Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 286

Thread: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

  1. #91
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Screw the concept.

    Show us the jobs created by the Bush tax cuts.
    I'm not claiming that they created jobs.

    I'm claiming that it's idiotic to argue that because the economy grew slower than average, the tax cuts must not have caused growth.

    This is incredibly basic logic and should be understood by anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a high school education. I'm neither your parent nor your tutor, so I don't give enough of a **** to try to explain this to you any further.

    Have a good night.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    from RightinNYC

    I'm not claiming that they created jobs.
    Then you are alone on the rightwing in that regard.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #93
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    from RightinNYC



    Then you are alone on the rightwing in that regard.
    No he's not. I went through three or four posts explaining exactly how it affects the economy. You just chose to ignore that and create a straw-man argument that you thought you could easily knock. But don't take my word for it, let's see the official Republican Platform from 2000 when they ran on tax cuts:

    Cut taxes to stimulate economy and help families
    Budget surpluses are the result of over-taxation of the American people. The weak link in the chain of prosperity is the tax system. It not only burdens the American people; it threatens to slow, and perhaps to reverse, the economic expansion: We therefore enthusiastically endorse the principles of Governor Bush’s Tax Cut:
    Replace the five current tax brackets with four lower ones, ensuring all taxpayers significant tax relief while targeting it especially toward low-income workers.
    Help families by doubling the child tax credit to $1,000, making it available to more families, and eliminating the marriage penalty.
    Encourage entrepreneurship and growth by capping the top marginal rate, ending the death tax, and making permanent the Research and Development credit.
    Promote charitable giving and education.
    Foster capital investment and savings to boost today’s dangerously low personal savings rate.
    Source: Republican Platform adopted at GOP National Convention Aug 12, 2000

    Republican Party on the Issues
    They never say if you cut taxes the economy will magically grow. They say the economy will be helped, promoted, stimulated, etc. Your straw-man is debunked.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  4. #94
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    No he's not. I went through three or four posts explaining exactly how it affects the economy. You just chose to ignore that and create a straw-man argument that you thought you could easily knock. But don't take my word for it, let's see the official Republican Platform from 2000 when they ran on tax cuts:



    They never say if you cut taxes the economy will magically grow. They say the economy will be helped, promoted, stimulated, etc. Your straw-man is debunked.
    Budget surpluses are the result of over-taxation of the American people. The weak link in the chain of prosperity is the tax system. It not only burdens the American people; it threatens to slow, and perhaps to reverse, the economic expansion:
    This part here is a real hoot.

    Note in line #46 of my link that 1999 and 2000 there was no borrowing from Chinese, from the year there is a steady stream of debt.Kinda looks like the repugs brought the prosperity that we now face doesn't it?The ones in red with the -is the years we had to borrow to pay for the bush taxcuts.

    Net lending or net borrowing 1999= 95.0/ 2000=184.7/ 2001=-34.2/2002=/2003=-278.0/2004=-422.2 2005=-426.8/ 2006=-352.4/2007 -247.2/2008-315.0


    U.S. Department of Commerce. Bureau of Economic Analysis
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  5. #95
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    This part here is a real hoot.

    Note in line #46 of my link that 1999 and 2000 there was no borrowing from Chinese, from the year there is a steady stream of debt.Kinda looks like the repugs brought the prosperity that we now face doesn't it?The ones in red with the -is the years we had to borrow to pay for the bush taxcuts.

    Net lending or net borrowing 1999= 95.0/ 2000=184.7/ 2001=-34.2/2002=/2003=-278.0/2004=-422.2 2005=-426.8/ 2006=-352.4/2007 -247.2/2008-315.0


    U.S. Department of Commerce. Bureau of Economic Analysis
    Who said anything about spending? Spending and Taxes are only related in that they are on the same balance sheet. The rest is unrelated.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #96
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,634

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It's more a common talking point among those on the right who cannot formulate real arguments. When you cannot outdebate people, demonize them.
    and when leftwingers cannot reply rationally they make stuff up. I have never argued the jobs angle and you know that. So the strawman is worthless and yes, haymarket has engaged in class warfare based arguments.

    You fail



  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    from Turtle

    No he's not. I went through three or four posts explaining exactly how it affects the economy. You just chose to ignore that and create a straw-man argument that you thought you could easily knock. But don't take my word for it, let's see the official Republican Platform from 2000 when they ran on tax cuts:
    I have little doubt that you are more than happy to cut taxes even if there is no evidence of creating jobs. You do not have to prove that to me. Your many posts have shown quite clearly where your allegiances and concerns are. However, there are plenty of Republican politicians, conservative think tanks, and right wingers who sold us this bogus bill of goods back in 2001 and 2003 and are now trying to sell it to us again.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #98
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,634

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    from Turtle



    I have little doubt that you are more than happy to cut taxes even if there is no evidence of creating jobs. You do not have to prove that to me. Your many posts have shown quite clearly where your allegiances and concerns are. However, there are plenty of Republican politicians, conservative think tanks, and right wingers who sold us this bogus bill of goods back in 2001 and 2003 and are now trying to sell it to us again.
    wrong poster-try again



  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    If you think that "correlation =/= causation" is an "obscure platitude," then that proves my point better than anything else I've said in this thread.
    And what "proof" might that be?

    Even here you're deflecting again instead of giving a straight answer which I find somewhat disturbing coming for you, a poster I generally respect for his intellect, tact and honesty, when you make such commentary as this:

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I'm not claiming that they created jobs.

    I'm claiming that it's idiotic to argue that because the economy grew slower than average, the tax cuts must not have caused growth.

    This is incredibly basic logic and should be understood by anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a high school education. I'm neither your parent nor your tutor, so I don't give enough of a **** to try to explain this to you any further.

    Have a good night.
    Haymarket asked a very simple question that even Conservative should be able to do with his "at-the-ready cut-N-paste" answers - show evidence that tax cuts did, in fact, create the jobs that Republicans/Conservatives claim they should/would have. As far as I'm concerned, the Bush tax cuts failed. America's evidence is the recession and the high unemployment rate we're still trying to get control over.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 11-22-10 at 09:34 AM.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Were the Bush Tax Cuts Good for Growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    This part here is a real hoot.

    Note in line #46 of my link that 1999 and 2000 there was no borrowing from Chinese, from the year there is a steady stream of debt.Kinda looks like the repugs brought the prosperity that we now face doesn't it?The ones in red with the -is the years we had to borrow to pay for the bush taxcuts.

    Net lending or net borrowing 1999= 95.0/ 2000=184.7/ 2001=-34.2/2002=/2003=-278.0/2004=-422.2 2005=-426.8/ 2006=-352.4/2007 -247.2/2008-315.0


    U.S. Department of Commerce. Bureau of Economic Analysis
    There is little doubt that there was too much spending during the Bush administration but it should also be noted that he was struck by a few national disasters, 9/11 chef among them. Nonetheless, his party supporters felt there was too much spending (polls would reflect this) and this gave birth to the Tea Party movement, a group of Americans who want spending brought under some control.

    Americans can give 90% of their income to the politicians but would this assure that the country is debt free? Of course not. They'll just spend more. If the government cannot follow ts own budget then why bother having one? And if they run out of spending money, as indeed they have, they''ll simply borrow more and raise more taxes.. Some Americans seem to be fine with this but any responsible government, or educated individual, would not be so lackadaisical regarding over the top spending.

    Just sending more money to governments because they want it is irresponsible, and blaming one person or party for the problem is useless. Unless the American people themselves get serious about government spending then they'll have a problem from which they'll be unlikely to recover.

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •