Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 67

Thread: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,531

    Re: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So in the examples YOU GAVE and in the response that I gave

    what exactly is factually wrong?
    The very first thing you say, that the term "party" is being used "improperly", is factually incorrect. That is nothing but your opinion that its being used improperly, and a poor opinion at that. A party can be a group of persons with common purposes or opinions who support one side of a debate, dispute, issue, etc. A party can be a group gathered for a special purpose or task. And yes, a party can even be a group of persons with common political opinions and purposes organized for gaining political influence or control WITHOUT the need for it to be recognized officially as a "political party" in the legal sense.

    All of those definitions could easily apply to the Tea Party movement, so stating that it is using the term "improperly" is not Factually correct.

    You show me an example from the modern American political world where there is a usage for something called a "Party" with a proper name in front of it that is not a regular political party like the Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians or anyone else that runs candidates in elections and is on the ballot.
    Simply because something has not done it before in the modern time doesn't mean it can't be done or is improper to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

  2. #42
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,126

    Re: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    What's Obama done that's unconstitutional?
    He signed off on a bill, that authrorizes a private army, that answers only to the president; and that forces American citizens to purchase a product, or face penalties. Those things are unconstitutional.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96,154

    Re: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

    A party can be a group of persons with common purposes or opinions who support one side of a debate, dispute, issue, etc.
    but that is NOT the usage when you say Tea Party.

    I asked you this

    You show me an example from the modern American political world where there is a usage for something called a "Party" with a proper name in front of it that is not a regular political party like the Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians or anyone else that runs candidates in elections and is on the ballot.
    here is your reply

    Simply because something has not done it before in the modern time doesn't mean it can't be done or is improper to do.
    Has it occurred to you that it has not been done because it is improper and the fact that it has not been done is evidence that other know it and accept it as improper rule or no rule?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #44
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket
    You show me an example from the modern American political world where there is a usage for something called a "Party" with a proper name in front of it that is not a regular political party like the Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians or anyone else that runs candidates in elections and is on the ballot.

    Boston Tea Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,531

    Re: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    but that is NOT the usage when you say Tea Party.
    Actually that's exactly the usage. Its a group of people who share common views and ideas regarding politics and are loosely organized to push said views.

    Has it occurred to you that it has not been done because it is improper and the fact that it has not been done is evidence that other know it and accept it as improper rule or no rule?
    Fallacy again. Simply because something has not been done does not prove that its improper to be done. Correlation does not mean causation. The fact that a group hasn't gained notice on a national level that has used "party" as a means of describing itself does not somehow prove its improper or wrong to use it, it just simply means it hasn't been used.

    Much like your talk with the Boston Tea Party, the use of "party" in the Tea Party monicor is there for imagery and allagory, in their case to the "tea parties" of the british women and in the current tea party movements case to the Boston Tea Party itself.

    Since "party" is already an accepted and defined way of referencing a large group of people there was no real reason to give it a secondary continual designation as it already has one.

    Your arguing your opinion, that you FEEL that it should be improper because you don't like it and its not commonly used. I'm arguing fact, by pointing out an actual definition that clearly fits.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    which would be redundant.





    .
    No it would only be redundant if it was called simply Tea. If they ever did want to be an official party and be on the ballot as such, they would be the Tea Party Party.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96,154

    Re: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

    We agree then to disagree.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #48
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    We agree then to disagree.


    No, it means you once again, are wrong.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96,154

    Re: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    No it would only be redundant if it was called simply Tea. If they ever did want to be an official party and be on the ballot as such, they would be the Tea Party Party.
    Only if their activities are intended to parody upper crust females with upturned pinkies and water cress sandwiches.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96,154

    Re: Poll: Tea Party GOP, Obama nearly tied for leader of choice

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    No, it means you once again, are wrong.
    Coming for you rev, I take that as a sign I am unmistakably correct. You are a perfect reverse barometer.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •