Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 181

Thread: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

  1. #151
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Republican disdain for groups like GOProud is one of the reasons I dislike the Republican Party.
    And the democratic party disdain for pro-life peoples is one of the reasons I dislike the democratic party.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  2. #152
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    And the democratic party disdain for pro-life peoples is one of the reasons I dislike the democratic party.
    interesting observation

    on nov 1, there were 39 pro life dems in congress

    today, there are 17

    Pro-life Democrat voting stats on healthcare bill by Jill Stanek

    pro life dems are practically extinct, they were suckerpunched by stupak

    plaudits for goproud
    Last edited by The Prof; 01-01-11 at 04:52 PM.

  3. #153
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    And the democratic party disdain for pro-life peoples is one of the reasons I dislike the democratic party.
    I'm not as "pro-life" as most republicans but I certainly see abortion as an area where government intervention is warranted. Personally, I think abortion should be illegal after 30 days but that’s another topic altogether.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  4. #154
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    interesting observation

    on nov 1, there were 39 pro life dems in congress

    today, there are 17

    Pro-life Democrat voting stats on healthcare bill by Jill Stanek

    pro life dems are practically extinct, they were suckerpunched by stupak

    plaudits for goproud
    Well, in all fairness I feel both parties are "winnowing out" the ideologically impure. If I'm not mistaken the republican party has probably lost some of it's pro-choice advocates. I feel we're seeing a hardening of positions by both parties.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  5. #155
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I'm not as "pro-life" as most republicans but I certainly see abortion as an area where government intervention is warranted. Personally, I think abortion should be illegal after 30 days but that’s another topic altogether.

    I'm not sure just how pro-life most republicans are. I'm of the opinion that there is a great deal of variation in this subject. I'm all for abortion for rape, incest, or the health of the mother. That accounts for something like 1% of all our abortions.

    I think our 50 million dead is a sad, sad, commentary on our society. No society can simply kill off so many of it's young without serious consequences. Teachers are trained to view children as resources. We've been far too wasteful. I fear all we've managed to do is damn ourselves.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  6. #156
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I feel we're seeing a hardening of positions by both parties.
    tea drinkers generally stay away from abortion, they seem to have more immediate priorities on their minds right now

    social issues are still there, but emphasis appears elsewhere

    for example, 8 red senators went with reid on dadt---burr of north carolina, kirk of illinois, brown of massachusetts, ensign of nevada, voinovich of ohio, murkowski, collins and snowe

    the parties are evolving, consequence of and reaction to obama/pelosi economic extremism

    plaudits for goproud
    Last edited by The Prof; 01-01-11 at 06:04 PM.

  7. #157
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I'm not sure just how pro-life most republicans are. I'm of the opinion that there is a great deal of variation in this subject. I'm all for abortion for rape, incest, or the health of the mother. That accounts for something like 1% of all our abortions.

    I think our 50 million dead is a sad, sad, commentary on our society. No society can simply kill off so many of it's young without serious consequences. Teachers are trained to view children as resources. We've been far too wasteful. I fear all we've managed to do is damn ourselves.
    I can’t say I really disagree with this position. I will add however that I think the only way this issue will ever become less contentious is if both sides agree on a reasonable time frame for when abortions are no longer allowed.

    I think the republican party takes too much of an “all or nothing” approach to issues like this. Wouldn’t it be better to save some of the children that are currently being aborted by proposing a reasonable deadline like 30 days?

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  8. #158
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I can’t say I really disagree with this position. I will add however that I think the only way this issue will ever become less contentious is if both sides agree on a reasonable time frame for when abortions are no longer allowed.

    I think the republican party takes too much of an “all or nothing” approach to issues like this. Wouldn’t it be better to save some of the children that are currently being aborted by proposing a reasonable deadline like 30 days?
    I'm for anything that would save the lives of our children. However, I don't see compromise as something we can look forward to. The animosity between what I deem to be a liberal humanistic culture and mine is growing, not diminishing.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  9. #159
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Ok, just what did good ol' ronnie call it?
    Reagan had his own phrase for gays - American citizens.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #160
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Gay Republican Group Prompts Split Among Conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    tea drinkers generally stay away from abortion, they seem to have more immediate priorities on their minds right now

    social issues are still there, but emphasis appears elsewherefor example, 8 red senators went with reid on dadt---burr of north carolina, kirk of illinois, brown of massachusetts, ensign of nevada, voinovich of ohio, murkowski, collins and snowe

    the parties are evolving, consequence of and reaction to obama/pelosi economic extremism

    plaudits for goproud
    Yes and no. You are correct in suggesting the tea partiers are concerned with issues of economics but they are also concerned with teh proper role of the federal government. Others believe the republican party should continue to press the social issues so dear to so many of us at a national level.

    I'm of the opinion we should at least attempt to de-nationalize the social issues. I see no reason why the national government or even the supreme court for that matter should be involved in issues such as abortion and gay marriage. I see this as more of an issue that should be left up to the states and their peoples to decide by democratic means. If the peoples of the northeast and west coast want gay marriage and abortion let them have it. Just give the rest of us the same consideration.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •