Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 113

Thread: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

  1. #41
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    That was such a big fat lie, even some liberals were disgusted by it., and he got his butt kicked in the election.
    Pretty much all of us were disgusted. Even that HORRIBLE LIBERAL MAINSTREAM MEDIA hammered him on it.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Mandates are still not a takeover, which is where that whole lie part comes in.

    Maybe possible future takeover is a guess, not a takeover. With the largest Democratic majority in a long time, we couldn't even get a public option, much less single-payer. You're paranoid.
    Paranoid? LOL, yep, I am paranoid that liberal social engineering never stops or goes away, but I am supported by history. Name for me JUST ONE liberal social program that cost what it was supposed to cost, that does what it was supposed to do, solved a problem, and went away? Why would I be paranoid? Liberals get their foot in the door, create dependence, and grow their power. What are the American people going to do that lost their healthcare or doctor because they were dropped? I hope you aren't this naive.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Pretty much all of us were disgusted. Even that HORRIBLE LIBERAL MAINSTREAM MEDIA hammered him on it.
    Why wasn't that classified as the biggest lie?

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Do you know how much the India trip cost? Those so called falsehoods have never been addressed or refuted with hard facts. Still waiting for them.
    True, but since Presidents long before Obama have taken trips overseas at taxpayers expense and such trips are added to their schedule well in advance, I see this as a non-issue.

    As for the healthcare program no one knows what is going to happen four years from now so we don't know if there will be death panels although rationing is already being proposed in some areas and being discussed. My point is the Palin comments aren't a proven lie because the program hasn't gone into effect.
    Yet, her "death panel" montra was picked up by the Republican/Conservative base and they ran with it. As the saying goes, "Tell a lie often enough eventually it becomes the truth."

    What is missing here again is the difference between debt and deficit.

    TARP was passed and signed in October 2008. Bush spent 350 billion of it and left 350 billion to Obama. Most of TARP has been repaid and should have gone against the 2009 deficit but didn't. So if TARP was repaid how can Bush be responsible for the deficit caused by TARP which was actually the 350 billion he spent? Bush had nothing to do with the GM/Chrysler takeover or the 842 billion stimulus both of which added to the 2009 deficit. The point is there is no way that Obama could have inherited a 1.3 trillion dollar deficit for four months of fiscal year 2009 but that message resonated with the left.
    But here's where you're wrong on two counts and I've addressed the issue of TARP with you before and corrected you on it.

    The auto bailout was made part of TARP by former Pres. GW Bush in December 2008. He asked Congress to deal with the matter, they refused. So, he included them himself.

    On December 19, 2008, President Bush used his executive authority to declare that TARP funds may be spent on any program that Secretary of Treasury, Henry Paulson,[18] deems necessary to avert the financial crisis. This has allowed President Bush to extend the use of TARP funds to support the auto industry, a move supported by the United Auto Workers.
    As to TARP itself, while it is true that at least half of the funds were allocated before Bush left office and he did leave the rest (bank bailout and auto bailout measures) to Pres. Obama to manage, approval for TARP and most of the spending thereof did occur before Obama took office. As such, TARP did add to the FY2009 budget deficit. Therefore, Pres. Obama did, in fact, inherit a deficit at or in excess of $1 trillion regardless of whether or not any TARP funds were repaid in FY2009.

    *Note: TARP was $700 billion, not $800; my error.

    I don't buy the statement that the Republicans told the biggest whoppers of 2010 not with this Administration and Pelosi/Reid in charge of Congress. Polifact is presenting a leftwing spin that leftwingers buy. IMO Obama and the Democrat Congresses had the biggest lies of 2010 and the electorate agreed with me.
    As I said, "...it really depends on which side of the partisan divide you're on."

    "Nuff Said...

  5. #45
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

    Objective Voice;1059165798]True, but since Presidents long before Obama have taken trips overseas at taxpayers expense and such trips are added to their schedule well in advance, I see this as a non-issue.
    During very difficult economic times and right after an election he takes off to India? Yes, every President has taken trips but what he does just lacks common sense and it is the perception that is bad.

    Yet, her "death panel" montra was picked up by the Republican/Conservative base and they ran with it. As the saying goes, "Tell a lie often enough eventually it becomes the truth."
    How do you know it is a lie? Has the program been implemented yet? What does rationing mean to you?

    But here's where you're wrong on two counts and I've addressed the issue of TARP with you before and corrected you on it.

    The auto bailout was made part of TARP by former Pres. GW Bush in December 2008. He asked Congress to deal with the matter, they refused. So, he included them himself.



    As to TARP itself, while it is true that at least half of the funds were allocated before Bush left office and he did leave the rest (bank bailout and auto bailout measures) to Pres. Obama to manage, approval for TARP and most of the spending thereof did occur before Obama took office. As such, TARP did add to the FY2009 budget deficit. Therefore, Pres. Obama did, in fact, inherit a deficit at or in excess of $1 trillion regardless of whether or not any TARP funds were repaid in FY2009.

    *Note: TARP was $700 billion, not $800; my error.
    Again, you are ignoring the facts, TARP was 700 billion and Bush spent 350 billion of it leaving 350 billion for Obama. It doesn't matter what it was spent on because most of it has been repaid. Where did the repayment go? Yes, any TARP payments should have gone against the deficit but the repayments should have reduced that deficit. Again, where did the repayment go? Not that difficult of a question. Think? As for the deficit how could Bush cause a 1.3 trillion dollar deficit by spending 350 billion dollars?

  6. #46
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    During very difficult economic times and right after an election he takes off to India? Yes, every President has taken trips but what he does just lacks common sense and it is the perception that is bad.
    Yes, we sure wouldn't want him promoting US trade and security in these trying economic times with a war going on not far from there...

    The only people who perceive this badly are people who perceive everything he does badly.

    How do you know it is a lie? Has the program been implemented yet? What does rationing mean to you?
    Because of what is in and not in the bill.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #47
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    At first I thought that PolitiFact was a mostly non-biased site that maybe tilted a tiny bit towards the left, but it's harder to believe that every time I see them.

    Okay, forget that they chose two right-wing "lies" in a row for two years (as is the 2nd place lie this year). Seriously? "Government take-over" is the biggest lie they could find? That's a huge stretch of the truth at worst, and a valid political position at best. Who's to judge what does, and doesn't, constitute a "takeover"? It's pretty clear that the law calls for a huge and unprecedented increase in the government's power when it comes to health care. More importantly though, who's to say what the actual effects of the bill are that aren't just written on paper? It could very well lead to what's basically a government takeover of the industry - Obama himself has all but admitted such. Hell, even Politifact labeled an entry using the exact same wording as merely "false", rather than "pants on fire"; to call it the "lie of the year" thus makes no sense at all.
    politifact is basically a left-centrist blog masquerading as a non-partisan fact-check site. some of the twists they will go through to defend Obama or attack Conservative spokespersons would be impressive if they weren't sad.





    as for "lies of the year", though, i think "you can keep your health insurance" certainly rates honorable mention.

  8. #48
    Advisor WeAreReborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    09-09-11 @ 08:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    504

    Re: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    as for "lies of the year", though, i think "you can keep your health insurance" certainly rates honorable mention.
    That or the Obamacare is a "Socialist" bill.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Paranoid? LOL, yep, I am paranoid that liberal social engineering never stops or goes away, but I am supported by history. Name for me JUST ONE liberal social program that cost what it was supposed to cost, that does what it was supposed to do, solved a problem, and went away? Why would I be paranoid? Liberals get their foot in the door, create dependence, and grow their power. What are the American people going to do that lost their healthcare or doctor because they were dropped? I hope you aren't this naive.
    When Government screws up the answer to the problem is more Government.
    Lib Think
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  10. #50
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreReborn View Post
    That or the Obamacare is a "Socialist" bill.
    That's no lie. Just like Medicare and Medicaid is socialist. Doesn't mean we need another failure.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •