Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 84

Thread: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Here's a wild thought... why don't we completely eliminate throwing taxpayer money away on crap food for school lunches and give kids ONLY healthy choices?
    Sure, that's an interesting idea. It seems one the administration doesn't like but would instead like to just continue to throw taxpayer money away by methods such as this.

  2. #42
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,589

    Re: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    I guess you missed the fact that I was doing the same thing.
    If you say so.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #43
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Here's a wild thought... why don't we completely eliminate throwing taxpayer money away on crap food for school lunches and give kids ONLY healthy choices?
    That sounds great!

    Could you provide a sample menu, say, for one week of elementary school?


  4. #44
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Here's a wild thought... why don't we completely eliminate throwing taxpayer money away on crap food for school lunches and give kids ONLY healthy choices?
    I spend $1500 on school lunches for my kids every year. Without taxpayer-funding my schools have already put salad-bars and healthy snacks (veggies and fruits for the younger kids) into motion. It's been like this for years.

    But you're actually telling me that other kids shouldnt' be given the same good food that my kids get, that my school district funded out of pocket and on their own initiative - because tax payers have to fund some of it for them or because their schools districts don't care *that much* about it - or because some of those kids are poor?

    Heck - if people receive foodstamps that they can buy lays potatoe chips and sodas with - then maybe their kids should be given some tomatoes and lettuce, too, without complaint?

    Of all the things the government spends BILLIONS on every year - feeding some healthy food to some unhealthy kids is NOT a problem for me.

    I take more issue with how it's distributed to other cuontries to fund their various war efforts. How it props up failing banks and business who don't want to do business the right way. Or even Congress' own fat wallets.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #45
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,150

    Re: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I spend $1500 on school lunches for my kids every year. Without taxpayer-funding my schools have already put salad-bars and healthy snacks (veggies and fruits for the younger kids) into motion. It's been like this for years.

    But you're actually telling me that other kids shouldnt' be given the same good food that my kids get, that my school district funded out of pocket and on their own initiative - because tax payers have to fund some of it for them or because their schools districts don't care *that much* about it - or because some of those kids are poor?

    Heck - if people receive foodstamps that they can buy lays potatoe chips and sodas with - then maybe their kids should be given some tomatoes and lettuce, too, without complaint?

    Of all the things the government spends BILLIONS on every year - feeding some healthy food to some unhealthy kids is NOT a problem for me.

    I take more issue with how it's distributed to other cuontries to fund their various war efforts. How it props up failing banks and business who don't want to do business the right way. Or even Congress' own fat wallets.
    seems that your children are fortunate to attend school where there is a concern about the food choices the students receive
    i doubt that a white house decree telling these other less inclined schools to now roll out a salad bar is going to cause much of a difference
    what cuts in existing meals will they have to make to be able to now afford to offer very perishable fresh vegetables/fruits?
    is there anything telling us that elementary age kids, who may not be inclined to use good sanitation methods, and whose small height make sneeze guards ineffective, will not actually make something intended to be more healthy, less healthy in practice?
    i see this as another 'throw money at the problem' approach. that inclination has not benefited our nation's public school system or our health care system. why should we believe this knee jerk response is going to actually improve the diets of our kids?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #46
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

    My fellow Americans, take a look at the majority composition of this country:

    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #47
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    1. It doesn't matter if the kids in question are fat or not. The underlying argument presented by the right-wingers in the Soda-buying thread is that "fast food and soda are BAD for kids and should not EVER be funded by taxpayers." Do you agree? If so, how can you condone taxpayer-funded school lunches that include any sort of unhealthy fast foods? You should be just as outraged as they were in the Soda-buying thread. Should we be surprised that you're not?

    2. I have at least as much "data" that fast foods make kids fat as do the whiners in the Soda-buying thread that families on food stamps are putting their kids at serious health risk by bringing home the occasional soda.




    3. A kid that refuses to eat a salad at school is most likely a kid that isn't made to eat healthily at home [and shut the hell up with your lack of "personal responsibility" in eating properly, you ungrateful brat!]. Anything less from those "personal responsibility" whiners in the Soda-buying thread is pure, unadulterated hypocrisy.
    If you think that anything I said is incompatible with the notion that we should rework our public school cafeterias to include more healthy food, then I think you should go back and reread that thread.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #48
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,589

    Re: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    My fellow Americans, take a look at the majority composition of this country:

    It isn't.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #49
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

    "Don't I?" - Glinda

    No.

    I think you will find that once you step-off your soap-box and spend the time necessary to care for your own family you won't have the time to interfere with other people's families.

    I sure that other parents are just as qualified as you in raising thier own children.

    You should let them.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  10. #50
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: White House to put up to 5,000 salad bars in schools

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    "Don't I?" - Glinda

    No.

    I think you will find that once you step-off your soap-box and spend the time necessary to care for your own family you won't have the time to interfere with other people's families.

    I sure that other parents are just as qualified as you in raising thier own children.

    You should let them.
    Perhaps, then, the people you should be getting pissed at are ALL THE PEOPLE who ****ed their health and their children's health - and then demanded the government *do something about ti* for so long that the government actually started to listen.

    These are the same people who cried out for the government to 'fix the insurance companies' - and that led to the passing of AACHA.

    That's actually why I support such measures - because now we're ****ed out of millions because of the AACHA and other measures - all because some people were loud mouthed and whiny and unwilling to accept the results of their own decisions in life.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 11-27-10 at 01:52 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •