Page 27 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 733

Thread: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

  1. #261
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The sad truth is that words like FREEDOM and LIBERTY have indeed become bumper sticker cliches used by people just like the both of you and many others here to attempt to advance a radical agenda that would destroy much of our nation and its people. That is sad and pathetic. And it comes from an intellectually dishonest ruse adopted by the right wing to attempt to pretend they are all virgins and the rest of us are whores. It is self serving and terribly fraudulent in the extreme.

    Lets be honest here. All this talk of liberty and society and government is a discussion about the margins. No more and no less. Nobody is advocating for total personal liberty without any societal or governmental power or authority. Nobody is advocating for total governmental control with no personal liberty. to pretend otherwise is to try to fool both yourself and everyone else. Its about the margins.
    if something was part of this country's foundations its difficult for someone to prove it is radical.



  2. #262
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I would guess that you had a point somewhere in your head that you wanted to make with these comments. i have no doubt that it made some kind of sense to you, somehow, someway at least a little bit. Sadly, it did not come across on the screen.

    Are you so oblivious that you do not even recognize when someone is using sarcasm to poke fun at the very pompous image you have crafted for yourself on this message board?
    when I see that crap I see someone oozing envy



  3. #263
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,093

    Re: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    if something was part of this country's foundations its difficult for someone to prove it is radical.
    What the hell does that even mean? The founding of this country was two and a quarter centuries ago when the world was a very different place and that nation no longer exists as it did. To attempt to roll back the clock when it says 2010 to one that says 1776 or 1787 would indeed be one of the most radical moves ever attempted in this country.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #264
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,093

    Re: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    when I see that crap I see someone oozing envy
    Actually what is oozing is your own rather limited communication skills failing to make a coherent point.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #265
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What the hell does that even mean? The founding of this country was two and a quarter centuries ago when the world was a very different place and that nation no longer exists as it did. To attempt to roll back the clock when it says 2010 to one that says 1776 or 1787 would indeed be one of the most radical moves ever attempted in this country.
    I saw someone once say:

    "Its a good thing that the people who created this nation were not so fixated and risk adverse [sic]."

    Why does a threat to the status quo irk you so much?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #266
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I saw someone once say:

    "Its a good thing that the people who created this nation were not so fixated and risk adverse [sic]."

    Why does a threat to the status quo irk you so much?
    in jurisprudence we call it the leftward ratchet.

    here is how it works. a leftwing court comes along and rejects stare decisis and abandons precedent. The New Deal Justices for example. Then the court takes a rightward turn and since they respect precedent they affirm the rules that the left makes-the ratchet has moved leftward. Then the next leftwing court comes along and they turn the wheel farther to the left. Do you know why Bork really scared the left? He said bad precedent deserves no respect and some of the left's most cherished cases-such as Roe v Wade (I am pro choice btw but Roe v wade was a judicial abortion) were incredibly bad opinions.

    people like Haymarket call it PROGRESS when we get saddled with crap like a progressive income tax or affirmative action-two things that completely went against years of tradition, but the minute that excrement is the status quo, he squeals like Ned Beatty in Deliverance about getting rid of it.



  7. #267
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,093

    Re: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

    actually turtle, to correct you yet another time - the Progressive Income Tax was a result of an Amendment to the US Constitution - the 16th to be specific. It did not come from the courts - be they left or right so your mention of it in your screed against court decisions is badly out of place. And remember, it was Republicans who championed it.

    your example of an ideological radical SC doing away with precedent and going their own way is a perfect illustration of the Citizens United decision.

    and turtle, it sounds like that Ned Beatty part really stuck with you over the years. You really do give us far too much personal information.
    Last edited by haymarket; 12-17-10 at 11:00 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #268
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

    Oh, of course. The ratchet effect is well-known. And it has a specific Supreme Court imprimatur when it comes to those individual liberties haymarket thinks are archaic and of a world long past.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #269
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    actually turtle, to correct you yet another time - the Progressive Income Tax was a result of an Amendment to the US Constitution - the 16th to be specific. It did not come from the courts - be they left or right so your mention of it in your screed against court decisions is badly out of place. And remember, it was Republicans who championed it.

    your example of an ideological radical SC doing away with precedent and going their own way is a perfect illustration of the Citizens United decision.

    and turtle, it sounds like that Ned Beatty part really stuck with you over the years. You really do give us far too much personal information.
    gee if I were talking about the income tax specificaly you might have a point. since I was not-you do not (again)



  10. #270
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,093

    Re: CBS News Poll: Most Oppose GOP Tax Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Oh, of course. The ratchet effect is well-known. And it has a specific Supreme Court imprimatur when it comes to those individual liberties haymarket thinks are archaic and of a world long past.
    You do love the strawman. Without one you would be lost completely and utterly.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 27 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •