Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?

  1. #1
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?



  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    The right gets more ridiculous every day...
    I heard this story about 10 years ago. From what I know of it, it's quite true. Is it not?

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?

    From my research, the "pilgrims" intended originally to hold all things in common as a community, which on this scale is more of a commune or communitarian-type economic setup.... but yes, it is comparable to communism on a small scale.

    The first year they nearly starved.

    The second year they implemented a capitalist system with private property, where you owned your production, and they prospered.

    It's a good illustration of why systems like communism don't work well, and free enterprise does. Incentive.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #4
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    From my research, the "pilgrims" intended originally to hold all things in common as a community, which on this scale is more of a commune or communitarian-type economic setup.... but yes, it is comparable to communism on a small scale.

    The first year they nearly starved.

    The second year they implemented a capitalist system with private property, where you owned your production, and they prospered.

    It's a good illustration of why systems like communism don't work well, and free enterprise does. Incentive.
    According to this Rep the Pilgrims came to America to flee socialism. Guys get your stories straight.

    ThinkProgress » Rep. Todd Akin: The Pilgrims Came To America To Flee ‘Unbiblical’ Socialism In The 1620′s


  5. #5
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    From my research, the "pilgrims" intended originally to hold all things in common as a community, which on this scale is more of a commune or communitarian-type economic setup.... but yes, it is comparable to communism on a small scale.

    The first year they nearly starved.

    The second year they implemented a capitalist system with private property, where you owned your production, and they prospered.

    It's a good illustration of why systems like communism don't work well, and free enterprise does. Incentive.
    That doesn't really make sense, how does an economic system make a difference to how crops grow? Did the fact they worked together take away the incentive to survive? Did their cattle not like the colour red? What specifically about a communal style made them starve?
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  6. #6
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    That doesn't really make sense, how does an economic system make a difference to how crops grow? Did the fact they worked together take away the incentive to survive? Did their cattle not like the colour red? What specifically about a communal style made them starve?
    Native Americans survived for 20,000 years in the Americas by holding all property in common. The reasons the pilgrims almost disappeared was because they had no clue how to grow food in the Americas. They also were not even close to being prepared for the East Coast winter. The assertion that they almost didn't survive because of 'socialism' is quite ridiculous. They wouldn't have survived in 'capitalism' either. The Boers experienced the same thing when they first went to Africa. They couldn't grow food properly because they weren't accustomed to the climate. They didn't have adequate shelter and as a result were subject to all kinds of mosquito diseases. The list goes on regarding just how many things go wrong within the first few years of settlement.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #7
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?

    This is more proof that during warm Holidays, you do not watch the news, because it will attempt to destroy the good natured celebration with heated debate.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #8
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I heard this story about 10 years ago. From what I know of it, it's quite true. Is it not?
    No it is not.... if anything the pilgrims were communists fleeing right wing conservative Europe.. but to claim they were fleeing Europe because of "communism" when the whole idea of socialism did not happen before several centuries AFTER they left, then it only shows how twisted a world the US right is trying to make for it self.
    PeteEU

  9. #9
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    You'll do anything to **** up something, even a holiday, won't you?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Happy Thanksgiving! Right Jabs Pilgrims For ... Communism?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    No it is not.... if anything the pilgrims were communists fleeing right wing conservative Europe.. but to claim they were fleeing Europe because of "communism" when the whole idea of socialism did not happen before several centuries AFTER they left, then it only shows how twisted a world the US right is trying to make for it self.
    I never said pilgrims fled europe to escape socialism. Care to redirect your reply to whoever you think made that argument?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •