Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 113

Thread: Nasa to make announcement about possible ET life find on Thursday

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    01-13-11 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    685

    Alien life found on earth

    Now all we have to do is find out if they are sentient and discover a way to communicate with them.


    NASA, who have called a full scale press conference for tomorrow, have tried to keep their findings under wraps, though an accompanying scientific paper has been released to some journalists under embargo.

    Skymania has not seen the paper and so has been free to do some detective work to discover what will be announced. Despite wild speculation on the internet, there is unlikely to be an announcement that extra-terrestrials have been discovered, for the reasons very well put forward by Stuart Atkinson’s Cumbrian Sky.

    But our own investigations suggest that it follows a breakthrough in the discovery of microbes in a lake that get their energy from the usually poisonous arsenic. Experts say this shows they had a completely different origin to any other creature known on our planet. It means that life began not just once but at least twice on Earth.

    A key scientist on NASA’s panel will be Dr Felisa Wolfe-Simon who has spent two years investigating Mono Lake, close to California’s Yosemite National Park. The lake has no outlet and has, over many millenia, built up one of the highest natural concentrations of arsenic on Earth.

    Read More: Alien life form ‘is here on Earth’ | Skymania News and Guide

  2. #102
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Nasa to make announcement about possible ET life find on Thursday

    Moderator's Warning:
    Nasa to make announcement about possible ET  life find on ThursdayMerged another thread into this one.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #103
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alien life found on earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    Now all we have to do is find out if they are sentient and discover a way to communicate with them.
    And then kill them.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  4. #104
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: NASA to announce "major discovery" that could boost chances of life on other worl

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Arsenic is an element - not a chemical compound - this adds to the list of potential elements that can be core constituents of organic molecules (in this case DNA) - it does not say that certain compounds made of elements that are already known to be common to life can be tolerated, it adds a new element to the list of what to look for for life itself.
    Actually, it's precisely the opposite of this.

    Arsenic and phosphorus are extremely similar. That is why arsenic is poisonous, because it takes the place of phosphorus in the body. What we have here is a form of life that has undoubtedly evolved from a typical, phosphorus based life-form while exposed to the arsenic-rich environment of Mono Lake.

    This is not evidence of a second instance of abiogensis. This is a life form that evolved from the same instance of abiogenesis as every other organism on earth did. It's not even evidence that a second instance of abiogenesis is even possible.

    All I see here is a castrated NASA trying to get attention by making a biological discovery into an "astro" biological discovery. It's absurd.

    I mean, it's fun to dream about aliens, but please don't pretend it's science.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 12-02-10 at 08:44 PM.

  5. #105
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: NASA to announce "major discovery" that could boost chances of life on other worl

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Actually, it's precisely the opposite of this.

    Arsenic and phosphorus are extremely similar. That is why arsenic is poisonous, because it takes the place of phosphorus in the body. What we have here is a form of life that has undoubtedly evolved from a typical, phosphorus based life-form while exposed to the arsenic-rich environment of Mono Lake.

    This is not evidence of a second instance of abiogensis. This is a life form that evolved from the same instance of abiogenesis as every other organism on earth did. It's not even evidence that a second instance of abiogenesis is even possible.

    All I see here is a castrated NASA trying to get attention by making a biological discovery into an "astro" biological discovery. It's absurd.

    I mean, it's fun to dream about aliens, but please don't pretend it's science.
    Do you want a chance to reread what I said so you can pay attention to the specific wording of it (hint: compound versus element), and also look at what I was specifically replying to?

    While you are at it, do you want a chance to reread the thread paying specific attention to what I have already posted?
    Last edited by marduc; 12-02-10 at 09:09 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  6. #106
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Nasa to make announcement about possible ET life find on Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by CompSciGuy View Post
    Maybe you should actually learn what "hard science" means before saying you're in favor of it. Anyway, a pretty huge discovery and well worth the "hype" for those that actually understand such things. The importance for NASA is pretty obvious and well explained as to why they would be involved in this kind of research. No need to get into the obvious, I think.
    Who are you referring to? If you're referring to me you're wrong. I find this fascinating and I have a science degree also. One of my businesses uses a lot of science to make money. I have to know a lot about bacteria, dieseases, animal husbandry etc.

  7. #107
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,686
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Nasa to make announcement about possible ET life find on Thursday

    I think this is way way way over blown. Life adapted to arsenic? Big whoop. Life has adapted to extreme cold, pressure, heat, and a whole host of conditions. So life found a way in an arsenic filled lake...big whoop. It means nothing other than bacteria adapted.

    Did you know that microbial fungi can grow in jet fuel? Same principle. They adapted.

    Oh, and this has nothing...absolutely nothing...to do with alien life. It was here on Earth, it originated here on Earth, it has nothing to do with anything outside of our atmosphere. Just over hyped non sense by an increasingly useless government agency.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  8. #108
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Nasa to make announcement about possible ET life find on Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    I think this is way way way over blown. Life adapted to arsenic? Big whoop. Life has adapted to extreme cold, pressure, heat, and a whole host of conditions. So life found a way in an arsenic filled lake...big whoop. It means nothing other than bacteria adapted.

    Did you know that microbial fungi can grow in jet fuel? Same principle. They adapted.

    Oh, and this has nothing...absolutely nothing...to do with alien life. It was here on Earth, it originated here on Earth, it has nothing to do with anything outside of our atmosphere. Just over hyped non sense by an increasingly useless government agency.
    It goes beyond a simple adaption though, it involves a brand new element that can be a component of the DNA of viable replicating organisms, this is unheard of. This does have huge implications by showing that the necessary elements that may support life outside of our own planet is greater (and potentially much greater), and more flexible than previously thought.

    Was it over hyped? yes - but it got serious hype above and beyond NASAs announcement, and the findings are true to what their release stated

    Is this insignificant? absolutely not. This is very significant, just not as mind bogglingly significant as many speculated.
    Last edited by marduc; 12-04-10 at 01:02 AM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  9. #109
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    12-05-10 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6

    Re: Nasa to make announcement about possible ET life find on Thursday

    Lets face the facts:

    If there was or is alien lifeform on Mars, why have they not attempted to interfere with the human race millions of years ago ? It is not like Mars was created yestarday. If they really exist, they cant have just been born now. By the time major space equipment ( All the expensive stuff ) we would've atleast seen them.

    The only time when we will get near finding proper, outer space lifeforms is when we create a method to travel much faster in space.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Nasa to make announcement about possible ET life find on Thursday

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGlues View Post
    Lets face the facts:

    If there was or is alien lifeform on Mars, why have they not attempted to interfere with the human race millions of years ago ? It is not like Mars was created yestarday. If they really exist, they cant have just been born now. By the time major space equipment ( All the expensive stuff ) we would've atleast seen them.

    The only time when we will get near finding proper, outer space lifeforms is when we create a method to travel much faster in space.
    That may be beyond the capabalities of single celled organisms.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •