Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 403

Thread: Palin's reckless views on obesity

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Don't know what was veiled about it or where the pretense was. An 18 year-old saying "our thoughts are superior and we should do the thinking for you" should just go get fitted for the brown shirt right now. Anyone saying that, for that matter, but it's most common -- and dangerous -- among the inexperienced and intemperate youth.
    Fascism is not an ideology I have any particular sympathy for.

    Furthermore, the young voice is not one of any special significance. The Nazism you Godwin'd your post with was implemented by middle-aged men with doctoral degrees, and found its power base from Germans old enough to have a clear memory of the humiliation felt at Versailles.

  2. #212
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Fascism is not an ideology I have any particular sympathy for.

    Furthermore, the young voice is not one of any special significance. The Nazism you Godwin'd your post with was implemented by middle-aged men with doctoral degrees, and found its power base from Germans old enough to have a clear memory of the humiliation felt at Versailles.
    You Godwin'd it by saying "we should do the thinking for you." You claim to have "no sympathy," but if the brown shirt fits . . .

    It's pretty clear that if some "middle aged men" spouting the rhetoric you espouse aimed you at a group of, say, religiously observant people and told you to mess them up, you'd probably do it. Everything you've posted indicates you would. You have all the requisite intolerance, arrogance, and youthful boister.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #213
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by E_Pluribus_Venom View Post
    Getting goverment out of health care and opening up room for competition is your answer to obesity? You just danced into anti-government rhetoric.
    There IS but one answer to resolve the problem of obesity. Let em die.

    OK...I KNOW that sounds harsh...but hear me out...

    The more we do FOR people the less they do for THEMSELVES. History has proven that to be factual. With all the government giveaway programs we have we dont have LESS dependent people we have MORE. The honest and HELPFUL answer is to tell people to start by damn doing for themselves. YES people are going to struggle and suffer and yes there would have to be MASSIVE changes in the way we provide community services (volunteer charity with the expectation of success and progress and EFFORT by the recipient) but in the long run it will HELP not hurt or hinder.

    I know...I know...its cruel. Its mean. Its heartless. Meanwhile...we continue to experience greater problems...not because we dont help ENOUGH. Because we do too much.

    Slogans dont help. New government programs dont help. The "Move It" prgram is going to be as effective as the last program...its NOT. But dang it will make us all feel good about ourselves.

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You called her, basically, a "fetus," and "barely human." I didn't say anything remotely similar.
    You just COMPLETELY discounted somebody based on lack of life experience. As did I.

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There IS but one answer to resolve the problem of obesity. Let em die.
    How the hell did we get from educating schoolchildren (just like Pres Kennedy's physical fitness challenge) to meddling in lives? Seriously, this conversation has given me a massive headache. The part of no, right here at DP.

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    906

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You Godwin'd it by saying "we should do the thinking for you." You claim to have "no sympathy," but if the brown shirt fits . . .

    It's pretty clear that if some "middle aged men" spouting the rhetoric you espouse aimed you at a group of, say, religiously observant people and told you to mess them up, you'd probably do it. Everything you've posted indicates you would. You have all the requisite intolerance, arrogance, and youthful boister.
    Godwin's Law has a specific definition, which my post did not meet.

    Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Secondly, you'll have to find a rhetorical device less pathetic than saying "oh well I bet YOU are eager to do just this horrible thing 'X', aren't you?" I don't even have a real response to it, because it isn't a point or argument of any kind.

  7. #217
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    How the hell did we get from educating schoolchildren (just like Pres Kennedy's physical fitness challenge) to meddling in lives? Seriously, this conversation has given me a massive headache. The part of no, right here at DP.
    BD...Ive seen you on this site for a long time. You are a smart person. When did these education programs start? Be HONEST for Gods sake. The earliest I know of is the 70's, under Nixon...witht he Presidents Program on Physical Fitness. It has been in effect ever since. You REALLY think this is helping? It is an institutionalized problem. If your answers havent worked for 30 years...you might want to rethink the problem. And we arent talking about poor people...underpriveleged...we are talking obesity ACROSS THE SPECTRUM.
    It requires more than Sesame Street and Zoom answers.

  8. #218
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by Patria Antiqua View Post
    Godwin's Law has a specific definition, which my post did not meet.

    Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Secondly, you'll have to find a rhetorical device less pathetic than saying "oh well I bet YOU are eager to do just this horrible thing 'X', aren't you?" I don't even have a real response to it, because it isn't a point or argument of any kind.
    Of course you don't have a response, because what you write is thuggish and indefensible. Your only choices are to dig deeper or deny that you said what you said. Either way it looks bad.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #219
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    You just COMPLETELY discounted somebody based on lack of life experience. As did I.
    I didn't say what you said, and it wasn't concerning the same thing at all. Sorry.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #220
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Palin's reckless views on obesity

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    How the hell did we get from educating schoolchildren (just like Pres Kennedy's physical fitness challenge) to meddling in lives? Seriously, this conversation has given me a massive headache. The part of no, right here at DP.
    Im assuming you meant 'party' of no? One, Im not a republican. Two, when the same failed programs havent worked after (OK...going back to Kennedy) 40 years, maybe NO is the correct response to failed policies? Three, how is implying that we need to change and increase our expectation of people and stop spoonfeeding them a 'no'?

    TELL me you havent seen spoiled adults because their mommies and daddies did everything for them...even (no...ESPECIALLY) among the wealthy. And that helps them HOW exactly?

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •