Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 436

Thread: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

  1. #371
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    So you claim that NOT invading Iraq would have, in the long run, absolutely, completely, without a doubt, cost less lives, money, and resources ?
    What you fail to realize, and NEOCON Cheney didn't want us to remember, was that Iraq endured years of sanctions where Saddam was only allowed a $billion a year from his oil sales, and when you divide that into 23 million Iraqis, it's $43 a year per person. That's the reason he had to disband his army and cut back on everything else.

    In other words, Iraq was a helpless sitting duck when we invaded, not the military force it once was ten years before.

    ricksfolly

  2. #372
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    What you fail to realize, and NEOCON Cheney didn't want us to remember, was that Iraq endured years of sanctions where Saddam was only allowed a $billion a year from his oil sales, and when you divide that into 23 million Iraqis, it's $43 a year per person. That's the reason he had to disband his army and cut back on everything else.
    Dictators do NOT cut back on paying what they need to maintain their strangle hold on power. Komeneni, Castro, and Kim, are all perfect examples. The people will all starve to death before the dictators relinquish their power and lavish lifestyle.

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    In other words, Iraq was a helpless sitting duck when we invaded, not the military force it once was ten years before.
    If you were under the impression that iraq was "the military force it once was ten years before" Then that is your own personal misunderstanding.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  3. #373
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    So you claim that NOT invading Iraq would have, in the long run, absolutely, completely, without a doubt, cost less lives, money, and resources than what occurred?

    How do you claim to know alternate futures in such complex things as world politics?
    With reason and logic. We factually increased the death rate by invading. All the problems with the sanctions were magi nified with war, and those deaths are not counted in the current death totals. We certainly wouldn't have spent the billion, trillions we've spent. Hard to argue otherwise. Nor would we have spent as many resources, espeically in lives.

    Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with my claim being likely.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #374
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Yeah.. nothing occured under Clinton to cause the result. Clinton dealt wonderfully with N.K. and his policies regarding them were unmitigated successes. It's all bush's fault. What would I do without your wonderful pearls of wisdom?
    NK's nuke was developed under Bush. And before you go with the NK was cheating under Clinton, there is a NYT's article I posted on WS some years ago showing the CIA merely said that, without actual proof. I won't look it up again, but you can if you want. Bush created a situation that said, if you want to deal with the US, you better have a nuke. because that is the only way you can be assured we won't invade.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #375
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    NK's nuke was developed under Bush. And before you go with the NK was cheating under Clinton, there is a NYT's article I posted on WS some years ago showing the CIA merely said that, without actual proof. I won't look it up again, but you can if you want. Bush created a situation that said, if you want to deal with the US, you better have a nuke. because that is the only way you can be assured we won't invade.
    I guess that's fine - as long as you completely ignore North Korea's histroy prior to the iraq war. You miust be one of those that believe history started with Bush and Iraq.

  6. #376
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I guess that's fine - as long as you completely ignore North Korea's histroy prior to the iraq war. You miust be one of those that believe history started with Bush and Iraq.
    Behavior of what exactly? Sure, he tried to get as much as he could, and continues to do so, but nuclear weapon development was under Bush.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #377
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Behavior of what exactly? Sure, he tried to get as much as he could, and continues to do so, but nuclear weapon development was under Bush.
    And somehow ridiculously believe that N.Korea's nuke program only took 2 years to complete. Probably even shorter, since it was believed they had nuclear weapons before they finally declared themselves a nuclear power.

    I should join you in the clouds. I've always enjoyed far out trips.

  8. #378
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    And somehow ridiculously believe that N.Korea's nuke program only took 2 years to complete. Probably even shorter, since it was believed they had nuclear weapons before they finally declared themselves a nuclear power.

    I should join you in the clouds. I've always enjoyed far out trips.
    Who said it was complete? And who siad there wasn't something there before. There was actually work before Clinton. Again, it helps to be fully informed. Am I responsible for catching you up on this?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #379
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Who said it was complete? And who siad there wasn't something there before. There was actually work before Clinton. Again, it helps to be fully informed. Am I responsible for catching you up on this?
    Ah, so now you claim that actions taken by the Clinton admin did have something to do with them obtaining nukes.... Got it.

    Was this activity that took place under the Clinton admin occuring while they were proclaiming to the world that N.Korea was isolated and just posturing?
    Last edited by buck; 11-17-10 at 03:16 PM.

  10. #380
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wikileaks show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq-With Surprising Results

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Ah, so now you claim that actions taken by the Clinton admin did have something to do with it... Got it.

    Was this activity that took place under the Clinton admin while they were claiming that N.Korea was isolated and just posturing?
    No. I make no such claim. I said before Clinton. Agreements put the program on hold. Bush's actions restarted them. However, I would also argue that a combination of Bush and Clinton would have been a better policy than either by itself. Clinton engaged and got concessions, and Bush involved more countries. Together would ahve produced better results all around.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •