds? Even though FRC stated "However, we will no longer be involved with CPAC because of the organization's financial mismanagement and movement away from conservative principles"?(source: warning, WorldNutDaily link: Biggest conservative names bidding goodbye to CPAC) Sounds like their reason was political to me, by their own words made to a conservative media outlet.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    With the whole "bigot" thing, what we're coming down to and what we need to realize is we're at that threshold where a particular thing that has long been considered deviant/weird/non-supported is finally at that near equilibrium point where in common every day practice the notion is changing from its old status to "acceptable" or even "positive".

    Frankly, I'd say that about 70-80% of the people hold honest and reasonable views with regards to it based on their morals, ethics, and principles and not based off either extreme true bigotry, extreme guilt, or selfish individually focused interest.

    Look, lets top pretending that somehow its "bigoted" to view certain things negatively. While yes, I fully believe personally that homosexuality can be a natural occurrence (I also do think it can be environmental), the need to be "Flaming" or "In your face, out and proud" is no more a biological impartitive then being goth, being geeky, being a bully, being a scientologist, being a sleezy guy, being fat, looking "punk", living an open S&M lifestyle, etc. When's the last time you seen someone making fun of Tom Cruise for being a scientologist a bigot? How about someone piking on Goth kids? How quickly do people roll eyes when someone gets on a high horse talking about bigotry towards fat people?

    What is "normal", "acceptable", "Okay", etc is essentially a social construct. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no universal "acceptable" or even unacceptable. Its a construct of society. And as such, society right now is reaching that point where there's enough that view the issue on both sides that conflict is occuring at its peak level. Over the next few years inevitably its going to start coming down the other side and it will begin to be looked at more and more universally as acceptable and then even normal. However, its not there and its not been close to that, and I don't think people simply holding on to traditional cultural views and principles because of their entire lifes teaching and environmental experience equals automatically a "bigot". I think its ridiculous hypocritical the VAST majority of times people throw it out there because I guarantee that almost every person that has thrown it out there has been entirely and completely "bigoted" and negative towards something they view as odd, not normal, weird, deviant, etc before...it just happens that society as a whole is still okay with them acting that way towards that attitude, action, style, what have you.
    People aren't called bigoted because they disapprove of homosexuality. They are called bigoted because they support laws restricting gays from obtaining the same benefits, rights and privileges he rest of us have. Your post is nothing but one long excuse for supporting clearly anti-gay policies. Call me whenever they decide to make a law barring fat people and Tom Cruise from visiting their partners at hospitals.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-31-10 at 08:15 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •