Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 137

Thread: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

  1. #121
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    BUYING a house is overrated anyway. . . especially when you consider that most homes are never paid off. Gee: massive debt! What a dream (more like a nightmare).

    I would, right now, prefer I didn't have my own home - an apartment or condo with a reasonable rate would be fabulous.The perks: maintenance isn't up *to you* - if you have a busy life it's perfect.
    I was under the impression maintenance has to be paid for extra as in grass cutting etc. At least that's the way it is at my parent's condo in Florida.
    Last edited by EnigmaO01; 12-01-10 at 11:31 PM.

  2. #122
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The "American Dream" is a house with a white picket fence and a two-car garage, two kids, and a quiet little neighborhood. It's just an age-old, Norman Rockwell-like expression. It's still there to be had.

    Now we have massive divorce rates, complete absentee parenting, women having four kids with four different dudes, Bob and Jim trying to get hitched at First Baptist United and adopt little Billy, and all hopefully in the haze of legalized drugs.

    Yep, the American Dream is different for different people.
    Not into hyperbole are you?

    You right wingers are all the same. Everybody's out for handouts and is morally corrupt except you.

  3. #123
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    True enough...but going back to the OP and Suze's comments (I actually like her BTW...she's a good speaker and very personable 'in person') I still believe the basics are VERY attainable.

    Look...its just a matter of application and hard work. it doesnt happen overnight, but then...it never has. I guarantee you...we can take ANYONE with basic skills and an average IQ (and I mean ANYONE regardless of their current circumstances) and if they are willing to put in the work create for them a plan that in 4-5 years has them in a career that they like with benefits, retirment, and earning a livable wage.
    Yep and expecially since the economy is going gangbusters!

    Too bad I know several people that did all the right things like education, with impressive resumes and job experience and can't get a job to safe their life right now. Not into generalizations much are you?

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

    Any way you look at it, and whatever is done to try and fix this country, there is one inescapable conclusion. The standard of living for most Americans is going to deteriorate. Our children will be worse off than we are, and their children will be worse off than our children are.

  5. #125
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Any way you look at it, and whatever is done to try and fix this country, there is one inescapable conclusion. The standard of living for most Americans is going to deteriorate. Our children will be worse off than we are, and their children will be worse off than our children are.
    Why do you assume this?

    Why, in this day and age of advancement and knowledge, would the world digress?

    My children will are better off now than I was at their age - but I can't apply our life circumstances to everyone.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #126
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Why do you assume this?

    Why, in this day and age of advancement and knowledge, would the world digress?

    My children will are better off now than I was at their age - but I can't apply our life circumstances to everyone.
    Albert said "standard of living" not education or advancement. There are a lot of educated people and college graduates out of work right now. And as a businessman i can tell things are not what they were 10 or 20 years ago. The same amount of income or business doesn't take me anywhere near today what it did 10 years ago. The crazy part is my prices are over double what they were back then. Fuel and taxes are higher now too.
    Last edited by EnigmaO01; 12-01-10 at 11:56 PM.

  7. #127
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Why do you assume this?

    Why, in this day and age of advancement and knowledge, would the world digress?

    My children will are better off now than I was at their age - but I can't apply our life circumstances to everyone.
    America has been living on its accumulated capital for decades. Now, that cannot be sustained.

    The American Empire had the effect of boosting the living standards of Americans. For example, crude oil is priced in dollars. The dollar has been the world's reserve currency. But now the dollar has been demeaned and devalued. American living standards will follow the decline.

    America's infrastructure and educational system were created by a people who are now gone. Those who succeeded them allowed the country's infrastructure to crumble, and the the public school system to collapse in all but the wealthiest neighborhoods.

    American industrial and white collar jobs have been exported overseas because it no longer makes sense to hire Americans. It costs too much money and they need remedial education.

    America is attempting to maintain an empire that is slowly slipping away.

    China will eclipse America within two generations at most.

    I could go on for hours.

  8. #128
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

    Indeed, yes - standard of living.
    In the last 50 years it might have taken a dive in some ways. But everything?

    We depend on things that didn't even exist 50 years ago - technology improvements are our new 'revolution'

    ( I always think in terms of 'century' - this century, the 18th Century, the 15th Century. I think I default to this century-view now because I'm currently taking two history classes - everything's century-based. - which is where my thought was with that comment - thinking to just a few centuries ago before the Agricultural Revolution even came to the world - compared to now)
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Albert said "standard of living" not education or advancement. There are a lot of educated people and college graduates out of work right now. And as a businessman i can tell things are not what they were 10 or 20 years ago. The same amount of income or business doesn't take me anywhere near today what it did 10 years ago. The crazy part is my prices are over double what they were back then. Fuel and taxes are higher now too.
    There are many Americans who are well educated, but for whom there are no opportunities. The jobs that have been lost are not coming back. The American economy was once ruthlessly efficient, and was able to absorb new graduates at a fantastic pace. But the economy is no longer ruthlessly efficient. Instead the economy has been politicized.

    However, the American reservoir of human capital is subsiding because the public school system can't get rid of bad teachers. The public school system has some brilliant and dedicated teachers, but for everyone like that, there are many killing time while collecting a paycheck. The public school system is designed to provide jobs for adults, not to effectively educate children.

  10. #130
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Suze Orman: 'The American Dream' Is Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    America has been living on its accumulated capital for decades. Now, that cannot be sustained.
    I disagree. America has been living on its ability to continually achieve high levels of productivity via cutting edge breakthroughs in innovation. I do not see this changing anytime soon. China has yet to show the ability to truly innovate on a broad level.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •