Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

  1. #41
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Is any one screaming "racist" yet? However, the real issue is not race(blacks and hispanics are not more likely for teen pregnancy simply because of their race), but sex ed.
    BS, if that was true then white kids would have similar teen pregnancy rates because in any given region the white kids get the same sex ed as the black kids. they don't have separate black and white sex ed classes. That indicates that either the sex ed is not that big a factor or culture is a bigger factor.

    ie, two girls sit in the same sex ed class, one gets pregnant and the other doesn't. how can you say that the sex ed did or did not play a factor in the one girl not getting pregnant?


    a more telling survey would be to break the study down by race/culture. what is the teen pregnancy rate among whites in Vermont compared to the teen pregnancy rate for whites in Texas? break the study down according to race and you can take the race factor out of the equation and produce a more focused reliable study. or break it down by socio economic grouping. anything to reduce/eliminate variables.

    but they won't do that because they are afraid the results will show that regardless of the sex ed classes they get minorities and low socio-economic groups will have a higher rate of teen pregnancy..and god forbid we can't admit that. better to stick our heads in the sand and blame "abstinence based sex ed".
    Last edited by OscarB63; 10-22-10 at 04:42 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #42
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i don't recall anyone screaming racist....but i might be hard of hearing.
    although he didn't come right out and say it...the accusation was implied in several of Kandahar's posts.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #43
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    BS, if that was true then white kids would have similar teen pregnancy rates because in any given region the white kids get the same sex ed as the black kids. they don't have separate black and white sex ed classes. That indicates that either the sex ed is not that big a factor or culture is a bigger factor.

    ie, two girls sit in the same sex ed class, one gets pregnant and the other doesn't. how can you say that the sex ed did or did not play a factor in the one girl not getting pregnant?


    a more telling survey would be to break the study down by race/culture. what is the teen pregnancy rate among whites in Vermont compared to the teen pregnancy rate for whites in Texas? break the study down according to race and you can take the race factor out of the equation and produce a more focused reliable study. or break it down by socio economic grouping. anything to reduce/eliminate variables.

    that is my problem with this study. it is overly simplistic and therefore misleading.
    um...psst.......you didn't read the study, did you? then how can you have a problem with it? whites in kentucky are MUCH more likely to get pregnat than whites in the northeast.
    Last edited by liblady; 10-22-10 at 04:42 PM.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #44
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    um...psst.......you didn't read the study, did you? then how can you have a problem with it? whites in kentucky are MUCH more likely to get pregnat than whites in the northeast.
    obviously you missed the "socio economic" bit. what is the biggest difference between whites in Kentucky and whites in the northeast? hint, it ain't the kind of sex ed classes they are getting.

    sex ed is a red herring designed to distract from the real reason behind the disparity in teen pregnancy rates. culture and socio-economic standing.

    edit: also, what the hell is it with "you" people. any time someone disagrees with you, your first battle cry is to accuse them of not reading the study. you know, sometimes people get tired of weeding through 6 freakin pages of links to actually get to a study. If the study is that damn good, why do you have to click 3-4 links to get to it? after reading 3 pages of crap, I gave up, so I'm not sure if I ever saw the damn study itself or not.
    Last edited by OscarB63; 10-22-10 at 04:54 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #45
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    then how do you explain oklahoma and california? and when i said culture, i meant all culture, not just minority culture. because yes, southern states can be backward. i live in one. btw, how are you?
    CA seems to be the exception rather than the rule. CA is a large state with a huge population. I am almost certain if you look at the statistics vs separate area's of CA, the numbers would be far more disparaging in primarily minority communities.

    Thanks liblady, I am fine. Good to see you as well!
    Last edited by Black Dog; 10-22-10 at 04:48 PM.

  6. #46
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    BS, if that was true then white kids would have similar teen pregnancy rates because in any given region the white kids get the same sex ed as the black kids. they don't have separate black and white sex ed classes. That indicates that either the sex ed is not that big a factor or culture is a bigger factor.

    ie, two girls sit in the same sex ed class, one gets pregnant and the other doesn't. how can you say that the sex ed did or did not play a factor in the one girl not getting pregnant?


    a more telling survey would be to break the study down by race/culture. what is the teen pregnancy rate among whites in Vermont compared to the teen pregnancy rate for whites in Texas? break the study down according to race and you can take the race factor out of the equation and produce a more focused reliable study. or break it down by socio economic grouping. anything to reduce/eliminate variables.

    but they won't do that because they are afraid the results will show that regardless of the sex ed classes they get minorities and low socio-economic groups will have a higher rate of teen pregnancy..and god forbid we can't admit that. better to stick our heads in the sand and blame "abstinence based sex ed".
    Apparently I am not being clear in my presentation. What I am saying is that race, in and of itself, is not the factor. Now, the fact that blacks tend to live in predominantly black communities with a difference in culture could very well be a factor, but that is not the race itself being a factor.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #47
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    obviously you missed the "socio economic" bit. what is the biggest difference between whites in Kentucky and whites in the northeast? hint, it ain't the kind of sex ed classes they are getting.

    sex ed is a red herring designed to distract from the real reason behind the disparity in teen pregnancy rates. culture and socio-economic standing.
    nope.....but nice try. you clearly DID NOT actually read the study, oscar. else your inital focus wouldn't have been on race, as it was, and you wouldn't have been bitching about how people think the south is backward. You suggested a racial survey would have meant more, but that's already in the survey, which you didn't read.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy ratesPlease do not do this
    Sorry. Was trying to make a point of absurdity here.

  9. #49
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Apparently I am not being clear in my presentation. What I am saying is that race, in and of itself, is not the factor. Now, the fact that blacks tend to live in predominantly black communities with a difference in culture could very well be a factor, but that is not the race itself being a factor.
    with that I agree. my point is that IF sex ed were the main factor, then one would expect everyone who gets the same education to have similar rates. this is not the case, therefore the sex ed cannot be the determining factor.

    minorities and whites in the south get the same abstinance based sex ed. minorities and whites in the south have different teen pregnancy rates. since the sex ed is the same, it cannot be the causative factor.

    a red ball and a blue ball roll down a ramp. the red ball reaches the botton first. you cannot blame the difference in speed on the incline of the ramp. the difference must be due to a difference in the balls themself.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #50
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    nope.....but nice try. you clearly DID NOT actually read the study, oscar. else your inital focus wouldn't have been on race, as it was, and you wouldn't have been bitching about how people think the south is backward. You suggested a racial survey would have meant more, but that's already in the survey, which you didn't read.
    nothing changes the fact that the conclusion that the study presents is overly simplistic and misleading. sex ed is not the primary factor. otherwise everyone who gets the same sex ed would have the same rates. they don't, so sex ed ain't it.


    care to actually address that?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •