Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 403

Thread: Palin's reckless views on obesity

  1. #301
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    As a person with teachers in the family and knowing a bit about this new age of ignorance by our youth, I have to agree
    that the curriculum part of our system is out of whack. My own kids, ages 38 and 40, remind me occasionally that much of what I know is no longer usefull. And the grandkids? They think I might have voted for George Washington. REALLY, the 8 year old grandson said that.
    When you make kids learn information that stopped being useful 40 years ago, they resent it. In one generation, mine, that has happened at least once. In current generations, it is happening in a shorter time frame.
    The DOE should be smaller and more agile and TRY to keep up with things...
    There was an education activist on Colbert last night (used to be the adminstrator of the DC school district. She proposed a radical conversion of the education system...remove the special interest groups and lobbies that dominate the curriculum and get back to actually teaching stuff...silly things like math, english, history, etc...crazy talk!

  2. #302
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And we had to walk uphill to get to the playgrounds. Both ways. In the snow!

    Hell...I still remember the day they turned on MTV...and when MTV actually showed music videos!
    What is MTV?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #303
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There was an education activist on Colbert last night (used to be the adminstrator of the DC school district. She proposed a radical conversion of the education system...remove the special interest groups and lobbies that dominate the curriculum and get back to actually teaching stuff...silly things like math, english, history, etc...crazy talk!
    Time to bring out the tar and feathers, and a fence rail?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #304
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    What is MTV?
    Well apparently now MTV is a network with about a dozen affiliates that routinely runs programming non-'Music' related. But it HAS given us national treasures like the cast from Jersey Shore.

  5. #305
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Time to bring out the tar and feathers, and a fence rail?
    To much work...just grab a rope...and not a new one...

  6. #306
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    I think the adults in my classes (like me - or older) are a good example of the mindset about overall education - I shall quote Betty (she's in her 60's) - we're taking developmental algebra together, "I don't know why they're teaching us this crap - it's not like we're going to use it ever."

    Jade from my Art History Class, "This class is a waste of time, I don't need to learn about art-history."

    Ashton from my Law Class - who refused to buy any of his books, he's content with getting C's in all his classes and graduating as a mediocre student into the health industry, "I know this should be important but I really don't give a damn."

    My law teachers, Mr Ray, "I really don't care much about teaching this subject, you all should have a good handle on it by now, so we won't really discuss it." (He was referring to chapters 2, 3, 4, 6 - concerning Ethics and Constitutional Law in Business Contracts and related legalities.)

    Why - even in conversations WITH my husband - am I one of the FEW people (in my life) that values a well rounded and solid education?

    Like Betty - she's back IN SCHOOL and she's a Grandma. Why? Because of her attitude - she never DID care about education and still doesn't - she's only taking classes because she needs something to put towards a new job.

    And now - with all the employment issues in the country going on - many people who HAVE degrees are finding they still can't find jobs with them. Why this is - I have no clue - because I was always told that 'any degree is a good degree' and now that's no longer true. WHAT degree you get matters significantly - but tell that to an 18 or 19 year old who has that "I dont' actually care" attitude about work, education and their future.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 12-02-10 at 11:55 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #307
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I think the adults in my classes (like me - or older) are a good example of the mindset about overall education - I shall quote Betty (she's in her 60's) - we're taking developmental algebra together, "I don't know why they're teaching us this crap - it's not like we're going to use it ever."

    Jade from my Art History Class, "This class is a waste of time, I don't need to learn about art-history."

    Ashton from my Law Class - who refused to buy any of his books, he's content with getting C's in all his classes and graduating as a mediocre student into the health industry, "I know this should be important but I really don't give a damn."

    My law teachers, Mr Ray, "I really don't care much about teaching this subject, you all should have a good handle on it by now, so we won't really discuss it." (He was referring to chapters 2, 3, 4, 6 - concerning Ethics and Constitutional Law in Business Contracts and related legalities.)

    Why - even in conversations WITH my husband - am I one of the FEW people (in my life) that values a well rounded and solid education?

    Like Betty - she's back IN SCHOOL and she's a Grandma. Why? Because of her attitude - she never DID care about education and still doesn't - she's only taking classes because she needs something to put towards a new job.

    And now - with all the employment issues in the country going on - many people who HAVE degrees are finding they still can't find jobs with them. Why this is - I have no clue - because I was always told that 'any degree is a good degree' and now that's no longer true. WHAT degree you get matters significantly - but tell that to an 18 or 19 year old who has that "I dont' actually care" attitude about work, education and their future.
    Kids today have only to look at their parents to see, all too often, that education isn't doing them much good. Speaking just for myself, as a skilled electronics tech and reactor operator, MUCH of what they insisted I learn has never been used outside the classroom. How many schools require geometry? It has such limited use in the real world that it should be a college subject, not high school. English Lit? Whitewashed history?
    In my later years I took to reading history and politics. I learned a lot, so much that it makes me sick to realize that much of it was lies, and the true parts only make me aware of how futile it is to try to change directions of the system.
    Career politicians are a crime against the people....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #308
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Kids today have only to look at their parents to see, all too often, that education isn't doing them much good. Speaking just for myself, as a skilled electronics tech and reactor operator, MUCH of what they insisted I learn has never been used outside the classroom. How many schools require geometry? It has such limited use in the real world that it should be a college subject, not high school. English Lit? Whitewashed history?
    In my later years I took to reading history and politics. I learned a lot, so much that it makes me sick to realize that much of it was lies, and the true parts only make me aware of how futile it is to try to change directions of the system.
    Career politicians are a crime against the people....
    Maybe it's how people apply their knowledge that has changed, as well.
    I fully intend on making use of my knowledge of law, political, business, math to improve and further my views and my employment standings in the future. So - I want to learn as much as possible. Not so much to earn an A in all my classes - but to have as much knowledge of our world, how it works, and what doesn't work - so I can apply it.

    I'm aiming to become an actuary with my degree in Risk Management. . . so maybe I see sociology and all that as a key importance to what I intend on doing.

    But before I returned to college I spent most of my time being a sahm - and working on our house. I had to self-teach myself various math formulas and so on so I could draw up new floor plans, apply for permission to build, and then actually plan out our projects and get them done right and done well.

    The one thing I thought I'd never used turned out to be the one thing I used all the time - every day (math - geometry, etc)
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #309
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Maybe it's how people apply their knowledge that has changed, as well.
    I fully intend on making use of my knowledge of law, political, business, math to improve and further my views and my employment standings in the future. So - I want to learn as much as possible. Not so much to earn an A in all my classes - but to have as much knowledge of our world, how it works, and what doesn't work - so I can apply it.

    I'm aiming to become an actuary with my degree in Risk Management. . . so maybe I see sociology and all that as a key importance to what I intend on doing.

    But before I returned to college I spent most of my time being a sahm - and working on our house. I had to self-teach myself various math formulas and so on so I could draw up new floor plans, apply for permission to build, and then actually plan out our projects and get them done right and done well.

    The one thing I thought I'd never used turned out to be the one thing I used all the time - every day (math - geometry, etc)
    geometry?
    what part of designing an ordinary house involves oddball shapes? Trig, yes, but geometry?
    I designed our last 2 houses...using only basic arithmetic.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #310
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    geometry?
    what part of designing an ordinary house involves oddball shapes? Trig, yes, but geometry?
    I designed our last 2 houses...using only basic arithmetic.
    What did it for me was the rules...and the lack of ability of some of my math professors to be able to explain the rules. For example...a negative x a negative = a positive. OK...but WHY?
    (and even though my professor couldnt answer the question, I did...had to write a paper on it...and that is the ONLY way I passed algebra three in college)(and BTW...the answer was found not in math but in electronics theory and design...who knew???)

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •