Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 286

Thread: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

  1. #51
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    so RightinNYC

    why don't you take the promises that were made in the debate over the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts and present your own authoritative evidence that they did just what they promised?

    I simply cannot find any.
    Because I'm not the person who started a thread claiming that I could prove something. Do your own research.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    91,196

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Because I'm not the person who started a thread claiming that I could prove something. Do your own research.
    So you cannot even support your own position with anything more than an opinion?

    You see, I have done the research. I have looked. And I cannot find anything which supports the idea that cutting taxes on the top 2% of people translates into jobs for the rest of us. Such figures do not exist because the reality supersedes the ideological theory and belief.

    But should anyone find them, please present them.

    It is rank insanity for a nation to be considering adding hundreds of billions of dollars to the deficit by extending expensive tax cuts on the wealthiest Americans without hard and fast proof to back it up.

    So please.... please... please... lets see the facts here.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #53
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So you cannot even support your own position with anything more than an opinion?
    Can you show me where in this thread I've stated my position? My only position so far is that you and FilmFestGuy don't understand a fairly basic principle of logic.

    You see, I have done the research. I have looked. And I cannot find anything which supports the idea that cutting taxes on the top 2% of people translates into jobs for the rest of us. Such figures do not exist because the reality supersedes the ideological theory and belief.
    Oh, well if you say so!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    91,196

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    from RightinNYC

    My only position so far is that you and FilmFestGuy don't understand a fairly basic principle of logic.
    Screw logic. And theory. And opinion. And belief systems. And axioms. And anything else other than hard and cold facts.

    Oh, well if you say so!
    Sorry but I cannot provide evidence of something that does not exist. If you feel it does exist, not its on you to provide proof of it.
    But you will not because it does not.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-21-10 at 03:37 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You are unfamiliar with the concept of revolution?
    Of course I am.

    Which one did you have in mind?

    In other words, instead of answering a question with an evasive and rather foolish response, why not say where and when it happened before?

    Here's a reminder.

    "It has happened. And it could again".

    Which event are you referring to, OK? Let's have your "hard and cold facts."
    Last edited by Grant; 11-21-10 at 03:41 PM.

  6. #56
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Screw logic. And theory. And opinion. And belief systems. And axioms. And anything else other than hard and cold facts.
    Facts are useless without the cognitive capability to understand and interpret them.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    91,196

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Facts are useless without the cognitive capability to understand and interpret them.
    Oh I do not mind your fancy understandings and interpretations. I can even accept your high opinion and axioms. Just please give me the facts first that you base them on.

    Grant - you are aware of events like The French Revolution and the Russian Revolution where the rich were the victim of the mob - right?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #58
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Oh I do not mind your fancy understandings and interpretations. I can even accept your high opinion and axioms. Just please give me the facts first that you base them on.
    wtf are you even talking about?

    Again, please show me where I have made an assertion about the effect of tax cuts on growth. All I've done is point out your own logical flaws.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post

    Grant - you are aware of events like The French Revolution and the Russian Revolution where the rich were the victim of the mob - right?
    Here's what you said earlier.

    "but we will roast the geese upon our fires and pick our teeth with their smaller bones. and it will be good".

    Then you went on to say, "It has happened. And it could again".

    Certainly I understand revolutions, as do we all, but what event did you have in mind that could find some connection with the United States today?

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    91,196

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    The future is a blank slate upon nothing is yet written. History tells us that when society becomes too far tilted towards the rich and powerful that there is a correction. Sometimes that correction can take place within the peaceful guidelines of the established order. Sometimes it does not. I believe the book ANATOMY OF A REVOLUTION explains this far better than I could.

    I see people here... and not just here ... but on sites like this and in bars and colleges all over the land who believe so deeply in ideology. They subscribe to isms and axioms and belief systems. To me, that is all crap. Less than crap since manure has a very utilitarian use in gardens. ideology fails even in that usage. i happen to think that America is a really neat place... maybe the place place ever. And I think the key to that is a thriving and large middle class which is the straw that stirs the drink. And I shudder and want to cry when I see the middle class shrinking and the gains of the 20th century under attack all in the name of goddamn ideology.

    I see people here and elsewhere who worship money like a god and think that we are still in the late 18th century. They think that if you make a lot of money that you don't need a toilet in your house because you are above such basic functions. They kiss the posterior of the rich and crave to be rich themselves so they can piss upon the rest of us. I see people talk about the problems of the lower classes but probably have not spent a day being a minority at any time in their life in any situation. I feel sorrow for these people and I feel contempt for them.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-21-10 at 05:12 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •